Ford Kuga to be Built in the USA

Started by 2o6, March 01, 2009, 03:59:01 PM

2o6

Soup DeVille

I'd wager it will be sold as the next gen Escape.

Or as anything but a Kuga.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Good news, that is a pretty nice looking cute ute. It's based on the Fiesta, correct?

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: TBR on March 01, 2009, 04:14:22 PM
Good news, that is a pretty nice looking cute ute. It's based on the Fiesta, correct?

Focus.

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

2o6

Galaxy

Not ready untill 2011? They might as well wait for the next one then.  :huh:

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on March 01, 2009, 03:59:01 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/01/local-tv-reports-ford-kuga-to-be-made-in-louisville/

Hmmn. If it's true, then it should be a good replacement for the Escape.

Using the C1 platform, it would seem to be a competitor of the Matrix, et al.  The Escape is one notch larger.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

ifcar

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 02, 2009, 09:39:34 AM
Using the C1 platform, it would seem to be a competitor of the Matrix, et al.  The Escape is one notch larger.

The RAV4 is a Corolla, the CR-V a Civic, the Forester an Impreza.

2o6

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 02, 2009, 09:39:34 AM

CR-V is a tall civic, The Rav4 is a a corolla underneath. The Equinox and Vue have GM Delta (Cobalt/astra) roots, and the Sportage has spectra roots.

Tave

Does anyone remember the Seinfeld where the 'R' in the "Kruger Industrial Smoothing" sign fell out and Mr. Kruger just sat there with a blank face shouting "K-Uga, K-Uga, K-Uga?"
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

FoMoJo

Quote from: ifcar on March 02, 2009, 09:40:44 AM
The RAV4 is a Corolla, the CR-V a Civic, the Forester an Impreza.
The Escape is based on the C/D2 platform (suggestively) derived from the Mazda 626, et al.

The Matrix is, also, derived from the Corolla platform but it's not in the same market segment.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

ifcar

The current Escape is one of the smaller vehicles in its class.

FoMoJo

Quote from: ifcar on March 02, 2009, 11:06:35 AM
The current Escape is one of the smaller vehicles in its class.
Marginally and not in all respects as seen in this comparison

However, as I have just found the specifications for the 2008 Kuga I agree that it fits in with the Escape, et al class rather than the Matrix (and other funny little CUVs) class.

ifcar

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 02, 2009, 11:38:06 AM
Marginally and not in all respects as seen in this comparison

However, as I have just found the specifications for the 2008 Kuga I agree that it fits in with the Escape, et al class rather than the Matrix (and other funny little CUVs) class.

My point was that the current Escape isn't as big as competitors that are based on compact cars, so there's no reason an SUV based on a compact Ford couldn't be the same size or larger. And the specs back that up.

FoMoJo

Quote from: ifcar on March 02, 2009, 11:51:03 AM
My point was that the current Escape isn't as big as competitors that are based on compact cars, so there's no reason an SUV based on a compact Ford couldn't be the same size or larger. And the specs back that up.
...and I agree.  That's why I wanted to look at the specs for the Kuga. 

My initial thought was that it may be aimed at a more Matrix like market segment but, after finding the specs, that is not the case.  It'll be interesting to see how it's marketed in NA; unless they rename it Escape and discontinue the original platform.

Rupert

Oh good, another thing that looks just like the other things. That's fun.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on March 01, 2009, 04:23:02 PM

Yes. It's the only engine available, IIRC.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them swap the Volvo 2.5T I5 for the new Duratec/MZR 2.5 4 cylinder that's in the Fusion, Mazda3 and Mazda6.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on March 05, 2009, 08:48:32 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see them swap the Volvo 2.5T I5 for the new Duratec/MZR 2.5 4 cylinder that's in the Fusion, Mazda3 and Mazda6.
...as well as the new Escape, Tribute, et al.  It's quite efficient with the 6spd Auto; as we've experienced in my wife's '09 Escape.

TBR

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 06, 2009, 01:57:34 PM
...as well as the new Escape, Tribute, et al.  It's quite efficient with the 6spd Auto; as we've experienced in my wife's '09 Escape.

I'd be surprised if this isn't the next Escape and I suspect the Tribute is dead.

FoMoJo

Quote from: TBR on March 17, 2009, 09:35:59 AM
I'd be surprised if this isn't the next Escape and I suspect the Tribute is dead.
As it's based on a more common, and evolving platform, I would agree.

nickdrinkwater

The Kuga interior felt surprisingly cramped to me, considering how big it is.  I wonder if they will look at that before introducing it in the States.

the Teuton

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 24, 2009, 01:09:55 PM
The Kuga interior felt surprisingly cramped to me, considering how big it is.  I wonder if they will look at that before introducing it in the States.

The American RAV4 is about a foot longer than the Euro model and ours has a 270 hp V6 in it.  That being said, I'd be surprised if Ford didn't offer the 3.5 V6 and some more space in the American spec model to compete better, as well as give the world a hybrid version.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on March 24, 2009, 04:43:54 PM
The American RAV4 is about a foot longer than the Euro model and ours has a 270 hp V6 in it.  That being said, I'd be surprised if Ford didn't offer the 3.5 V6 and some more space in the American spec model to compete better, as well as give the world a hybrid version.
I want Ford to keep the Escape / Kuga smaller with seating for 5.  Why does everything have to be 7 passengers and 18' long?

USA_Idol

So Kuga is based on the Focus (I assume that's the newer Euro Focus).  Is the current Escape/Mariner/Tribute based on the current NA Focus platform?

I like the Kuga.  If it comes here as the Escape's replacement, that would not offend me in the least.   ;)

2o6

Quote from: USA_Idol on April 12, 2009, 09:14:46 PM
So Kuga is based on the Focus (I assume that's the newer Euro Focus).  Is the current Escape/Mariner/Tribute based on the current NA Focus platform?

I like the Kuga.  If it comes here as the Escape's replacement, that would not offend me in the least.   ;)

The Escape is based off the GD Mazda Platform. It's Mazda 626 based.

USA_Idol

Quote from: 2o6 on April 12, 2009, 09:27:19 PM
The Escape is based off the GD Mazda Platform. It's Mazda 626 based.

I looked it up after posting my question.  It's Ford's CD2 platform, which is derived from Mazda's GF platform.  But you're right, it is 626-based.