SATCAR RACING!!!!

Started by Eye of the Tiger, March 02, 2009, 10:02:42 AM

Eye of the Tiger

It's like bracket racing on a road course!

http://www.satcarracing.com/home.html

Here is an excerpt from the rule book:

SATCAR? FORMULA STREET ? races use Performance Parity Time (Hereinafter referred to as
PPT) to accomplish several goals:

Ÿ To allow drivers to compete in any car they have, as long as it is safe for track use. Any
modifications to the car do not affect its competitiveness in SATCAR? races, so drivers can
?Bring What You Own? and race it.

Ÿ To equalize the performance potential, and the opportunity to win, for all drivers within a race
group and to make driving skill the primary factor in determining results.

Ÿ To eliminate the potential of ?Buying? a win by having a car with more horsepower, wider or
stickier tires, etc.

Ÿ Eliminate the need for elaborate rules defining car eligibility and preparation, and the need to
monitor the adherence to those rules.

Ÿ Eliminate the need for protests regarding car preparation or legality relative to the rules. PPTs
will compensate for any variations in car preparation. NO PROTESTS will be allowed
regarding car preparation or equipment, except on the issues of in-car timing or
communications equipment.

This racing format will reward, and provide wins for, those drivers who can run consistent lap
times at or near, but no more than two seconds faster than, their qualifying times. Since vehicle
capabilities are neutralized by the PPTs, SATCAR? races are DRIVING SKILL events.

Estimated ANNUAL COSTS FOR FIVE RACES is $3,670, most of that being the $475/event entry fee.

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

That's a little expensive for amateur racing, I think.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on March 02, 2009, 10:04:18 AM

The entry fee is almost twice that of a NASA Time Trial event, but I think SATCAR gives you a lot more time on the track.

NomisR

So for these events? Rather go aiming for best times, you aim for consistent times?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on March 02, 2009, 04:08:07 PM
So for these events? Rather go aiming for best times, you aim for consistent times?

Yeah, but you set your own PPT time as far as I know. So, I'd guess you can drive as slow or as fast as you want as long as you follow the rules. The whole point is to drive in a safe manner so car preparation and damage is kept to a minimum.. The rules are strict - such as, you can only pass in designated areas.

CALL_911

Quote from: NomisR on March 02, 2009, 04:08:07 PM

That sounds kinda lame.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

NomisR

Quote from: NACar on March 02, 2009, 04:13:27 PM
Yeah, but you set your own PPT time as far as I know. So, I'd guess you can drive as slow or as fast as you want as long as you follow the rules. The whole point is to drive in a safe manner so car preparation and damage is kept to a minimum.. The rules are strict - such as, you can only pass in designated areas.

Doesn't sound fun at all, and 2 secs is a really big gap to come within, and depending on the size of the track, not difficult at all especially if you're only going after consistency.   

And if it's a mixed group.. that with limited passing, that may throw your time off by a lot which means there's really no benefit in trying to drive fast. Interesting concept though I suppose.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 02, 2009, 04:23:52 PM
That sounds kinda lame.

you're lame. you've never even driven on a race track.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on March 02, 2009, 10:04:18 AM

That's way on the cheap side, mon ami.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator