Test Drive: 2009 Pontiac G8 V6

Started by SVT666, March 04, 2009, 05:42:26 PM

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 04, 2009, 10:56:16 PM
I wouldn't say extremely well.  I would say it handles very well, but it ain't the poor man's BMW like it's been touted.  Maybe I've just been spoiled with my SVT, but it wasn't what I was expecting after reading all those reviews.

Very well versus Extremely well I suppose is a good distinction.  But it's miles ahead of anything else Pontiac builds minus the Solstice, and it weighs more than most of them.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 05, 2009, 11:16:59 AM
I think Pontiac knew what it was doing with the compromises to get the MSRPs at $32k and below. A few grand extra for a more upscale interior would have  had it bumping into the base models near-luxury marques; CTS, TL, G37, ES350, etc.

It's all for naught. The G8 was an abject sales disaster even before the financial crash, and it wasn't because of the interior I don't think.

FWIW, I think it looks fantastic. Haven't driven one let alone sit in one, but I never been a big critique of interiors.
Like I said in my review, I can overlook the interior problems.  It's the way it drives that I'm disappointed in.

TBR

I think Pontiac knew what it was doing with the compromises to get the MSRPs at $32k and below. A few grand extra for a more upscale interior would have  had it bumping into the base models near-luxury marques; CTS, TL, G37, ES350, etc.

It's all for naught. The G8 was an abject sales disaster even before the financial crash, and it wasn't because of the interior I don't think.

FWIW, I think it looks fantastic. Haven't driven one let alone sit in one, but I never been a big critique of interiors.

We actually agree on something!

I have always said I don't care too much about how most of the interior is built, as long as what I actually touch feels nice (any rotary controls (it's hard to mess up a simple button), the gear lever, and the steering wheel) and everything else looks nice.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on March 05, 2009, 11:22:21 AM
Very well versus Extremely well I suppose is a good distinction.  But it's miles ahead of anything else Pontiac builds minus the Solstice, and it weighs more than most of them.
True, and like I said in my review, it's nowhere near as good as what the magazines would lead you to believe, but you can't beat it for the price.  

At full MSRP it's hard to ignore the G37 Sedan M6 for $44,590 which is only $2200 more.  A G8 GT with leather has a Canadian MSRP of $40,430 to $42,335 depending on options, but with the $9500 rebate, that's a $30,930 to $32,835 car.  That's pretty damn good, and for that price it's a no brainer.  I would buy the car in a heartbeat with those discounts if I was in the market.  I could always install stiffer roll bars to improve handling.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 05, 2009, 11:38:22 AM
True, and like I said in my review, it's nowhere near as good as what the magazines would lead you to believe, but you can't beat it for the price.  

At full MSRP it's hard to ignore the G37 Sedan M6 for $44,590 which is only $2200 more.  A G8 GT with leather has a Canadian MSRP of $40,430 to $42,335 depending on options, but with the $9500 rebate, that's a $30,930 to $32,835 car.  That's pretty damn good, and for that price it's a no brainer.  I would buy the car in a heartbeat with those discounts if I was in the market.  I could always install stiffer roll bars to improve handling.

Good points.

Submariner

Quote from: CJ on March 04, 2009, 08:37:19 PM
Think the CTS has a nice interior?  Sit in a Genesis sedan.

The CTS blows it away.   Sorry. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cozmik

I think the G8 GT drives differently. The dealership I drove at said they suspensions, etc, are the same, but I found the V6 boring to drive, but the GT felt totally different to me.

The interior is a bit on the cheap side though. Not terrible, but not great either. I hate the stereo system as well. It's total garbage (along with the gimmick LCD that doesn't actually do anything).

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

the Teuton

I find it funny that in 2001 or so when Car and Driver compared the BMW M5 to the Holden Commodore SS (?), the Commodore was almost as good and that was back when it was Catera/Omega-based.  I can't imagine the G8 GT being complete garbage, but the standard model just seems rather dull from this review.

Are there differences in materials or something between the US and Aussie models?  You'd think we'd've heard something about this car being that bad by now.

Of course, this car could be to Hemi what several other highly touted cars are to others of us in terms of being letdowns.  We all have different tastes.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on March 05, 2009, 02:26:31 PM
You'd think we'd've heard something about this car being that bad by now.
Really Teuts?  Are you sure?

QuoteOf course, this car could be to Hemi what several other highly touted cars are to others of us in terms of being letdowns.  We all have different tastes.
Yes, and this car is supposed to be directed at people like me.  People who love big V8 rear drive muscle cars but also need a family sedan.  I do like the car, but it most definitely isn't what the magazines have been touting it as.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 05, 2009, 02:30:13 PM
Really Teuts?  Are you sure?

I was lazy.  Yes, that's not proper English writing.

QuoteYes, and this car is supposed to be directed at people like me.  People who love big V8 rear drive muscle cars but also need a family sedan.  I do like the car, but it most definitely isn't what the magazines have been touting it as.

How's it compare to the LX cars in your opinion?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on March 05, 2009, 02:32:50 PM
I was lazy.  Yes, that's not proper English writing.

How's it compare to the LX cars in your opinion?
I've only driven the Magnum R/T, so I can't comment on the Charger, but the Magnum had more feedback in the steering and a better brake pedal for two things.  It had less body roll, though interestingly it felt heavier.  The A-pillar wasn't as hard to see around either.  The automatic in the Magnum was comparably slow at manual shifts as well and the interior is nicer in the G8.  Unfortunately the Charger looks like ass.

AltinD

Quote from: the Teuton on March 05, 2009, 02:26:31 PM
I find it funny that in 2001 or so when Car and Driver compared the BMW M5 to the Holden Commodore SS (?), the Commodore was almost as good and that was back when it was Catera/Omega-based.  I can't imagine the G8 GT being complete garbage, but the standard model just seems rather dull from this review.

Are there differences in materials or something between the US and Aussie models?  You'd think we'd've heard something about this car being that bad by now.

Of course, this car could be to Hemi what several other highly touted cars are to others of us in terms of being letdowns.  We all have different tastes.

We get the car overhere as Chevrolet Lumina and I can guaranty you that the interiours of the SS model (G8 GT) are way better then those of the lesser models.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

CJ

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CJ on March 05, 2009, 10:24:25 PM
It just doesn't.

Hey, I know: lets have a meaningless argument over subjective qualities of different interiors and act like our opinion is divine fact!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CJ

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CJ on March 05, 2009, 10:29:17 PM
Great idea!

Seriously man, we get it: you like the Genesis.

Do you really need to mention it in every single thread no matter how badly you have to shoehorn a comparison involving it into the topic at hand?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Vinsanity

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 05, 2009, 10:31:33 PM
Seriously man, we get it: you like the Genesis.

Do you really need to mention it in every single thread no matter how badly who have to shoehorn a comparison involving it into the toic at hand?

Give him a break; he can't help the fact that the Hyundai Genesis is the best half-ton pickup truck on the market

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 05, 2009, 10:27:58 PM
Hey, I know: lets have a meaningless argument over subjective qualities of different interiors and act like our opinion is divine fact!

My lord...you really do have all the answers!
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Tave

Quote from: the Teuton on March 05, 2009, 02:32:50 PM
Yes, that's not proper English writing.

Is it proper Hungarian writing?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

FlatBlackCaddy

The bottom line is that GM needed to offer the manuals with the V6 and mid range V8. In typical fashion gm took the cheaper easier way out and what a surprise it failed again.

TBR

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 06, 2009, 07:17:35 AM
The bottom line is that GM needed to offer the manuals with the V6 and mid range V8. In typical fashion gm took the cheaper easier way out and what a surprise it failed again.

The lack of a manual transmission wasn't the problem, look at how well the 300 sold (originally at least).

GoCougs

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 06, 2009, 07:17:35 AM

The reason why automakers don't offer manual transmissions in their large passenger vehicles; Avalon, Suburban, Charger, Taurus, etc., is because virtually no one would buy one. It'd simply be a money loser to have the option available.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on March 06, 2009, 06:40:42 AM
Is it proper Hungarian writing?

What are you, some sort of Java hack?

afty

Quote from: GoCougs on March 06, 2009, 08:02:10 AM
The reason why automakers don't offer manual transmissions in their large passenger vehicles; Avalon, Suburban, Charger, Taurus, etc., is because virtually no one would buy one. It'd simply be a money loser to have the option available.
The G8, especially the GT, appeals to a very difference audience than those cars (with the possible exception of the Charger).  I'd guess that a lot of the people interested in the G8 GT would buy one with a manual if it were available.  I probably would, especially if they were selling them for $9500 off.

FlatBlackCaddy

What did gm figure was the manual take rate on the GTO?

10%, 20% ?

What was the actual amount sold with a manual?

That's what i thought. STFU and don't tell me a manual G8 GT would not have made a difference.

Sure it wasn't the only issue with the car, but it was a big one. Many people will be able to settle for some options but manual buyers want a manual, PERIOD

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 06, 2009, 06:07:40 PM

10%, 20% ?

That's what i thought. STFU and don't tell me a manual G8 GT would not have made a difference.

Sure it wasn't the only issue with the car, but it was a big one. Many people will be able to settle for some options but manual buyers want a manual, PERIOD

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

It's been a long week, and I am beat somethin' fierce, so I can't tell if you guys are really serious or if you're trolling.

The lack of M/T option on the G8 affects sales as much as the lack of M/T option on the Grand Prix and Bonneville it replaced; which is to say virtually none at all, and precisely why GM didn't offer the option.

IMO the G8 failed primarily because the Pontiac marque is dead to the retail market. Had they labeled it an Impala, I think it would have done better.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on March 06, 2009, 09:36:30 PM
It's been a long week, and I am beat somethin' fierce, so I can't tell if you guys are really serious or if you're trolling.

The lack of M/T option on the G8 affects sales as much as the lack of M/T option on the Grand Prix and Bonneville it replaced; which is to say virtually none at all, and precisely why GM didn't offer the option.

IMO the G8 failed primarily because the Pontiac marque is dead to the retail market. Had they labeled it an Impala, I think it would have done better.

GTO you mean. The GTO failed because it was a nostalgia nameplate on a car with no stylistic hint of nostalgia. It would have done better if they had called it a Monaro, and they'd have saved money in the process.

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 06, 2009, 09:47:49 PM
GTO you mean. The GTO failed because it was a nostalgia nameplate on a car with no stylistic hint of nostalgia. It would have done better if they had called it a Monaro, and they'd have saved money in the process.

Sure, that, too.

And I guess I should have said "IMO the G8 is failing primarily..."

MX793

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 06, 2009, 06:07:40 PM

10%, 20% ?

I recall looking up the numbers and IIRC, something like 55-60% of GTOs were manual, which surprised me.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5