Starting to put money into the 540, what theme?

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, March 04, 2009, 06:49:03 PM

What theme should i pick?

M Theme
6 (33.3%)
No theme
2 (11.1%)
Alpina
10 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 16

CJ

Get some facelifted headlights and tails and that will increase the looks 10 fold.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: CJ on March 04, 2009, 08:52:35 PM
Get some facelifted headlights and tails and that will increase the looks 10 fold.

How did you know about my crappy lights?

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 04, 2009, 08:39:59 PM
At $1020 an ounce? Fuck yeah.

Well, about 200 times the $900, actually. And gold's $910-915/oz now. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CJ

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on March 04, 2009, 08:56:40 PM
Well, about 200 times the $900, actually. And gold's $910-915/oz now. :lol:

Try buying it at the market price.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

I like the Alpine theme.  If you go with the M theme it has to have the performance to back it, but if it has the Alpine theme it is unique enough that nobody will know what to expect of it.

the Teuton

My expert opinion (if you could call it that, lol):

-Neez wheels don't fit a lot of the staggers BMW has (trivia:  and they don't clear E60 M5 brakes, even the 19" wheels), and they look funny.
-You'd look like a poseur with an M'd up 540i.  Definitely go with something more subtle like Alpina or just start with a lip and go from there.
-Your headlights suck.  The later halo ones will do so much to modernize the look of your car, especially with Euro-style white lens turn signal rear lamps to complement it.
-Drop the car and go with some Koni Yellows for struts.  That's what BMW uses on its so-called exclusive Dinan packages
-Stick with one theme.  I've seen an AC Schnitzer/Alpina/Dinan/M'd/Something else 645i coupe, and it looked like a freak show mess of a car.  Know when to quit.

Teuton out.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rupert

Oh wise Tuets, now that BlackCaddy has seen your wise advice, I am sure that this thread can be locked!

Moderators, lock it up!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

the Teuton

Quote from: Psilos on March 04, 2009, 11:46:58 PM
Oh wise Tuets, now that BlackCaddy has seen your wise advice, I am sure that this thread can be locked!

Moderators, lock it up!

He can thank me later.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 04, 2009, 08:25:43 PM
I like the M wheels, the problem is that everyone and their brother has them on a E39. I saw a silver 530 today with those wheels. I like them but it gets alittle old.
E60 M5 wheels

The tough thing about E39s is they look good, but they are just big enough to look a little silly all kitted up.

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 05, 2009, 07:05:37 AM
The tough thing about E39s is they look good, but they are just big enough to look a little silly all kitted up.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!11!!1!!

Thanks for the laugh!

Seriously... Nothing looks better, IMHO, than a tastefully done 5 series.  It is big enough that huge wheels don't look retarded, the improved BMW air dam from either the M or Alpina look great on it, and if you lower it a bit it doesn't look like rice.  It's a great platform for this sort of thing honestly.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: R-inge on March 05, 2009, 08:08:43 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!11!!1!!

Thanks for the laugh!

Seriously... Nothing looks better, IMHO, than a tastefully done 5 series.  It is big enough that huge wheels don't look retarded, the improved BMW air dam from either the M or Alpina look great on it, and if you lower it a bit it doesn't look like rice.  It's a great platform for this sort of thing honestly.
I have seen some slammed 5s... they just looked weird. The best looking 5s to me are the M5 and the regular one with the sport suspension and 17s.

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 05, 2009, 08:27:29 AM
I have seen some slammed 5s... they just looked weird. The best looking 5s to me are the M5 and the regular one with the sport suspension and 17s.

I'm not talking about slamming it, that looks like crap on anything other than a custom car.  Besides, I figure he'll want his car to handle well which it won't if you slam it.  Mild lowering, large wheels (not 20s, but maybe 18s or so) and OEM equivalent body equipment looks great.

BimmerM3

If you have the money, I'd go for the Alpina look. If you don't want to spend so much, just keep it stock and fix the little things that are bothering you.

SVT666

I say you should go for your own look.  Don't copy, be original.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

NomisR

Large wheels?  Slammed?  Go 16" light weight weight R Compound tires.. matte black.

FlatBlackCaddy

Whatever type of wheel i get will be 18", or i might just refurb the 17's that came on it.

I've seen some 19/20" combos that look nice but i don't want to go that high.

FlatBlackCaddy

and no i'm not "slamming" anything. This is a BMW, not a honda, the vast majority of lowering spring kits are .8 to 1" lower than the stock suspension. It's not much, just enough to flush the wheels(front) with the wheel well and tuck the rear wheels in a bit.