What do you try to get away with?

Started by Laconian, March 04, 2009, 09:50:35 PM

Laconian

Place the following driving infractions into one of three buckets:
- "Always" adhere to this law
- "Sometimes" adhere to this law. What are the factors that might cause you to disobey this law?
- "Never" adhere to this law. Why?

• Speed limit
  • Stop for all traffic lights
  • Stop for all stop signs
  • Come to a complete stop for traffic lights & stop signs (ie. no California stops)
  • Signal for lane changes
  • Signal for intersections
  • Passing lane etiquette
  • Talking on the phone
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

James Young

Never ? well, actually twice each trip:  once on the way up and once on the way down
Always
Always
Always
Always
Always
Always ? I try to set an example
Depends on the state
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

Soup DeVille

I rarely pay attention to the speed limit. The times that I go the speed limit don't happen because of a black number on a white sign, but because that seems the most prudent speed to go.

Other than that, yes to everything. I have been known to talk on the phone, but that's a decided rarity.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

* Speed limit
       Never. Fuck speed limits and everybody who thinks they mean anything.

* Stop for all traffic lights
       Always.

* Stop for all stop signs
       Sometimes, and by that, I mean almost always. Today I ran straight through one where the intersection was blocked by huge snowbanks on either side, making the stop signs completely pointless.

* Come to a complete stop for traffic lights & stop signs (ie. no California stops)
       Sometimes. And by that, I mean almost always. If I am in the middle of nowhere with and I can see for miles around me that there is nobody else, I am not going to waste momentum coming to a retarded complete stop. I would also like to add that I am pretty sure I am the ONLY person I know who consistently stops with their bumper behind the white line or stop sign. 9999999.9% of drivers don't seem to stop until they are halfway into the intersection.

* Signal for lane changes
       Sometimes. Always if there is any potential for traffic to be around.

* Signal for intersections
       Sometimes, and by that, I mean almost always. If I am in the middle of nowhere with and I can see for miles around     me that there is nobody else, I am not going to bother moving my finger.

* Passing lane etiquette
       Sometimes, and by that, I mean almost always. If the right lane is unplowed and icey while the left lane is clear, and there is light to no traffic, I will cruise in the left lane.

* Talking on the phone
       There is no law here. I use my discretion if phoning while driving. I do not do it often.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

When I drive gubment rigs, all laws always. Setting examples and such. When I drive my own cars:

* Speed limit-- Never. Almost always 5-10 over, in almost every place. More on Oregon freeways when the cops don't seem to be around.
    * Stop for all traffic lights-- Always, unless I'm making a right turn and I can see that the way is clear. Then I California stop it.
    * Stop for all stop signs-- I don't blow through stop signs ever. See below.
    * Come to a complete stop for traffic lights & stop signs (ie. no California stops)-- Sometimes. I California stop at four-ways when I have the obvious right of way, and others when I can see that the way is clear for a long ways.
    * Signal for lane changes-- Always, even when there's no one around. Habit, so I don't have to think about whether or not to signal. I think I'd stop that if I lived in New York City or some such place.
    * Signal for intersections-- Always, though it slipped my mind this evening once.
    * Passing lane etiquette-- Sometimes, when the rest of the road is clear or the other drivers are also abiding by the rules.
    * Talking on the phone-- Sometimes, and by that, I mean almost always. (i.e. I don't talk on the phone).

On my bike:

* Speed limit-- Sometimes. :lol:
    * Stop for all traffic lights: --Sometimes, when there're cars coming or I can't see if there are cars coming. Here in ID, we can treat stop lights like stop signs.
    * Stop for all stop signs-- Sometimes, and by that, I mean almost never. Only when it's not my right of way.
    * Come to a complete stop for traffic lights & stop signs (ie. no California stops)-- See above.
    * Signal for lane changes-- Always. I don't wanna get creamed.
    * Signal for intersections-- Never. I'm using that hand to steer through traffic and brake and turn and swerve. If there's no traffic, then no need for signals.
    * Passing lane etiquette-- n/a
    * Talking on the phone-- I've seen people do this. It looks hard.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

ifcar

Always:
Traffic signals
Turn signals
Passing lane etiquette

Sometimes:
Stop signs. I may ignore the ones in shopping center parking lots if it's not crowded.
Complete stops: I do rolling stops for a stop sign or right turn on red if it's obviously safe to do so.
Speed limits: some roads have appropriate limits. Many don't. I do often peg my speed to the limit though, within reason.

We don't have a law against talking on your cell phone in MD (hands-free only within the DC limits, but I rarely have to drive there), but I generally don't have anyone I need to talk to while I'm driving.

Tave

Quote from: NACar on March 04, 2009, 10:38:14 PM
    * Speed limit
       Never. Fuck speed limits and everybody who thinks they mean anything.

* Stop for all traffic lights
       Always.

* Stop for all stop signs
       Sometimes, and by that, I mean almost always. Today I ran straight through one where the intersection was blocked by huge snowbanks on either side, making the stop signs completely pointless.

* Come to a complete stop for traffic lights & stop signs (ie. no California stops)
       Sometimes. And by that, I mean almost always. If I am in the middle of nowhere with and I can see for miles around me that there is nobody else, I am not going to waste momentum coming to a retarded complete stop. I would also like to add that I am pretty sure I am the ONLY person I know who consistently stops with their bumper behind the white line or stop sign. 9999999.9% of drivers don't seem to stop until they are halfway into the intersection.

* Signal for lane changes
       Sometimes. Always if there is any potential for traffic to be around.

* Signal for intersections
       Sometimes, and by that, I mean almost always. If I am in the middle of nowhere with and I can see for miles around     me that there is nobody else, I am not going to bother moving my finger.

* Passing lane etiquette
       Sometimes, and by that, I mean almost always. If the right lane is unplowed and icey while the left lane is clear, and there is light to no traffic, I will cruise in the left lane.

* Talking on the phone
       There is no law here. I use my discretion if phoning while driving. I do not do it often.

:hesaid:

Quote from: Psilos on March 05, 2009, 12:03:30 AM
On my bike:

* Talking on the phone-- I've seen people do this. It looks hard.

The first, and only time I tried to talk and ride, I was also wearing sandals. My foot slid off the pedal and got stuck in the front spokes. As the wheel rotated, my foot jammed against the fork and the spokes cut the foot. I even went over the handlebars.

Never. Again.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Byteme

Speed limit  In town I stick pretty much to the posted limits.  On the highway in rural areas I'm somewhere under 10 over if conditions warrant.

Stop for all traffic lights.  Stop for all stop signs  Why yes, yes I do.

Come to a complete stop for traffic lights & stop signs About 99% of the time yes on stop signs, always on stop lights.

Signal for lane changes  Always unless traffic conditions are such that it doesn't matter.  Or in the rare event that signaling will cue the guy in the other lane to close the gap (it happens here).

Signal for intersections  You mean signal for turns?  Always

Passing lane etiquette  Always, unless I'm in the passing lane making my pass and some ass comes up and rides my bumper. 

Talking on the phone  Never

giant_mtb

* Speed limit - Sometimes.  Depends on where I am and whether or not I know the cops are picky about speeding.

* Stop for all traffic lights - Always.

* Stop for all stop signs - Always.

* Come to a complete stop for traffic lights & stop signs (ie. no California stops) - Sometimes. - Late at night or when nobody's around, I'll roll through.

* Signal for lane changes - Always.

* Signal for intersections - Always.

* Passing lane etiquette - Always.

* Talking on the phone - Sometimes.  Only if someone calls me do I talk on the phone.

Tave

Quote from: Laconian on March 04, 2009, 09:50:35 PM
Passing lane etiquette

And I forgot--on twisties with good visibility and no traffic, I simetimes drive lines over the whole road.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

TBR

Speed limit: Never- the flow of traffic is almost always higher than the speed limit, demonstrating the government's ignorance of the science that should be behind speed limits. Additionally, on the trip back home I save 30-45 minutes by going 5-7 over.
Stop for all traffic lights: Always
Stop for all stop signs: Always
Come to a complete stop for traffic lights & stop signs (ie. no California stops): Sometimes- I slow down enough to survey traffic and make sure that I don't have to come to a complete stop to be safe. It saves gas.
Signal for lane changes: Always- I only don't signal when it is late at night and there are no cars around me.
Signal for intersections: Always
Passing lane etiquette:Always-
Talking on the phone:Always- never been in a state in which it was illegal. I do try to minimize it though and keep it to highway only.

J86

• Speed limit
- Sometimes, but not on purpose!  Drive whatever seems like a good idea.
- vast majority of the time.  Righty when I can see clearly I'll just send it, and I am actually really bad late at night about treating long red lights like stop signs near my house.
-  Vast majority of the time...there's one near my house at home that was put in a few years ago and I don't agree with it so I fail to abide by it :lol:
  • Come to a complete stop for traffic lights & stop signs (ie. no California stops)
- I rarely come to a complete stop at a stop sign unless there is other traffic.
- vast majority of the time.  if no one is around sometimes i do, sometimes i dont.
- always.
  • Passing lane etiquette
- as best I am able.
  • Talking on the phone
- sometimes.

NomisR

• Speed limit -  Never, I drive whatever speed I feel is safe for the condition which may be slower than the posted speed limit if conditions warranted (i.e. heavy rain with really poor visibility, and heavy fog) but always away from the passing lane in those cases
  • Stop for all traffic lights - always
  • Stop for all stop signs - always
  • Come to a complete stop for traffic lights & stop signs (ie. no California stops) - Sometimes, depending on the intersection and visibility of the intersection.  If there is a car coming up to an intersection, I will make a full and complete stop.  If there's an intersection with no car in sight and no pedestrian in sight, I will slow down to a near stop without stalling and engaging the clutch before I go.
  • Signal for lane changes - always, it's just a habit now
  • Signal for intersections - always
  • Passing lane etiquette - always
  • Talking on the phone sometimes, depending on traffic conditions, visibility.  Only when deemed safe to do so and if the phone call is warranted and only kept to a min.  And this is all done with a hands free.

VTEC_Inside

Speed limit
Almost never at the speed limit. 99% of the time if you are actually driving the limit, you are the problem

Stop for all traffic lights
Always*

Stop for all stop signs
Always*

Come to a complete stop for traffic lights & stop signs (ie. no California stops)
Sometimes I don't for right turns, but never a blow through, I'm always back in 1st. This is dependent on my ability to see traffic from other directions.

Signal for lane changes
Always. I can't bring myself to physically change lanes unless I've signaled.

Signal for intersections
Always.

Passing lane etiquette
Always in the center or right when possible.

Talking on the phone
I do talk on the phone on occasion, but have hung up or completely ignored the person due to conditions. Always on hands-free as well.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

3.0L V6

Speed limit
City driving, not much if at all. Usually over on highways by 20-30km/h. Try to stay under 50km/h+ over, since it would result in my car being impounded and criminal charges being laid.

Yes.

Stop for all stop signs
Yes

Come to a complete stop for traffic lights & stop signs (ie. no California stops)
Sometimes I get a little sloppy with the stops, but I try.

Signal for lane changes
Yes.

Signal for intersections
Yes.

Passing lane etiquette
Depends. 4 lane divided highway, I stay right. 6 lane divided, depending on traffic volume/speed/number of entrances & exits, I may be using the middle lane. I try and keep the left lane as clear as possible.

Talking on the phone
Very rarely have a cell phone with me, so not an issue.

dazzleman

• Speed limit
Almost never.  I don't base my speed on the posted limits in most cases.

Always

Always, though I do rolling stops sometimes if I can see that nobody is coming.

I do rolling stops at stop signs, but always stop for traffic lights.

Always

Always

• Passing lane etiquette
Always

• Talking on the phone
Always.  I have blue tooth hands-free capability built into my car's computer.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Vinsanity

* Speed limit - Almost never. There are a few roads in undeveloped areas that do have reasonable limits, though. Those are the only ones I seem to be able to follow :tounge:
    * Stop for all traffic lights - Always - pretty much out of necessity.
    * Stop for all stop signs - Most of the time - I'll at least slow down to make sure there isn't a pedestrian or another car approaching
    * Come to a complete stop for traffic lights & stop signs (ie. no California stops) - see above?
    * Signal for lane changes - Sometimes - I'll do it when there's a car around that needs to acknowledge my lane change, but otherwise, only if I feel like it
    * Signal for intersections - Most of the time - Left-turn lanes are self-explanatory IMO, and in that case, so is scooching your car all the way to the right shoulder to make a right turn
    * Passing lane etiquette - I try to make all my passes on the left, but if some stupid dolt is blocking the left lane, what else can I do? :devil:
    * Talking on the phone - Yeah, I have my goofy little bluetooth headset :mask:

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on March 04, 2009, 09:50:35 PM
Place the following driving infractions into one of three buckets:
- "Always" adhere to this law
- "Sometimes" adhere to this law. What are the factors that might cause you to disobey this law?
- "Never" adhere to this law. Why?

• Speed limit
Generally 5-10 over except in school zones
always
always
Usually.  Sometimes if making a right on red at an empty intersection I'll slow to a near stop, but still be rolling maybe 3 mph
Only time I don't is when I need to make a sudden lane change to avoid hitting something
always
  • Passing lane etiquette
I try to keep right as much as possible and make an effort to move right as soon as is practical when faster traffic is behind me
  • Talking on the phone
I never make outgoing calls.  I'll sometimes answer a call (on speakerphone) and tell the caller to make it quick because I'm driving
[/list]
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Things I do regularly get away with:

Driving without shoes.

Having tinted side windows in a state where that's illegal.

Muffler noise violations.

Having more people in the car than seatbelts.

Not wearing seatbelts.

Not having seatbelts in the car.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

J86

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 05, 2009, 10:04:57 PM

Driving without shoes.

Having tinted side windows in a state where that's illegal.

Muffler noise violations.

Having more people in the car than seatbelts.

Not wearing seatbelts.

Not having seatbelts in the car.

In the summer I never drive with shoes on.  Flip flops never work with three pedals so I just kick em under the seat.

dsred

Speed limit
There's a speed limit? I have a personal one. It's the one that gets me away from groups of cars and out from behind the idiots.

Yes. To do otherwise would be too risky.

Stop for all stop signs.
Sometimes. See below.

Too many jurisdictions use stop signs and four way stops to placate neighborhood bleeding hearts. I hate neighborhood bleeding hearts. Plus, all these unnecessary stops are bad for the vehicle and the environment.

Signal for lane changes
Only if there's someone to signal to. It's the old "if a tree fell in the forest..." argument.

Signal for intersections
Yes. Habit.

Passing lane etiquette
Always.

Talking on the phone
Not against the law here, but I limit to urgent situations.

Tave

Quote from: NACar on March 04, 2009, 10:38:14 PM
  I would also like to add that I am pretty sure I am the ONLY person I know who consistently stops with their bumper behind the white line or stop sign.

^^^Not only is that the law and the safe way to drive, but it also lets you snag spots at 4-way stop signs. :rockon:

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 08, 2009, 08:36:53 PM
^^^Not only is that the law and the safe way to drive, but it also lets you snag spots at 4-way stop signs. :rockon:

Yeah, I always aim for behind the white line. 

I get the feeling that I'm the only one who knows how to use a 4 way stop in the state of Pennsylvania, though.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Cookie Monster

Speed limit - Never, unless I don't really want to go where I am going. Then I'll do the speed limit.

Stop for all traffic lights - Always

Stop for all stop signs - Always

Come to a complete stop for traffic lights & stop signs (ie. no California stops) - Always. I'm the only person I know who doesn't roll through stop signs. Then again, I live in CA. :lol:

Signal for lane changes - Always

Signal for intersections - Always

Passing lane etiquette - Always, I hate left lane campers so I tend to stay out of it unless I'm passing.

Talking on the phone - Illegal here without a headset. I hate those headsets so I just put the phone on speaker phone and drop the phone into the cupholder if I really have to talk to someone. :lol:

On my bike, I never stop for stop signs (unless it's the car's right of way) but always stop for stop lights and never signal.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

NomisR

Quote from: Tave on March 08, 2009, 08:36:53 PM

The problem is, people don't know how to modulate their brake.. or actually, they don't know how much brakes they need to step on to stop at the distance they want to.  So a lot of people like to stop too short and then start scooting forward when they could've done it all in one action.. it annoys me to no end.

rohan

Always
Stop for all stop signs

Sometimes (mostly)
Speed limit
Signal for lane changes
Signal for intersections
Passing lane etiquette
Talking on the phone
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 05, 2009, 10:04:57 PM

Driving without shoes.

Not against the law unless you're driving a commercial vehicle.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

BENZ BOY15

I thought I stopped for stoplights, but apparently not.

I follow the speed limit in NorCal, because apparently, that's what people do. It's very hard to go under 70 on the freeway in SD and especially, Los Angeles.

I do stop for stop signs...before I didn't stop completely, but I got pulled over for it.

I don't signal for a lane change if nobody's behind me, but otherwise I do. Again, it's not SoCal up here...so one has to drive somewhat well.

I do talk on the phone. Sometimes, I put on the speaker phone...but I don't really try. I've been doing better lately, as I won't pick up most calls. But I'm a talkaholic, so it's pretty hard.

giant_mtb

...did you just call yourself a "talkaholic"?  Are you straight?

NomisR

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 10, 2009, 07:59:03 AM
...did you just call yourself a "talkaholic"?  Are you straight?

He's a Hilary fan.. I think that explains it.