Why did you buy your car?

Started by the Teuton, March 08, 2009, 06:06:44 PM

Why did you pick your current car/why do you pick the cars you do? Pick up to three

Exterior style
17 (39.5%)
Interior style
3 (7%)
Comfort/interior quality
9 (20.9%)
Perceived reliability
4 (9.3%)
The badge/brand
6 (14%)
Performance
23 (53.5%)
Color
1 (2.3%)
Value
11 (25.6%)
Price
9 (20.9%)
I needed a car, and it was available
9 (20.9%)
Aftermarket potential
3 (7%)
Exclusive feature(s)
1 (2.3%)
Hype/Image
2 (4.7%)
Utility/practicality
11 (25.6%)
Fuel Economy
7 (16.3%)
Other (please explain)
5 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 43

the Teuton

This sounds like a marketing exercise, and to a degree it is, but really I am just intrigued why people buy the way they do, especially people who buy newer cars.  It's also easy to say that I bought my car because it was cheap, but I there were other factors for me getting my car such as the AWD and the fact I loved my STi wagon in Gran Turismo 2.

So you have up to 3 votes and a thread to explain why you bought what you did.  Go!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Performance, value, and brand, I suppose.  I'd be lying if I said the fact it is a Volkswagen didn't give me a more favorable view of it.  Aftermarket potential is there, too, but not overly important beyond a few choice handling bits and a little more power.  It is very practical, I think it looks good, I love the color, the price was right (though without value, price is fairly unimportant at this level), it is comfortable and of good quality, and I did need a car.  So I did my best to only choose three.

You missed gas mileage.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Reliability, performance, value. I've always thought that Miatas offer the best bang for the buck, and I love a good deal.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

Exterior style/performance/interior quality & comfort
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

When I bought the Civic, I had narrowed it down to the Focus SVT, the Si, and the Mazda Protege5.

I wanted an economical, practical small car that didn't completely crush my driving pleasure. All three really delivered.

The P5 had the best interior features, but lacked in front seat space.

The Focus was the best handling, and on par with the Si for most everything else, but the salesman was an ass, so I walked.

The Civic was available for about 3 grand below MSRP.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Vinsanity

How about "I took a test drive and really liked how it drove"? :huh:

Besides that, I chose value and exterior style

Onslaught

I had a garage full of auto body parts for one. I still do and will make another track car one day I hope with them.
I found a good one that was cheap in the junk yard.
It was as close to my go cart as I could find for the road.
I knew it was reliable. I didn't know it would be this good however.

I wanted to look gay.

Out of the list

Price
Performance- around a curve not in a line.
Brand

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on March 08, 2009, 06:44:03 PM
Only three options? Fuck that.

You're such a fucking rebel, man.  You must have been a nightmare as a teenager.  :devil:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on March 08, 2009, 06:50:25 PM
You're such a fucking rebel, man.  You must have been a nightmare as a teenager.  :devil:

If I'd had different parents, for sure.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

For the MG, I chose utility, comfort, and reliability. ;)

dazzleman

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on March 08, 2009, 06:52:56 PM
If I'd had different parents, for sure.

So your parents were OK with you being a stoner?  :devil:

Rupert

They didn't punish me for it, if that's what you mean. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Volvo...

Comfort/interior
Value
Other (please explain): I have issues
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on March 08, 2009, 07:03:19 PM
They didn't punish me for it, if that's what you mean. :lol:

Punishment would have made you worse, I suspect.

Rupert

Not necessarily, but there was little they could do short of kicking me out that would have prevented me from doing what I wanted. Everyone has to sleep sometimes... :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on March 08, 2009, 07:16:57 PM
Not necessarily, but there was little they could do short of kicking me out that would have prevented me from doing what I wanted. Everyone has to sleep sometimes... :lol:

Maybe boot camp would have done the trick..... :lol:

the Teuton

Quote from: Psilos on March 08, 2009, 06:44:03 PM
Only three options? Fuck that.

It makes you really have to think why you bought your car.  Prioritize.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Well I bought it because it was available, it was a MT (I selected performance), and it got good fuel economy.

Tave

So far I'm the only person who voted for color. The dealership had several Aveos in stock, and I chose black.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 08, 2009, 09:11:34 PM
So far I'm the only person who voted for color. The dealership had several Aveos in stock, and I chose black.

Did you choose the Aveo solely because it was black and no other comparable cars were black?  Did you pay for features that you didn't want because you wanted a black car?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  on March 08, 2009, 09:20:55 PM
Did you choose the Aveo solely because it was black and no other comparable cars were black?

Like I said, they had plenty of Aveos, mine is black, and I wanted black more than any of the other similarly-equipped colors I could have chosen.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 08, 2009, 09:25:49 PM
Like I said, they had plenty of Aveos, mine is black, and I wanted black more than any of the other similarly-equipped colors I could have chosen.

Hmm.  If they didn't have a black one and couldn't acquire one, would still have bought an Aveo from them?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

I was pretty keen on a black/manual combo: less in love with the idea of the Aveo itself.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 08, 2009, 09:41:34 PM
I was pretty keen on a black/manual combo: less in love with the idea of the Aveo itself.

Then I think you choose correctly (by picking color).  I was overjoyed that my car was black, but even if it had been silver or even red I'd have bought it, as long as it were a stick.

I had originally found a stick silver Wolfsburg at a shady VW/Subaru dealer where I drove the 08 WRX, but was so unhappy with their salesmanship that I hoped that another salesman at my servicing dealership would be able to help me out.  And he was.  So it all worked out.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Admittedly, the hype/image did somewhat play into my decision. It does sound cooler to say that you drive a Caddy compared to saying you drive a Volvo, Maxima, or Acura TL.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 08, 2009, 09:55:50 PM
Admittedly, the hype/image did somewhat play into my decision. It does sound cooler to say that you drive a Caddy compared to saying you drive a Volvo, Maxima, or Acura TL.

Cooler than Acura?  Never!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on March 08, 2009, 09:57:17 PM
Cooler than Acura?  Never!

Yeah, I would have bought a Jetta, but I figured I would quickly get tired of having to explain myself as to why I bought a Jetta. And reassuring everyone that I still like girls.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 08, 2009, 10:03:50 PM
Yeah, I would have bought a Jetta, but I figured I would quickly get tired of having to explain myself as to why I bought a Jetta. And reassuring everyone that I like girls.

Well, no one needs reassurance of that, generally.  Girls love Jettas and the people who drive them.  All of them.  Physically and indiscriminately.  I've seen it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i