Why did you buy your car?

Started by the Teuton, March 08, 2009, 06:06:44 PM

Why did you pick your current car/why do you pick the cars you do? Pick up to three

Exterior style
17 (39.5%)
Interior style
3 (7%)
Comfort/interior quality
9 (20.9%)
Perceived reliability
4 (9.3%)
The badge/brand
6 (14%)
Performance
23 (53.5%)
Color
1 (2.3%)
Value
11 (25.6%)
Price
9 (20.9%)
I needed a car, and it was available
9 (20.9%)
Aftermarket potential
3 (7%)
Exclusive feature(s)
1 (2.3%)
Hype/Image
2 (4.7%)
Utility/practicality
11 (25.6%)
Fuel Economy
7 (16.3%)
Other (please explain)
5 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Byteme

The Mazda 3:  My wife and I saw a red 2006 at the Houston auto show; identical to the one we bought a month later.  My wife like smaller nimble cars.  Her 2002 Mustang convertible had been rearended the year before and it just never feld right afterwards.  Soe we got rid of it.

The 07, Mazda 6.  I just wanted a change, so the 01 Escape went to the dealer in exchange. 

1999 Buick Century.  Met my criteria for a firs tcar for a new driver.  Not sporty, safe, fairly large with fair gas mileage.  Found on with 67,000 actual miles that was owned by a little old 70 year old lady who kept the car well maintained and unabused.

1969 Jaguar E-type:  To quote Road and Track editor Henry Manney (SP)?  "The greatest crumpet collector known to man".  Usually either at or near the top of everyone's most beautiful car ever built list.  Nuff said.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on March 09, 2009, 10:38:12 AM
Utility/practicality, price and performance.

I wanted a reliable, decent performing, plebeian sedan for ~$20k.

Ended up with Accord Sedan LX V6.

Your life must be terribly exciting.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

No good reasons

I was in a biking accident, short on cash, impulsively sold the Max. I got another Accord for conflicting reasons- I needed cash for my teeth, but I also wanted to finish the build I had given up on twice. $4000 in parts and labor (two motors in less than a year!!!!) later I wish I had either just kept the Maxima or sold it for an E36 328iS, BB6 Prelude or 240SX.

As far as why I like these Accords so much, well, they look good when modified, they are easy to work on, they accept a lot of good motors w/o fuss, and if you keep things simple they are very easy to keep running. Not to mention, they are a good size for the average sized person. Right now is not the time for me to have this particular one, but down the line I always want to have at least one in my household.

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on March 10, 2009, 09:24:51 PM
Your life must be terribly exciting.

Life is always exciting when you pay your own bills.

Chicks did it, too.

hotrodalex

In the poll I choose the options that apply to my newest purchase (El Camino)

El Camino:
- Exterior style
- Performance
- Aftermarket potential

BMW 328i:
- Exterior Style
- Comfort/Interior quality
- Performance

Mazda 6:
- Comfort
- Value
- Performance (for a FWD midsize sedan)

Camaro:
- Exterior style
- Performance
- Aftermarket potential

saxonyron

For the A6, exterior style, interior comfort/quality, and performance.   This is also my 4th Audi, so the brand carried some weight, too.  I just wish they still made a new version of my '00 A6 2.7T with the 6 speed.  That was my ultimate car. :(

The Expedition got the nod for utility, value and exterior style.  And again, it's my 3rd Expedition, so I guess I'd throw Brand in there too.  The size is perfect, the 300 hp has plenty of power to pull all 7 of us plus 5,000 pounds of trailer and horses, and it's got enough features so you don't feel like you're slumming it.   

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

At least you didn't get another minivan, Ron, so you don't have to check your balls at the door before you get in....:lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on March 11, 2009, 08:23:28 AM
Life is always exciting when you pay your own bills.

Chicks did it, too.
You can pay your own bills and not drive a total snooze mobile

iconoclast

For the badge of course, Its because i am a dick, and i wanted everyone else to know it too

therefore i bought a gaudy car with a gaudy badge to show everyone whose boss.

Vinsanity

Quote from: iconoclast on March 28, 2009, 03:46:41 AM
For the badge of course, Its because i am a dick, and i wanted everyone else to know it too

therefore i bought a gaudy car with a gaudy badge to show everyone whose boss.

what car would that be?

nickdrinkwater

SVT_Power

I bought it so I could do an engine swap and learn about cars
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 11, 2009, 07:52:43 AM
I was in a biking accident, short on cash, impulsively sold the Max. I got another Accord for conflicting reasons- I needed cash for my teeth

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: M_power on March 29, 2009, 06:36:14 PM
I bought it so I could do an engine swap and learn about cars

Me too! :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Quote from: NACar on March 29, 2009, 06:53:17 PM

Well, not really. You could say my Camaro was kind of bought for that reason though.

hounddog

Other.

I had a truck I had purchased in '04.  After my strokes it was hard for me to get in and out, and my wife hated the truck because of the harsh ride.  It was a beast, I will admit, but that was part of why I loved it. 

After asking me what I thought about the Durango that Erica has, she one day came home from a "grocery trip" with our new Durango.  I had no say in the matter, she was fully in charge at the time as I had not been out very long.  So, now I drive a Durango I neither love nor hate.  It does not feel like my vehicle, and quite frankly, is the most boring silver color ever.

Also, I had gone and leased her a really nice '06 330 convertible.  One day she came home and informed me that she had ordered an X5 4.8, and that she was turning her car in.  This car is also boring silver, but at least it is fun to drive.  However, along with feeling like it is not my car; it is in fact her car.

In short, I have been vehicularly-demasculinated.  I may very well be the only man I know who is driving cars that were chosen entirely by the wife.  Life is cruel.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

BimmerM3

Accord:

Fuel Economy
Other: Low mileage compared to other cars I was looking at
Other: My dad wouldn't let me get a Miata

BMW:

Price
Badge
Other: Awesomeness? Wanting to learn how to fix cars. That's not going so well, is it?

jadewolf123

Utility of a four door, good fuel economy with a I-4 and performance in terms of chassis dynamics/handling for its FWD sedan roots. Plus I got a great deal on it, barely 500 bucks more than than the Mazda 3 I was there to buy.
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

The Pirate

Quote from: hounddog on March 30, 2009, 11:53:38 PM
Other.

I had a truck I had purchased in '04.  After my strokes it was hard for me to get in and out, and my wife hated the truck because of the harsh ride.  It was a beast, I will admit, but that was part of why I loved it. 

After asking me what I thought about the Durango that Erica has, she one day came home from a "grocery trip" with our new Durango.  I had no say in the matter, she was fully in charge at the time as I had not been out very long.  So, now I drive a Durango I neither love nor hate.  It does not feel like my vehicle, and quite frankly, is the most boring silver color ever.

Also, I had gone and leased her a really nice '06 330 convertible.  One day she came home and informed me that she had ordered an X5 4.8, and that she was turning her car in.  This car is also boring silver, but at least it is fun to drive.  However, along with feeling like it is not my car; it is in fact her car.

In short, I have been vehicularly-demasculinated.  I may very well be the only man I know who is driving cars that were chosen entirely by the wife.  Life is cruel.

:lol:

You've got a freebie coming, as I see it.  You bought her the 330i convertible (awesome vehicle, by the way), which she replaced with a vehicle of her liking.  So, if I were you, I'd be going shopping for a Durango replacement for yourself.  Of course, I'm not married, so I don't know how these things work.

But my dad has (on multiple occasions) gone to get the tires replaced on my mom's car, and instead came home with a new car for her.  He's survived every time, so it's worth a shot!  Besides, those new Rams look awful nice - I'm eager to see the 3/ton models (don't think that they are out yet).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

The Pirate

Oh, and I've got three leads for a second job for the summer.  Two of them are pretty solid, so depending on how things go, I might be in the market again.  :mask:

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

dazzleman

Quote from: The Pirate on March 31, 2009, 08:13:30 PM
Oh, and I've got three leads for a second job for the summer.  Two of them are pretty solid, so depending on how things go, I might be in the market again.  :mask:

Good luck. :ohyeah:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: The Pirate on March 31, 2009, 08:13:30 PM

What do you do now?

The Pirate

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 01, 2009, 03:13:32 PM
What do you do now?

I work (almost full time) at a hardware store and am a student at a local university.  No class in the summers, so I typically pick up another job for some extra money.