Dumb redneck town resorts to racial profiling

Started by Vinsanity, March 11, 2009, 02:51:34 PM

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on March 13, 2009, 02:16:35 PM
Yes, and on average, the average driver doesn't go smashing into cars and children and the like, but I still look left, right, and left again before pulling out into the street.

Sure they do.. the problem is, they're such bad drivers that they miss. 

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Raza, what is your point, that you shouldn't blindly trust everyone in the world? Well no shit. Where did I fucking say you should?

Your analogy between gangs and police was absurd, not to mention insulting, and in general people will not agree with it. That's not my fault.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 13, 2009, 02:30:58 PM
Raza, what is your point, that you shouldn't blindly trust everyone in the world? Well no shit. Where did I fucking say they should?

Your analogy between gangs and police was absurd, not to mention insulting, and in general people will not agree with it. That's not my fault.

It's not absurd, it's meant to be insulting, and I don't really give a fuck about what people in general think about things. 

You took my entire post, disregarded it, and chose two sentences to focus in on.  Now, usually I don't have a problem with that, but you seem to be having an argument with me that already cleared up in my last post.  Maybe you should have read my entire post instead of stopping at sentence two.  Then you would have gotten my point, and this ridiculous conversation would have been over by now.  I get why Bing and Greg are getting so touchy.  I don't know why you are. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18003.msg1018384#msg1018384 date=1236976535
It's not absurd,

Of course it is. The amount of violent crime commited against law-abiding citizens by gangs utterly dwarfs the damage done by police corruption. Your average gang member is a worthless fuck who victimizes innocent people. Your average police officer tries to stop that from happening.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 13, 2009, 02:48:22 PM
Of course it is. The amount of violent crime commited against law-abiding citizens by gangs utterly dwarfs the damage done by police corruption. Your average gang member is a worthless fuck who victimizes innocent people. Your average police officer tries to stop that from happening.

So they're not a very effective gang.  Kudos to them.

I'm going to edit my own posts down to soundbites, since you're incapable of getting past the first handful of words.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

You presume the rest of your post contained anything worth a response.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 13, 2009, 03:01:48 PM
You presume the rest of your post contained anything worth a response.

So, should I just break out the insults now, or do you want to try and keep this civil?

You disregard the majority of what I say and then ask me what my point is.  Read my fucking posts, and you'll have my point.  Instead you seem to want to keep going round and round like this, and I don't understand why. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on March 13, 2009, 03:07:47 PM
So, should I just break out the insults now, or do you want to try and keep this civil?

You disregard the majority of what I say and then ask me what my point is.  Read my fucking posts, and you'll have my point.  Instead you seem to want to keep going round and round like this, and I don't understand why. 

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18003.msg1018577#msg1018577 date=1236985460
It's not like I have a job to go to or anything. 

I know a place that's hiring...
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Byteme

Jeez, guys give it a rest.  I expect the next post to have someone saying their dad can beat up the other guy's dad.    :rolleyes: :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: Byteme on March 13, 2009, 07:03:14 PM
Jeez, guys give it a rest.  I expect the next post to have someone saying their dad can beat up the other guy's dad.    :rolleyes: :lol:

:hesaid:
I agree with Tave in this case.

Getting back to the original topic, this sort of thing sounds like a throwback.  It shouldn't be allowed to go on.  Egregious abuses by the police undermine support for legitimate law enforcement activity, which is sometimes by necessity in a grey zone.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raza

Quote from: Byteme on March 13, 2009, 07:03:14 PM

My dad's nearing 70.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

bing_oh

Quote from: thecarnut on March 13, 2009, 12:56:32 PM
They were on their way to buy a used car, and that's not unusual to buy outright in cash. :huh:

I just went to NC a few days ago with a buddy to buy a used vehicle. Despite the fact that both of us are experienced cops and go pretty much everywhere armed, we used a cashier's check. Carrying cash is just asking to either get robbed or ripped off.

bing_oh

Quote from: Raza  on March 13, 2009, 02:35:35 PM
It's not absurd, it's meant to be insulting, and I don't really give a fuck about what people in general think about things.

Well, that tells me about everything I need to know. Since I prefer civil, intelligent conversation, I now know without a doubt exactly where to file your comments, Raza.

Vinsanity

Quote from: bing_oh on March 14, 2009, 12:57:12 AM
I just went to NC a few days ago with a buddy to buy a used vehicle. Despite the fact that both of us are experienced cops and go pretty much everywhere armed, we used a cashier's check. Carrying cash is just asking to either get robbed or ripped off.

Maybe it was dumb, but I carried around thousands of $ of cash on me in places like South Central LA and Inglewood to look at used cars. I didn't use a cashier's check because it's easier to bargain a lower price if you have the cash on the spot than if you had to come back from the bank with a cashier's check. CC might be safer, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one in South Central walking around with thousands of $ in cash on their person.

bing_oh

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 14, 2009, 01:31:09 AM...but I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one in South Central walking around with thousands of $ in cash on their person.

Oh, of that I have no doubt! Those other folks were in a very different business than used cars, though... :lol:

dazzleman

Banks are required to report cash transactions of $10,000 or more to the treasury department.  Is there any amount of cash that it is actually illegal to carry?

There was a case close to 20 years ago of a business owner in Connecticut (Stew Leonard, the owner of Stew Leonard's) who was programming the computer in his stores to undercount sales, and he was taking the underreported money in cash, putting it in suitcases, and smuggling it into St. Maarten, where he owned a home.

He got caught with the cash, an investigation ensued, and he ended up going to prison for tax evasion.  I wonder if carrying that amount of cash domestically would have been illegal, or if taking it over an international border is illegal.  Maybe neither is, but if customs opens a suitcase and finds a ton of cash, they're going to be very suspicious.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on March 14, 2009, 12:59:46 AM
Well, that tells me about everything I need to know. Since I prefer civil, intelligent conversation, I now know without a doubt exactly where to file your comments, Raza.

Ah, well, I was being a dick yesterday.  It happens to the best of us sometimes.  Lack of sleep, you know.

I mean, I stand by a lot of what I said, but I admit that I could have said it in a less combative manner.  But as far as the Us vs. Them mentality exhibited by many officers just on these boards (though generally not you, at least there are no instances which I can recall), I will continue to look upon the general police force with distrust.  As they will me, I assume.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on March 14, 2009, 11:43:54 AM
Ah, well, I was being a dick yesterday.  It happens to the best of us sometimes.  Lack of sleep, you know.

I mean, I stand by a lot of what I said, but I admit that I could have said it in a less combative manner.  But as far as the Us vs. Them mentality exhibited by many officers just on these boards (though generally not you, at least there are no instances which I can recall), I will continue to look upon the general police force with distrust.  As they will me, I assume.

I think it is the responsibility of the general public to look upon any authority with some distrust. Whether it be law enforcement or the government in general. I'm not saying we shouldn't trust them at all, but we can't just let them do whatever and not give it a thought.

Catman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18003.msg1019156#msg1019156 date=1237052634

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on March 14, 2009, 11:04:03 AM
Banks are required to report cash transactions of $10,000 or more to the treasury department.  Is there any amount of cash that it is actually illegal to carry?

There was a case close to 20 years ago of a business owner in Connecticut (Stew Leonard, the owner of Stew Leonard's) who was programming the computer in his stores to undercount sales, and he was taking the underreported money in cash, putting it in suitcases, and smuggling it into St. Maarten, where he owned a home.

He got caught with the cash, an investigation ensued, and he ended up going to prison for tax evasion.  I wonder if carrying that amount of cash domestically would have been illegal, or if taking it over an international border is illegal.  Maybe neither is, but if customs opens a suitcase and finds a ton of cash, they're going to be very suspicious.

Taking over $10,000 over the border without reporting it is illegal, but you can carry around however much you want.

It would be a strange land that we lived in indeed if carrying around slips of paper that the government assures me is "legal tender for all debts public and private" could be illegal.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 14, 2009, 01:31:09 AM
Maybe it was dumb, but I carried around thousands of $ of cash on me in places like South Central LA and Inglewood to look at used cars. I didn't use a cashier's check because it's easier to bargain a lower price if you have the cash on the spot than if you had to come back from the bank with a cashier's check. CC might be safer, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one in South Central walking around with thousands of $ in cash on their person.
Same here. I drove from Cleveland to Long Island,NY with $5,500 in my pocket when I picked up my (now stolen) GSXR.  :huh:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

TBR

Quote from: Byteme on March 12, 2009, 11:02:32 AM
See my post at:  http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=17805.0   I've been stopped there before.

That area is famous for that kind of crap.  The area between Nacogdoches and Carthage Texas on US 59 is famous for speed traps and questionable search and seizures.  Smart drivers take US 259 north out of carthage and then take state road 315 over to Carthage, thus avoiding that area altogether.

And the stops aren't really about drugs, it's about shaking down otherwise innocent people.

Hehe, that is my route to Shreveport when I am going back to school from home (or vice versa).

Vinsanity

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on March 14, 2009, 04:14:30 PM
Same here. I drove from Cleveland to Long Island,NY with $5,500 in my pocket when I picked up my (now stolen) GSXR.  :huh:

Yikes! I had no idea your bike got stolen :lockedup:

Hate to hear that it happened, but you do have to admit the irony that you ran a higher risk of getting mugged for your cash as well as crashing your bike only to have it stolen.

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 14, 2009, 12:12:59 PM
I think it is the responsibility of the general public to look upon any authority with some distrust. Whether it be law enforcement or the government in general. I'm not saying we shouldn't trust them at all, but we can't just let them do whatever and not give it a thought.

That was the overall crux of my argument.  Part of it did get lost in the belligerent language, though.  I got caught up in the moment, what can I say?   :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i