Best and Worst Warning Chime

Started by 2o6, March 13, 2009, 07:13:54 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on March 13, 2009, 09:05:44 PM
When you get out of the water you need to dry off right away to avoid catching a cold.

A towe is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have. Partly it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc, etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

2o6

I live Nissan's Mid 90's "twinkle" in it's cars.

Skip to around 1:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNG8vXGNMKY

giant_mtb

Quote from: TBR on March 13, 2009, 05:24:41 PM
One thing I like about the Prelude is it as two very distinctive chimes, one for the keys and one for the lights. Of course, I more frequently forget to turn the headlights on than I do forget to turn them off (gauges are always lit, so if I start in a well lit parking lot I don't notice that they aren't on).

That's one thing I don't like about DTRLs.  People constantly are driving around with just their DTRLs on because not only are the gauges lit, but - on a lot of cars I've seen, anyway - the main headlights are (dimly) lit.  LOOK I HAZ HEADLIGHTS ON. 

...then I flash them.

(not saying that's you, though...just made me think of it)

TBR

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 14, 2009, 02:57:47 PM
That's one thing I don't like about DTRLs.  People constantly are driving around with just their DTRLs on because not only are the gauges lit, but - on a lot of cars I've seen, anyway - the main headlights are (dimly) lit.  LOOK I HAZ HEADLIGHTS ON. 

...then I flash them.

I have gotten to where I turn the lights on before I am even in the seat so that I don't forget. I don't have DRLs though so if I am not in a well lit parking lot or on a well lit road I notice pretty quickly.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: NomisR on March 13, 2009, 05:16:45 PM
They do?  How do you check oil level??
BMW wants you to bring the car in. Then they will drain the oil pan and let you know how much oil is in the car. Can you say cha-ching?  :nutty:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Speed_Racer

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on March 14, 2009, 04:25:26 PM
BMW wants you to bring the car in. Then they will drain the oil pan and let you know how much oil is in the car. Can you say cha-ching?  :nutty:

And I think it has an electronic dipstick, accessible through the car's computer.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 14, 2009, 02:57:47 PM

...then I flash them.

I have DRLs, but my gauges aren't lit until I turn them on fully.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

I think that's typical. It is of the DRL cars I've driven.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

93JC

Many newer Hondas and Toyotas have gauge lights on all the time.

Laconian

Quote from: 93JC on March 14, 2009, 10:10:42 PM
The Accord's gauges get DIMMER when you turn on the lights!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

I think the thinking is that it's better to have a smaller difference in brightness between the dark outside and the gauges so it's easier on the eyes. Also, bright gauges can be distracting. They're brighter in the day because they wouldn't show up at all if they were dimmer.

I still think that's silly, though. I always turn my dash lights up all the way. Not that either of my cars have bright dash lights...

TBR

Quote from: Laconian on March 14, 2009, 10:11:21 PM
The Accord's gauges get DIMMER when you turn on the lights!

As do mine (though you can over-ride it). The glare off the windshield is very distracting when they are on full brightness.

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on March 15, 2009, 12:22:00 AM
I think the thinking is that it's better to have a smaller difference in brightness between the dark outside and the gauges so it's easier on the eyes. Also, bright gauges can be distracting. They're brighter in the day because they wouldn't show up at all if they were dimmer.

I still think that's silly, though. I always turn my dash lights up all the way. Not that either of my cars have bright dash lights...

I'm so glad my Passat and Jetta have dimmers.  I had almost forgotten what nightvision was like after two years in my Mercedes.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on March 14, 2009, 10:10:42 PM

Many newer cars also have those electroluminescent gauges that are completely black when the car is off, so there's no way for them to be unlit.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on March 15, 2009, 12:22:00 AM

If the gauges are lit red or orange, its not too bad. Green isn't bad either, but I do like to have those dimmer. Any car with blue dash lights is almost annoying enough to me to be a deal breaker. Those are always dimmed as far as I can tolerate.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18019.msg1019483#msg1019483 date=1237131775
I'm so glad my Passat and Jetta have dimmers.  I had almost forgotten what nightvision was like after two years in my Mercedes.

You couldn't dim the dash lights in your mercedes?

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 15, 2009, 03:18:04 PM
You couldn't dim the dash lights in your mercedes?

Not to my knowledge.  Can't do it in my mom's S either.  Unless there's some way deep in the menus, I can't recall any way to dim the lights.  I remember Car and Driver complaining that the W220 S class's lights were too bright and affected nightvision. 

I really want to drive a Saab with Night Panel at night.  I think it would be cool.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on March 15, 2009, 03:45:00 PM
Not to my knowledge.  Can't do it in my mom's S either.  Unless there's some way deep in the menus, I can't recall any way to dim the lights.  I remember Car and Driver complaining that the W220 S class's lights were too bright and affected nightvision. 

I really want to drive a Saab with Night Panel at night.  I think it would be cool.

a: That's utterly shocking.

b: what's Night panel?

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 15, 2009, 03:47:10 PM

Saab's feature that blacks out all lights except those that are essential. (The speedo)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on March 15, 2009, 03:49:35 PM

Saab's feature that blacks out all lights except those that are essential. (The speedo)

I don't think I'd trust the Swedes to know what I considered essential.

That being said, I miss the peterbilt I use to drive that had an individual dimmer knob for every gauge.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 15, 2009, 03:47:10 PM

I didn't even know that cars came with dimmer switches until I got my Passat.

Night Panel:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on March 15, 2009, 03:54:32 PM
I didn't even know that cars came with dimmer switches until I got my Passat.

Night Panel:

I don't think I'd like that.

I always thought dimmers were one of those things that all cars had to have regardless of what else they lacked. My Nova had panel dimmers, as does the '59 Volkswagen in my driveway: and that's a car that lacks everything!

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 15, 2009, 03:56:39 PM
I don't think I'd like that.

I always thought dimmers were one of those things that all cars had to have regardless of what else they lacked. My Nova had panel dimmers, as does the '59 Volkswagen in my driveway: and that's a car that lacks everything!

Mercedes knows best.  I still think it bothers them that they have adjustable seats and mirrors. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Best:  Subaru because it's virtually non-existent.

Worst - Old school:  Honda -- Beep-beep-beep-beep!  Beep-beep-beep-beep!  Beep-beep-beep-beep!  Beep-beep-beep-beep!

Worst - New school:  BMW -- It gets louder through the radio speakers just to piss you off.  And it goes off for anything!  And it's just so annoying!  Bwo-ong!  Bwo-ong!  Bwo-ong!  Bwo-ong!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

Face it, if Subaru had an air raid siren for a buzzer, you'd still think it was the best.

My Camry's buzzer wasn't triggered by the lights. My battery was drained on several occasions because the parking lights were on and I wasn't made aware of it.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on March 15, 2009, 06:39:53 PM
Face it, if Subaru had an air raid siren for a buzzer, you'd still think it was the best.

If I didn't notice it, sure.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

I should start a thread on turn signal volume.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18019.msg1019757#msg1019757 date=1237164405
I should start a thread on turn signal volume.

Did you know that turn signal flashers started out as thermal mechanical switches that actually clicked just because of the mechanical action of the bimetal switch, but have since been replaced by solid state electronics that are naturally silent? However, even with the loss of the mechanical switch, drivers demanded to continue hearing the clicking sound, so manufacturers had to create artificial turn signal flashing sound effects.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on March 15, 2009, 06:52:02 PM
Did you know that turn signal flashers started out as thermal mechanical switches that actually clicked just because of the mechanical action of the bimetal switch, but have since been replaced by solid state electronics that are naturally silent? However, even with the loss of the mechanical switch, drivers demanded to continue hearing the clicking sound, so manufacturers had to create artificial turn signal flashing sound effects.

I could swear that I've read those exact same words somewhere before.