Total Members Voted: 7

SVT_Power

Okay so I have no engine hoist

So do I:

1. Use the lift to act as an engine hoist and drop the engine
2. Use the lift to act as an engine hoist and pull the engine
3. Start taking stuff off the top and pull the block in the end

#1 is what it says in the service manual
#2 seems the most convenient although might cause headaches because there's so little room
#3 is probably the best learning experience
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Secret Chimp

In FWD cars it seems like most people get the car waaaaaay the fuck up in the air and then drop the engine through the bottom.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

The Pirate

Quote from: Secret Chimp on March 16, 2009, 10:34:03 PM
In FWD cars it seems like most people get the car waaaaaay the fuck up in the air and then drop the engine through the bottom.

On that note, you'd want to be careful, but you could possibly use a motorcycle jack to support the engine as it's being pulled out of the car.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Laconian

Are you doing the entire swap yourself?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Byteme

Depends on what you are working on.  On some cars it makes sense to drop the engine, in others it's better to pull it out the top.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

Swift engine was best pulled from the top with the transaxle. Contour engine I'm not sure, but I think the procedures I sent him said to separate the engine from the trans and pull it out the top?

Eye of the Tiger

No, nevermind, this is what it says

"Lower the engine/transaxle assembly from the vehicle, =r raise the vehicle over the assembly."

So, all you need is a few jacks and a frame life - no engine hoist required.

S204STi

The typical service proceedure for this vehicle would be to drop the engine cradle with the engine and transmission together and lift the vehicle out of the way.  This is something you need a lift for.  You could use jack stands to support the engine cradle rather than the special tool that Ford recommends. 

(Basically what I would do is disconnect everything from the engine/transmission, figure on also removing the CV axles from the wheel bearings, remove brake calipers and hang them on the body somewhere under the wheel well, disconnect steering shaft under the dash, etc. etc. etc., lower vehicle so that jackstands are supporting subframe, unbolt subframe, lift vehicle away from subframe).

S204STi

You will eventually need an engine hoist however to lift the engine from the subframe and install the new/used one.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on March 17, 2009, 08:46:10 AM
You will eventually need an engine hoist however to lift the engine from the subframe and install the new/used one.

Ya, engines are heavy, even with 3 people to pick it up. And maneuvering it around to line it back up with the trans is a big enough pain in the ass without having to worry about carrying all the weight of the engine yourself.

FoMoJo

I've removed engines with a couple of double pulleys (block and tackle) supported by a beam in the garage.  Just lift the engine up and push the car back.  Get a 4 wheel dolley to set the engine on and you can do it by yourself; providing you've got a handy beam to attach the block and tackle to.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

the Teuton

Renting a cherry picker from an auto store isn't that expensive and it's usually partially if not completely refundable.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Byteme

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 17, 2009, 12:22:49 PM
I've removed engines with a couple of double pulleys (block and tackle) supported by a beam in the garage.  Just lift the engine up and push the car back.  Get a 4 wheel dolley to set the engine on and you can do it by yourself; providing you've got a handy beam to attach the block and tackle to.

I've done that myself with some lumber and a chain hoist.  Built an a-frame structure to which I attached the chain hoist.

I suppose buying an engine hoist is out of the question?  See:
http://www.bizrate.com/automotiverepairtools/products__keyword--engine+hoist.html

You might want to check pawn shops or craig's list for a used one.  Think about investing in an engine leveler as well.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Byteme on March 17, 2009, 02:02:40 PM
I've done that myself with some lumber and a chain hoist.  Built an a-frame structure to which I attached the chain hoist.

I suppose buying an engine hoist is out of the question?  See:
http://www.bizrate.com/automotiverepairtools/products__keyword--engine+hoist.html

You might want to check pawn shops or craig's list for a used one.  Think about investing in an engine leveler as well.
They're pretty cheap today compared to years ago.  Once I start my project I plan on getting a few helpful items; including an Autotwirler.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT_Power

we're trying to avoid having to discharge the A/C so we're gonna pull it up through the top
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

update for the night:

not too much progress got about 1/4 through the process according to the service manual

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: M_power on March 17, 2009, 09:08:45 PM
we're trying to avoid having to discharge the A/C so we're gonna pull it up through the top

wat

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on March 17, 2009, 09:11:59 PM
wat

The compressor is probably bolted to the bottom of the block.

S204STi

I suppose that could work.  Could also just unbolt the compressor from the block and let it sit off the the side...

280Z Turbo

It worked when I swapped the motor on the Z.

SVT_Power

4 bolts holding transaxle and engine together. those out tmr morning and then engine out as well

SVT_Power

oh and i just zip tied the A/C compressor onto the side without taking anything off :praise:

Raza

This is a long time coming.  Good luck, Ed.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: M_power on March 18, 2009, 10:34:02 PM
oh and i just zip tied the A/C compressor onto the side without taking anything off :praise:

That's the spirit.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT