Here goes...

Started by 850CSi, August 09, 2005, 08:36:57 PM

850CSi

Some of you might remember me saying a couple months back that we're going to be replacing my '99 A4 with a brand-new car in the $30K range. Basically, this is happening because:

1) The A4 has 90,000 miles on it. You really don't want to be driving a late-'90s Audi with 90,000 miles on it, especially when it's been acting up lately.
2) I got a very high ACT score and my parents are willing to spoil me.
3) I'm graduating HS this year

Technically, this is still going to be my dad's car, except it serves as my daily driver most of the time. We'll be switching off occasionally, because my dad loves driving a small sedan as opposed to his X3 every once in a while.

Through brand bias and what I honestly feel are two of the best cars in this class, we've narrowed it down to either:
-2006 BMW 325i 6sp Manual
-2006 Audi A4 2.0T quattro 6sp Manual

We're likely going to go very light on options for two reasons. One is to keep the cost down. The other is because both of these cars already come with a very nice list of standard options.

Configured the way I would want them to be (Basically just metallic paint and premium package), they would cost:
325i: $34,370 MSRP
A4: $32,720 MSRP

That's a difference of $1650. The thing is that we know a manager at the BMW dealership, so figure the Bimmer to be cheaper than its MSRP suggests.

Honestly, I feel that the 325i is worth an extra $1K over the A4. It's bigger inside, quicker, and handles better. The A4 has quattro and a nicer interior on its side.

I'm leaning towards the Bimmer. My dad's leaning towards the Audi but really doesn't mind that much since both are still fun to drive.

Here's the problem: My dad was the BMW dealership the other day. There isn't a single manual-transmission 325i available in all of the Chicagoland area. A4s, on the other hand, are easily found in manual form. I suppose we could have one shipped from another area, though...

giant_mtb

The Audi looks better, if that helps.  :praise:  

TBR

I personally prefer the A4. Mtl_A4 went through a shockingly similar situation last year, and he decided on the Audi.  

850CSi

QuoteI personally prefer the A4. Mtl_A4 went through a shockingly similar situation last year, and he decided on the Audi.
Actually, his situation is quite different.

We're looking at two models here that went through major changes between the '05 and '06 model years. ;)

Colonel Cadillac

I love Audi's, but I also love BMW's. Whichever is more fun to drive I would get. It doesn't matter how long it takes to get, because the Audi you have now is pretty sick.  

850CSi

QuoteThe Audi looks better, if that helps.  :praise:
I honestly can't decide which one looks better from the outside. As for interior, I've been in both:
The Audi's looks and feels better.
The Bimmer's has a better layout.

BMWDave

I like the Bimmer's styling better on the outside.  The Audi does have a nicer interior with regards to appearance.

They both might be the same, since you know the manager.  And you can always have a car shipped to you.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

JYODER240

I like them both and either way you can't go wrong. The Bimmer will probably be more fun to drive but the Quattro will be nice in the winter. Either way its a win-win situation. ;)  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

footoflead

Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

TBR

QuoteI personally prefer the A4. Mtl_A4 went through a shockingly similar situation last year, and he decided on the Audi.

We're looking at two models here that went through major changes between the '05 and '06 model years. ;)
Yes, but he was faced to choose between either an automatic 325i (which he prefered) or a manual A4.

giant_mtb

QuoteThe Audi looks better, if that helps.  :praise:
I honestly can't decide which one looks better from the outside. As for interior, I've been in both:
The Audi's looks and feels better.
The Bimmer's has a better layout.
Exterior-wise they are pretty equal, but I think the side profile of the Bimmer makes its exterior styling inferior to the Audi's... just my .02.  :)  

850CSi

Yes, but he was faced to choose between either an automatic 325i (which he prefered) or a manual A4.
The difference here is that I can still wait for or get a manual 3er.

There's NO way I'm getting an auto.

Colonel Cadillac

He went manual, and he can't go back to the dirty automatic.  

850CSi

QuoteHe went manual, and he can't go back to the dirty automatic.
Actually, I started manual and refuse to switch to an auto.

Raghavan

Get the 3er. Have you also looked at a G35?

850CSi

QuoteGet the 3er. Have you also looked at a G35?
No, because I don't like 'em.

saxonyron

You've narrowed this down to a win-win - congratulations!  My obvious bias would be for the A4.  Reasons are that I'm an Audi fan for 20 yrs, and also, living in the snow belt, quattro makes total sense.  One of the reasons I like Audis in general is that there are fewer of them around. Also, peoples' prejudices regarding MB and BMW would be a detriment for me.  (Clients don't seem to mind when I show up in my A6, but  the other 2 Deutsche marques would imply that I'm hosing them. They're unaware of the fact that they all cost about the same.)  I also don't like being "one of the crowd", so the public perception of these cars suits me well.  If you don't have those issues to contend with, and the BMW gets your blood flowing more, go for it.  Good luck pulling the trigger!  :lol:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raghavan

what's wrong with em? cos it's Japanese, and doesn't have the prestige of the other two? For the price of a 325i, you can get a G35 with more options, and 298 hp. :praise:  

SJ_GTI

Have you driven the A4 yet?

It will need the sport package to be able to handle like the 325i (sans sport package). Actually the sport package on the 325i is somewhat superfluous as the handling seems about the same...you are basically getting an interior appearan package, lower springs, and wider tires. ll of which are nice, but don't change the personality of the car much. On the A4 I found that the sport package makes a much bigger difference, probably due to the nose-heavy nature requiring stiffer springs to feel more nimble. The sport package only adds $750 US to the price and you get larger wheels and a better suspension. Definitely worth it IMHO.

That being said, the 325i is the better car overall. If I was in your place I would order a 325i with the exact options you want from the factory (or if your dealer can get one exactly how you want even better). I was in a hurry when I bought my car and needed to take delivery since I had already sold my Z3 and the A4 just had better options at the time (basically fully loaded + manual). The 325i's I looked at were all automatics (coupes had some manuals, but I wanted a sedan for some reason). Otherwise I would have taken a 325i.

(side note: my first choise was actually a Saab 9-3 Aero, but when i went to start dealing I found out GM would not finance me in Canada since I only have a temporary working permit, nothing perminant)

BMWDave

what's wrong with em? cos it's Japanese, and doesn't have the prestige of the other two? For the price of a 325i, you can get a G35 with more options, and 298 hp. :praise:
Hp isnt the only factor of a car, you know.  And Faris isnt exactly looking at the bargain basement.  However much more they will cost, the 325i is the better car.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

I'd definitely go with the BMW on this, especially with that small of a price difference. Have you looked at a TSX, by the way?

Raza

Also, the Bimmer was yellow and an auto
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

Hp isnt the only factor of a car, you know.  And Faris isnt exactly looking at the bargain basement.  However much more they will cost, the 325i is the better car.
Well, he didn't even say why he didnt like the car... And mags have said that the G handles almost as good as the 3er.

850CSi

1- Horsepower is not my concern in any way
2- My dad's spending the cash and, like me, he's biased towards Audi and BMW in particular.

Put those two factors into the equation, and the G35 doesn't really make much sense.

850CSi

QuoteYou've narrowed this down to a win-win - congratulations!  My obvious bias would be for the A4.  Reasons are that I'm an Audi fan for 20 yrs, and also, living in the snow belt, quattro makes total sense.  One of the reasons I like Audis in general is that there are fewer of them around. Also, peoples' prejudices regarding MB and BMW would be a detriment for me.  (Clients don't seem to mind when I show up in my A6, but  the other 2 Deutsche marques would imply that I'm hosing them. They're unaware of the fact that they all cost about the same.)  I also don't like being "one of the crowd", so the public perception of these cars suits me well.  If you don't have those issues to contend with, and the BMW gets your blood flowing more, go for it.  Good luck pulling the trigger!  :lol:
I like the A4 mainly because it screams "Different!". Most of you can probably guess my attitude about all these people going out and buying automatic 325i's for the badge.
When it comes down to it, though, those factors really aren't enough to sway my decision to either.

850CSi

QuoteIt will need the sport package to be able to handle like the 325i (sans sport package). Actually the sport package on the 325i is somewhat superfluous as the handling seems about the same...you are basically getting an interior appearan package, lower springs, and wider tires. ll of which are nice, but don't change the personality of the car much. On the A4 I found that the sport package makes a much bigger difference, probably due to the nose-heavy nature requiring stiffer springs to feel more nimble. The sport package only adds $750 US to the price and you get larger wheels and a better suspension. Definitely worth it IMHO.
Wow, I never noticed that Sport Package was that cheap...

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll defenitely go for the sport package if we decide to go A4 in the end.

850CSi

QuoteI'd definitely go with the BMW on this, especially with that small of a price difference. Have you looked at a TSX, by the way?
I haven't looked at the TSX. I probably should... Thing is, after experiencing torque steer, I have a general dislike for FWD.

ifcar

QuoteI'd definitely go with the BMW on this, especially with that small of a price difference. Have you looked at a TSX, by the way?
I haven't looked at the TSX. I probably should... Thing is, after experiencing torque steer, I have a general dislike for FWD.
The TSX doesn't have a torque steer problem, doesn't have enough torque.  :P

It's a great car though, you really do need to give it at least a look and a test drive.

850CSi

Guys, another factor is depreciation...

Me and my dad were considering going used and were looking at 2002-2004 BMW 325i's. A good 2003 with average mileage is being sold for around $26K or more... And that's after the introduction of a new bodystyle!

The Bimmer's going to depreciate slowly. Audis don't tend to hold their value as well.

mazda6er

I would get the BMW. To me, it just has more of a "wow, that's freakin' awesome!" factor to it. Plus the Audi's nose just doesn't look right with the big U.S. plates on it (since the black strip was meant for the thin European plates).
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer