Getting a car

Started by ifcar, March 23, 2009, 03:23:19 PM

Cobra93

If you are looking at a Focus, avoid the 2.0L SOHC (eighth digit of VIN=P). The 2.0L DOHC (eighth digit of VIN=3) is a good engine.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 23, 2009, 05:38:12 PM
He's right.  I can't find a ZX3 or ZX5 under $5000 on autotrader.com.  Although he should be able to find one on craigslist.  In fact, if he could spring for a ZX3 or a ZX5, then he could afford the SVT.  That's fucking nuts.

There were some ZX3s. But I figure the LX manual sedan is the most likely Focus model to have been driven by someone who buys the stickshift economy car primarily for its fuel efficiency anyway, and I'd expect insurance is pricier on a 2/3-door car.

ifcar

Quote from: Cobra93 on March 23, 2009, 06:08:38 PM
If you are looking at a Focus, avoid the 2.0L SOHC (eighth digit of VIN=P). The 2.0L DOHC (eighth digit of VIN=3) is a good engine.

What specifically is the problem?

2o6

What about a Jetta, Golf or New Beetle?

ifcar

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on March 23, 2009, 06:58:33 PM

The hit or miss nature of the reliability of those cars makes it a risky venture.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Cobra93

Quote from: ifcar on March 23, 2009, 06:58:00 PM
What specifically is the problem?
The valve seats come out of the heads resulting in total engine destruction.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on March 23, 2009, 06:58:33 PM

New Beetle? Really? His sister already has a car.

ifcar

Quote from: Cobra93 on March 24, 2009, 09:55:06 AM
The valve seats come out of the heads resulting in total engine destruction.

Nice.

I don't know that I'll be able to choose between engines, so is there anything I can look for on those cars to see if they're looking bad?

Cobra93

Quote from: ifcar on March 24, 2009, 10:34:20 AM
Nice.

I don't know that I'll be able to choose between engines, so is there anything I can look for on those cars to see if they're looking bad?
Nope. It's internal.

ifcar

Quote from: Cobra93 on March 24, 2009, 11:10:34 AM
Nope. It's internal.

I wish I could be pickier in my price range, but I'll try to look for the higher-end Focuses.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on March 24, 2009, 11:14:31 AM
I wish I could be pickier in my price range, but I'll try to look for the higher-end Focuses.

You'll never know what'll jump out at you.

nickdrinkwater

the Teuton

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 25, 2009, 02:32:16 PM
E36?

Ifcar doesn't have a sense of fun.

An E36 would make as much sense to him as a Corolla would to Michael Schumacher.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on March 25, 2009, 03:15:17 PM
Ifcar doesn't have a sense of fun.

An E36 would make as much sense to him as a Corolla would to Michael Schumacher.

More importantly, what sort of reliability would I expect from a $3,000 BMW?

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on March 25, 2009, 02:53:12 PM
I don't need a full-size car.

Damn, I was going to suggest to you the same Crown Vic I suggested to 2o6.

I think both of you should each buy one so you can play real-life cops and robbers cops

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on March 25, 2009, 03:28:49 PM

Case-in-point.

Iffy reads Consumer Reports; not an enthusiast mag.

If you want a good $3,000 car, you're screwed because every $3,000 has a deficiency. 

Imprezas get lousy gas mileage.  Civics and Corollas are overpriced for what you get.  Neons are kinda shoddy.  BMWs are expensive to maintain.  Mitsubishis are rubbish. 

You know what, Ifcar, get a Suzuki Aerio.  That should solve all of your problems.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on March 25, 2009, 03:28:49 PM

From what I hear, BMW's are rock solid. Parts aren't cheap, though.

What about a Chrysler PT? It's has more utility, is quicker, handles great and is better equipped than the Focus LX. MPG's aren't that great, but hopefully you have more than one car on your list.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on March 25, 2009, 03:32:28 PM
Case-in-point.

Iffy reads Consumer Reports; not an enthusiast mag.

If you want a good $3,000 car, you're screwed because every $3,000 has a deficiency. 

Imprezas get lousy gas mileage.  Civics and Corollas are overpriced for what you get.  Neons are kinda shoddy.  BMWs are expensive to maintain.  Mitsubishis are rubbish. 

You know what, Ifcar, get a Suzuki Aerio.  That should solve all of your problems.

So because nothing is perfect I shouldn't care if I get one that will run? :rolleyes:

2o6

Seriously, I'm going to go out and say that CR has little wind and sway when it comes to a car purchase. Car buying is emotional.

Quote from: ifcar on March 25, 2009, 03:33:55 PM
So because nothing is perfect I shouldn't care if I get one that will run? :rolleyes:

If you're THAT concerned with reliability, then the Focus isn't the most prime pick.

An old Malibu Classic would be a very good choice.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on March 25, 2009, 03:33:55 PM

You give far too much of a rat's ass about reliability for a USED car.  A reputation doesn't ensure a reliable, cheap car.

Honestly, get an Aerio.  It meets every requirement you have.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on March 25, 2009, 03:37:12 PM
You give far too much of a rat's ass about reliability for a USED car.  A reputation doesn't ensure a reliable, cheap car.

Unsafe.

ifcar

My, but do some people have trouble understanding anything but extremes. There is a difference between wanting something more reliable than an old BMW and only caring about reliability.

The Malibu Classic was sold only to fleets -- not great for reliability -- and doesn't have a stick. And it isn't cheap. And it doesn't have a strong reliability history. And it doesn't offer anything else that would make it appealing to offset that, unless I needed something bigger, which I don't.

2o6

I think you're looking at it too much as an equation.

In this price range, everything will have problems.

the Teuton

I wanted a Civic.  I ended up with a mostly reliable Impreza.

Iffy, I don't think you know what you want because you're rejecting anything an enthusiast forum could recommend to you for the money.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on March 25, 2009, 03:41:47 PM
I think you're looking at it too much as an equation.

In this price range, everything will have problems.

Iffy dreams in binary.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on March 25, 2009, 03:37:12 PM

Okay, find an Aerio that meets my criteria. $3,500, stickshift, DC area, not too high mileage. The only two Aerios that came close within 100 miles an AutoTrader were automatic, $4,500 and $5,000, and had well over 100k.

I'm just looking for a basic economy car that's as new and low-mileage as possible with a decent reliability history, because in general that's going to be the least likely to break and the least expensive to repair when it does.

Why would a $3,000 BMW come close to even a Suzuki Aerio (if there were actually one available) in providing basic transportation? The car isn't going to be a toy that will be fun to tinker with when it doesn't work, I'll need it to get around.