Go Ford!

Started by SVT666, March 31, 2009, 09:09:08 AM

Morris Minor

Quote from: Submariner on March 31, 2009, 09:15:06 AM
Good...Obama's little nationalization rape scheme wont hit them, at least.

Yes it will. Obama is using the tax dollars of Ford's employees and stockholders against them, by propping up its zombie competitors.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

NomisR

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 31, 2009, 03:04:56 PM
Yes it will. Obama is using the tax dollars of Ford's employees and stockholders against them, by propping up its zombie competitors.

Well, Americans seems to like zombies, we even have a day dedicated to one.

GoCougs

Quote from: NomisR on March 31, 2009, 12:23:05 PM
Well, Unions were created not by government but by individuals organizing to go against the corporations.  The problem is Unions is that it's like a government agency now.  It does not allow for accountability and is just as bureaucratic as government agencies.  From older people that I talk to.. first generation Unioners, they actually cooperated with management to get things done.  But of course, once things drags along, there's a sense of entitlement and things change.  That's the problem.

Unions came into being to combat the government force being abused by corporations; and yes, it is no coincidence that unions and government are similar; they're actually cut from the same cloth, on more than a few levels.

Catman

Waiting patiently to see 2010 Explorer........ :mask:

SVT666

Quote from: Catman on March 31, 2009, 03:57:50 PM
Waiting patiently to see 2010 Explorer........ :mask:
Are you going to consider one if you like what you see?

Catman

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 31, 2009, 04:03:39 PM
Are you going to consider one if you like what you see?

Probably.  I would have to wait till it was old news and the incentives to kick in.  I like the Acadia and Traverse but the narrow width of the roof is an issue for me since I use the roof rack a lot.  The Pilot is ideal but I want to buy American.

ifcar

Quote from: Catman on March 31, 2009, 04:19:54 PM
Probably.  I would have to wait till it was old news and the incentives to kick in.  I like the Acadia and Traverse but the narrow width of the roof is an issue for me since I use the roof rack a lot.  The Pilot is ideal but I want to buy American.

Taurus X?

Catman

Quote from: ifcar on March 31, 2009, 06:34:41 PM
Taurus X?

Yeah, I like them.  It's being discontinued?  My wife isn't a fan so it would be an uphill battle though.

ifcar

Quote from: Catman on March 31, 2009, 06:38:43 PM
Yeah, I like them.  It's being discontinued?  My wife isn't a fan so it would be an uphill battle though.

It's being discontinued, so discounts should abound, and it's selling slowly so inventory should persist.

Catman

Quote from: ifcar on March 31, 2009, 06:49:36 PM
It's being discontinued, so discounts should abound, and it's selling slowly so inventory should persist.

I was thinking the same thing.  After incentives I think one would be hard pressed to find an equivalent vehicle for the money.

SVT666

Quote from: Catman on March 31, 2009, 06:59:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing.  After incentives I think one would be hard pressed to find an equivalent vehicle for the money.
We love ours.  The only reason we're ditching it at the end of the lease is that my wife really really wants sliding doors.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 31, 2009, 08:16:25 PM
We love ours.  The only reason we're ditching it at the end of the lease is that my wife really really wants sliding doors.

:rockon:  :clap:  :rockon:  :clap:  :rockon:  :clap:  :rockon:  :clap:  :rockon:  :clap: :rockon:  :clap:

Mazda5 or something bigger??
Will

SVT666

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 01, 2009, 10:06:23 AM
:rockon:  :clap:  :rockon:  :clap:  :rockon:  :clap:  :rockon:  :clap:  :rockon:  :clap: :rockon:  :clap:

Mazda5 or something bigger??
Nissan Quest.  We drove one on the weekend and she fell in love with it.

r0tor

If the rumours ever come true that b.O. will force Gm away from trucks/SUVs almost entirely to focus on 'green cars', Ford is going to make a killing in the US market....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on April 01, 2009, 01:58:57 PM
If the rumours ever come true that b.O. will force Gm away from trucks/SUVs almost entirely to focus on 'green cars', Ford is going to make a killing in the US market....
I heard that BO isn't keen on the Volt.  He doesn't think there's a market for a car like that.

Byteme

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 01, 2009, 02:03:12 PM
I heard that BO isn't keen on the Volt.  He doesn't think there's a market for a car like that.
He's probably right.  it's a niche car and it's probably a small niche.

Nethead

No wonder.  'Performs like a Volt, costs like a CTS.
So many stairs...so little time...

hotrodalex

B.O. isn't a car guy. He's a politician. Thus, I don't care what he says.

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 01, 2009, 02:12:42 PM
So being a politician means he can't possibly be a car guy?

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 01, 2009, 02:32:02 PM
So being a politician means he can't possibly be a car guy?

No, but not being a car guy means he's not a car guy. 

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on April 01, 2009, 02:45:22 PM
No, but not being a car guy means he's not a car guy. 
I just don't like it when people say someone can't be a car guy if they are "pick occupation here".

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 01, 2009, 03:09:44 PM
I just don't like it when people say someone can't be a car guy if they are "pick occupation here".

Yeah, but at least it's two seperate statements, 1, he's not a car guy 2. he's a politician. 

Catman

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 01, 2009, 02:12:42 PM

You shouldn't care.  He's never run a business, WTF does he know about cars?

Colonel Cadillac

How would he not like the Volt? It is a revolutionary car that will quite possibly transform the industry towards his "green" goals.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 01, 2009, 01:41:11 PM
Nissan Quest.  We drove one on the weekend and she fell in love with it.

Nissan's Mississippi plant has produced among the least reliable new cars in recent history. It's easy to see why one would enjoy driving it, but everything but the powertrain has proven trouble-prone.

Colonel Cadillac

I'm sure the stockholders (and the Ford family) are extremely happy with Mullally's performance and the fact that they are not going to get wiped out.

Morris Minor

Not when gas is as cheap as it is now.

If BO is serious about getting people to use less gas, he needs to punish its use by imposing a hefty gas tax - say $5/gal. They've done that in Europe quite successfully, as evidenced by the nasty little cars that are so popular there.

But even if gas were $7/gal I think hybrids would have a hard time competing against small-engined conventional vehicles which, unburdened by heavy battery packs and engineering complexity, are cheaper.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Nethead

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 02, 2009, 06:26:08 AM

If BO is serious about getting people to use less gas, he needs to punish its use by imposing a hefty gas tax - say $5/gal.
:wtf:
They've done that in Europe quite successfully, as evidenced by the nasty little cars that are so popular there.

But even if gas were $7/gal I think hybrids would have a hard time competing against small-engined conventional vehicles which, unburdened by heavy battery packs and engineering complexity, are cheaper.
:hesaid:

Decline in line with the industry
Ford Motor Company's sales figures for March 2009 are down approximately 40 percent compared to March 2008, but there's a silver lining.  In a conference call with reporters Wednesday, April 1, George Pipas, U.S. Sales Analysis Manager noted that Ford increased retail market share in March to its highest level since December 2006, capping two consecutive quarters of retail share gains.  "Our decline in total sales (-41%) was in line with the industry, and we think most manufacturers will report declines in that range," said Pipas (He got that right! :lol:).  Ford estimates its retail share performace from October 2008 through March 2009 was the strongest of any major manufacturer compared with the same period a year ago.  Ford sales increased 30 percent compared with February 2009 with retail sales up 34 percent and fleet sales up 22 percent.

HOWEVER...even in a declining economy some decline more than others.  Check out the figures from the link in ifcar's "March sales" thread which contained a chart of the fifteen top-selling vehicles in the USA during March, 2009:

Best-selling cars of March 2009

1. Ford F-Series (large pickup) 32,728                         
2. Toyota Camry (midsize coupe and sedan) 25,783
3. Chevrolet Silverado (large pickup) 23,508                     
4. Honda Accord (midsize coupe and sedan) 22,722
5. Toyota Corolla (compact sedan and wagon) 22,257
6. Honda Civic (compact coupe and sedan) 20,645
7. Nissan Altima (midsize coupe and sedan) 19,521
8. Dodge Ram (large pickup) 19,328
9. Chevrolet Malibu (midsize sedan) 14,722
10. Honda CR-V (compact SUV) 12,959
11. Ford Fusion (midsize sedan) 12,723
12. Chevrolet Impala (large sedan) 12,648
13. Ford Escape (compact SUV) 12,580
14. Ford Focus (compact coupe and sedan) 12,383
15. Toyota RAV4 (compact SUV) 11,899

So in the top fifteen are: 

Four Fords               70,414 vehicles sold  The F150 was the king in March, and outsold the next truck by > 39%.
Three Toyotas          59,939 vehicles sold  The Camry outsold every pickup truck except for the F150.
Three Hondas           56,326 vehicles sold
Three Chevrolets       50,878 vehicles sold
One Nissan               19,521 vehicles sold
One Dodge               19,328 vehicles sold

Interesting that nothing Korean made the top fifteen, nor did anything European.  Japanese brands in the top fifteen totalled 135,786 vehicles sold, just under fifty percent of the total of the top fifteen vehicles sold in March, 2009.  They're strong in sixteen through whatever, too...
So many stairs...so little time...

SVT666

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 02, 2009, 06:26:08 AM

If BO is serious about getting people to use less gas, he needs to punish its use by imposing a hefty gas tax - say $5/gal. They've done that in Europe quite successfully, as evidenced by the nasty little cars that are so popular there.

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

GoCougs

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 01, 2009, 08:09:44 PM

How would he not like the Volt? It is a revolutionary car that will quite possibly transform the industry towards his "green" goals.

The Volt is failure incarnate.