Go Ford!

Started by SVT666, March 31, 2009, 09:09:08 AM

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 02, 2009, 09:04:19 AM
The Volt is failure incarnate.
I keep seeing shit on TV about how GM wouldn't be in the mess if they had just kept building the EV1.  I can't stand people who talk authoritatively about shit they know nothing about.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on April 02, 2009, 09:04:19 AM
The Volt is failure incarnate.

The technology is brilliant, but at this time GM needs something that will sell in droves........

Nethead

From www.leftlanenews.com, the article and the comments--since one of the comments contains the explanatory press release that the article does not.  It's also interesting to see the take other webheads have on this item since we can pretty much predict how the CarSPIN brothers will respond:

Ford cuts automotive debt by $9.9b

Ford announced on Monday that it has slashed its automotive debt by 38 percent. That translates into $9.9 billion in savings for the Blue Oval and is just the latest in a number of cost-cutting steps intended to help the Dearborn-based automaker return to profitability.

According to Automotive News, Ford used a combination of cash and common stock to reduce its debt by $9.9 billion. At the end of 2008, Ford?s automotive debt totaled $25.8 billion.

Ford has also reached a deal with the UAW to greatly reduce costs associated with retiree healthcare. Early indications suggest Ford?s deal with the UAW will save the company $500 million per year.

?By substantially reducing our debt, Ford is taking another step toward creating an exciting, viable enterprise,? Ford CEO Alan Mulally said in a statement. ?As with our recent agreements with the UAW, Ford continues to lead the industry in taking the decisive actions necessary to weather the current downturn and deliver long-term profitable growth.?

Ford was the only of the Big Three not to take a government bailout loan.

04/06, 1:51 PM posted by:Scarface03
I wonder what the UAW deal really means. Saving a half billion a year may just mean that the labor and legacy debt will increase not as quickly as it might without the deal.

04/06, 2:15 PM posted by:Borat
half a billion on 10 billion savings is 5%. Creative accounting can take of it. The question is how 10 billions are saved. And in this climate of falsifying returns, profits etc it is really interesting what revolutionary steps Ford made to reduce debt by 10 billions.

04/06, 2:28 PM posted by:JakeK66
Ford?s stock has almost doubled in the past 3 weeks?
I?m not 100% but I?m confident Ford will be the #2 automaker in the world in a couple years, maybe sooner if GM files chapter 11. If Ford can weather this storm, oh boy, even if the market shrinks under 10 million units, Ford?s increased market share from those scared to buy from a bankrupt automaker makes up for the loss of overall new vehicle sales.

04/06, 2:45 PM posted by:johnnycanuck
Borat, you?re such a skeptic. I for one accept wholeheartedly that Ford has sunshine, lollipops and rainbows coming out of their bunghole and that no artificial ingredients, animal testing, child labor or peanuts were used in their production.
Jake, I think you?re dead on. It?s rapidly becoming apparent that just as many people are aware Ford has not received any Fed money as there are folks who know GM and Chrysler have. It wasn?t that way at the start of this whole fiasco where the masses just assumed they were all evil by association.

04/06, 2:54 PM posted by:Bubs Solo
Here Borat? this is the official press release
and no I have not read it all.

FORD COMPLETES DEBT RESTRUCTURING INITIATIVES; REDUCES DEBT BY $9.9 BILLION AND LOWERS ANNUAL INTEREST EXPENSE BY MORE THAN $500 MILLION

* In total, Ford and Ford Credit will use $2.4 billion in cash plus 468 million shares of Ford common stock to reduce Ford?s outstanding Automotive debt by $9.9 billion from $25.8 billion at Dec. 31, 2008. This will reduce Ford?s annual cash interest expense by more than $500 million based on current interest rates

* This successful debt restructuring, together with previously announced agreements with the United Auto Workers, will substantially strengthen Ford?s balance sheet

* Approximately $4.3 billion principal amount of Ford Motor Company?s 4.25% Senior Convertible Notes due December 15, 2036 were validly tendered and accepted for purchase pursuant to Ford?s conversion offer. Ford will use $344 million to pay a cash premium to convertible note holders who validly tendered

* Ford Motor Credit Company today separately announced the final results of its previously announced $1.3 billion cash tender offer for Ford?s unsecured, non-convertible debt securities. Based on the tenders received, Ford Credit will use $1.1 billion in cash to purchase $3.4 billion principal amount of Ford?s unsecured notes

* As previously announced, Ford Credit used $1 billion to purchase $2.2 billion principal amount of Ford?s term loan debt at a price of 47 percent of par.

DEARBORN, Mich., April 6, 2009 ? Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) announced today the successful completion of debt restructuring initiatives that will reduce Ford?s Automotive debt by $9.9 billion from $25.8 billion at December 31, 2008, and lower Ford?s annual cash interest expense by more than $500 million based on current interest rates.

?By substantially reducing our debt, Ford is taking another step toward creating an exciting, viable enterprise,? said Ford President and CEO Alan Mulally. ?As with our recent agreements with the UAW, Ford continues to lead the industry in taking the decisive actions necessary to weather the current downturn and deliver long-term profitable growth.?

Previously Announced Debt Restructuring Initiatives

On March 4, 2009, Ford and Ford Credit announced the major components of a comprehensive debt restructuring: (1) a conversion offer in which Ford offered to pay a premium in cash to induce the holders of any and all of the $4.88 billion principal amount outstanding of its 4.25% Senior Convertible Notes due December 15, 2036 (the ?Convertible Notes?) to convert the Convertible Notes into shares of Ford?s common stock (the ?Conversion Offer?); (2) a $500 million cash tender offer by Ford Credit (the ?Term Loan Offer?) for Ford?s senior secured term loan debt (the ?Term Loan Debt?); and (3) a $1.3 billion cash tender offer (the ?Notes Tender Offer?) by Ford Credit for certain of Ford?s unsecured, non-convertible debt securities (the ?Notes?).

Results of Conversion Offer

The Conversion Offer expired at 9:00 a.m., New York City time, on April 3, 2009 (the ?Expiration Date?). As of the Expiration Date, approximately $4.3 billion principal amount of Convertible Notes were validly tendered and accepted for purchase, according to information provided by Computershare, Inc., the Exchange Agent with respect to the Conversion Offer. This will result in the issuance of an aggregate of approximately 468 million shares of Ford?s common stock and the payment of an aggregate of $344 million in cash ($80 in cash per $1,000 principal amount of Convertible Notes converted), plus the applicable accrued and unpaid interest on such Convertible Notes, on the expected settlement date of April 8, 2009. Upon settlement of the Conversion Offer, approximately $579 million aggregate principal amount of Convertible Notes will remain outstanding.

Holders who validly tendered and did not withdraw their Convertible Notes by 9:00 a.m., New York City time, on the Expiration Date and whose Convertible Notes were accepted for purchase will receive, for each $1,000 principal amount of the Convertible Notes converted, 108.6957 shares of Ford?s common stock plus $80 in cash and the applicable accrued and unpaid interest.

Previously Announced Results of Term Loan Offer

On March 23, 2009, Ford Credit announced that the Term Loan Offer, which expired at 5:00 p.m., New York City time, on March 19, 2009, had been over-subscribed. Based on the tenders received, Ford Credit increased the amount of cash used from $500 million to $1 billion to purchase $2.2 billion principal amount of Ford?s Term Loan Debt at a price of 47 percent of par. This transaction settled on March 27, 2009, following which Ford Credit distributed the Term Loan Debt to its immediate parent, Ford Holdings LLC. The distribution of the Term Loan Debt is consistent with Ford Credit?s previously announced plans to pay distributions to Ford of about $2 billion through 2010.

Approximately $4.6 billion aggregate principal amount of Term Loan Debt remains outstanding.

Concurrent with this announcement, Ford Credit separately announced today by press release the results of its previously announced $1.3 billion cash tender offer for Ford?s unsecured, non-convertible debt securities. As of the April 3, 2009 expiration date of the Notes Tender Offer, approximately $3.4 billion principal amount of Notes were validly tendered and accepted for purchase, according to information provided by Global Bondholder Services Corporation, the Depositary and Information Agent with respect to the Notes Tender Offer. This will result in an aggregate purchase price for the Notes of approximately $1.1 billion, to be paid by Ford Credit on the expected settlement date of April 8, 2009. Upon settlement of the Notes Tender Offer, such Notes will be transferred from Ford Credit to Ford in satisfaction of certain of Ford Credit?s tax liabilities to Ford. After settlement of the Notes Tender Offer, approximately $5.5 billion aggregate principal amount of the Notes will remain outstanding.

In addition, as Ford previously announced, it has elected to defer future interest payments related to the 6.50% Cumulative Convertible Trust Preferred Securities of Ford Motor Company Capital Trust II (the ?Trust Preferred Securities?), which will result in the deferral of $184 million in interest on the Trust Preferred Securities annually.

04/06, 2:57 PM posted by:Bubs Solo
Ford Shares are up 22% today.
I guess the people that know a little about Ford,s future are talking with their money.

04/06, 3:09 PM posted by:SHOspeed
Go Ford! Very good move in their part. I like how they havnt taken any loans from the government and they have used every tactic to reduce costs that the government is making GM and chrysler do, and actually beating them to it.

04/06, 4:21 PM posted by:DIESELPOWER
after 20 years in the car business, the quality of todays Ford product is what I am most excited about.
15 to 20 years ago, the only Ford to own was a full-size truck. Today, the whole product line has above average reliability ratings. American?s are producing good products. Don?t be the last person to notice.

04/06, 4:46 PM posted by:ricky_b
This is how an American company should operate to get back on their feet. Without need for government bailout, I think Ford will be in a position to overtake GM domestically. I?m encouraged by the products that they anticipating on introducing into the US soon (not so thrilled with some of the products in the current line up). I think it took an outside perspective (Mulally coming from Boeing) for Ford to reevaluate their position and point in the right direction. This is the kind of leadership (not management) that American companies need to rebuild our country?s position in the world of manufacturing.
SHOspeed - I also think Mulally wanted to avoid taking the money because I think he knew how brutal the Congressional scrutiny would be. I think this will make Ford even more respected for digging themselves out and being successful at it.

04/06, 4:52 PM posted by:JakeK66
I just want to be the one who mentioned this - Who honestly thought Ford would be the one looking the best through these dark times? A couple of years ago, I could have swore Ford would be filing for bankrupcy and GM would be the one looking like a success. This just shows you good product (see Malibu/Camaro/G8/CTS) doesn?t count for everything.

04/06, 6:27 PM posted by:3 2 1 GO
Good product is important, and after ignoring the car side of things for years, Ford is paying attention and making some nice improvements.
GM likewise has some good product, but many of them are unknown to people. I challenge you to ask the average person what they think of Saturn. Yet how much money?s been spent ?turning Saturn around??! It?s just an example, but a telling one.

04/06, 9:21 PM posted by:tyler_is_aero_tt
Ford is no doubt the best out of the Big Three. GM still needs improvement on their quality and safety, Chrysler just needs to flat out go bankrupt.

04/06, 9:30 PM posted by:jdasch1
When you look at the publics outrage about ?bailout nation?, one should realize what Ford did, or did not, take any of the taxpayers money to survive,was brilliant and rare. Not only did GM and Chrysler take government money, but Toyota and Honda as well as several European makers took their government?s money. That complete message needs to spread. Ford has negotiated and risked itself in preperation for this economy that is set to consume only 10 million new vehicles this year. The good thing is that the scrap rate is at about 12 million vehicles so pent up demand is building and Ford will benefit from not taking money and surviving?what a story if they can pull it off.

04/07, 12:31 AM posted by:cocojoe53
3 weeks ago I invested in Ford. It was brilliant in its decision not to take bailout money. Alan Mulally is a very savy leader. With the new Mustang and Fusion now arriving at dealerships they are poised to take there rightfull place in leading the American Auto industry.

04/07, 9:19 AM posted by:snork
This is good news indeed. At least Ford is on their game. We?ll be shopping for a new car some time next year and as it stands right now, Ford is the only domestic brand I would consider simply because I have the most faith they?ll still be around for the amount of time that I will own the car.
So many stairs...so little time...

FoMoJo

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 31, 2009, 09:54:08 AM
Exactly.  I don't see what the problem Cougs has with the current state of the UAW since their all-in wages are on par with Toyota and Honda now.
...not to mention that their vehicles are on a par and better with Toyota and Honda :ohyeah:.

It's worth mentioning (to some) that the President and his press secretary both own Escape Hybrids. :praise:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on April 02, 2009, 10:00:40 AM

The technology is brilliant, but at this time GM needs something that will sell in droves........
I agree that the Volt (plug in hybrid) is a good vehicle for the times.  Once the battery gets sorted out, it could be a realistic alternative to existing parallel, series and mild hybrids.  However, other manufacturers may beat GM to the market.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

the Teuton

The founder of Tesla thinks the Volt is overpriced and doing everything wrong.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 07, 2009, 10:26:58 AM
...not to mention that their vehicles are on a par and better with Toyota and Honda :ohyeah:.

It's worth mentioning (to some) that the President and his press secretary both own Escape Hybrids. :praise:

I know BO bought it for purely political reasons, he had a 300C beforehand but decided it looked bad to have such a gas guzzler (though it really isn't all that bad for a fullsize V8 sedan).

r0tor

Quote from: the Teuton on April 07, 2009, 11:28:02 AM
The founder of Tesla thinks the Volt is overpriced and doing everything wrong.

He should talk... judging by the latest Car and Driver review of the roadster, it lost its 2nd gear and gained about $30k+ since I last looked at it.... and since i'm on the subject of Tesla, if you have a 1 speed tranny then having a speedo and a tach is pointless  ;)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

hotrodalex

Quote from: r0tor on April 07, 2009, 12:39:12 PM
He should talk... judging by the latest Car and Driver review of the roadster, it lost its 2nd gear and gained about $30k+ since I last looked at it.... and since i'm on the subject of Tesla, if you have a 1 speed tranny then having a speedo and a tach is pointless  ;)

Still need to know how fast your going.  ;)

r0tor

i was merely pointing out in this application, they are the same thing with different numbers on the faceplate....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Nethead

From www.leftlaane.news:

GM, Chrysler blocked from Energy Department loans; Ford seeking $11 billion

General Motors and Chrysler have been blocked from receiving a share of the $25 billion loan program set up by the Department of Energy to provide a low-interest loans for alternative energy vehicle development. Meanwhile, Ford is said to be seeking $11 billion from the program. Under the legislation that authorized the program, only ?financially viable? companies may receive loans.

Interestingly, the $25 billion was set aside long before GM or Chrysler went to the U.S. government to be rescued. In fact, the program predates the financial collapse of late 2008, and was actually established much earlier in the recession.

Because Ford has not received any ?bailout? money from the U.S. government, it can be considered ?financially viable? under the rules. Other companies vying for a piece of the pie include battery maker A123 Systems, which is seeking $1.84 billion, and Tesla Motors, which is looking for $250 million.

Funds are expected to be dispersed in the next few weeks. Last week, President Barack Obama gave Chrysler 30 days to merge with Fiat, and GM 60 days to restructure or enter bankruptcy. If the two automakers ?miss the boat? on the DEO loans, so to speak, it?s not known if they will get a second chance. For example, a portion of the money could be set aside until the companies? ultimate fates are decided, but that?s purely speculation. GM is hoping to get $10.3 billion, while Chrysler wants $6 billion. A total of $44.6 billion in requests have been submitted by various companies.

?They can?t give us the loans until all other issues are worked out,? GM spokesman Kerry Christopher told the Detroit Free Press. She noted the DOE was working closely with the Treasury on the loan decisions.

Nethead

From www.leftlanenews.com:

Ford sees sales spike in Europe?s two largest markets thanks to scrappage incentives

Ford?s sales continue to slip here in the United States and Europe as a whole, but scrappage incentives appear to be helping the Blue Oval in Europe?s two largest markets. Ford?s sales were up big in Germany and Italy ? Europe?s number one and two auto markets, respectively ? but continued to decline in other major markets, such as the UK.

In Germany ? where incentives are in place to replace older vehicles with newer, more fuel efficient models ? Ford sales were up 39.6 percent in March, totaling 28,300 units, according to Automotive News. Ford?s most fuel efficient cars saw the strongest sales growth in German, with the economical Fiesta posting its best sales month since 1998. In Italy, where scrapping incentives are also in place, Ford enjoyed a 21.7 percent March sales boost, up to 23,800 vehicles.

However, in Great Britain, where no scrapping laws are in place, Ford saw its sales sag more than 26 percent to just 62,300 March sales. As a whole, Ford?s March sales in Europe were down 16.3 percent.

While it?s hard to determine if scrappage incentives alone were responsible for the sales spike, it would seem that they at least helped Ford?s March sales. The U.S. is considering scrappage programs similar to those in place in Germany and Italy, so it will be interesting to see if those results sway a few minds on Capitol Hill.

FoMoJo

They announced on CNBC that Mulally said Ford will increase 2nd quarter production by 25%.

Anyone hear anything about this?

Byteme

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 24, 2009, 05:50:56 AM
They announced on CNBC that Mulally said Ford will increase 2nd quarter production by 25%.

Didn't hear that, but I did see today that Ford has dramatically cut it's debt, bettered cash burn, cut losses to way below estiamtes, and stock is up 20% (to over $5 a share) in pre market trading.

Nethead

From www.bloggingstocks.com comes this article that supports FoMoJo's posting upstream in this thread:

Ford is driving a positive message
Posted Apr 24th 2009 9:00 AM by Sheldon Liber

If less bad news is good news than Ford Motors Co. (NYSE: F) delivered that today. Early this morning, Ford's earnings report revealed better than expected numbers, albeit another loss. Ford lost $1.4 billion in the first quarter, but it burned through less money.

Analysts expected a loss of $1.23 per share, and were positively surprised when the Detroit automaker said it lost, excluding special items such as gains from the company's debt restructuring, 75 cents per share.

The stock closed yesterday at $4.28 but is moving up over 20%, getting a jump on the market in early trading.

This should lend support to the market bulls who believe (or hope and pray) we are starting to form a bottom and may have actually reached that bottom on March 9. I'm one of those bulls: Nostradamus was a punk! Have we reached bottom?

In presenting its Q1 report, Ford continues to maintain that it has the cash to make it through this historic recession and will not need assistance from the government. That may be so, but it will need help from consumers, and that does not look to be coming with any great vigor given that unemployment is still rising and families may have more immediate needs than a new car.

Still, the market is likely to have a good day, and unless the bank stress testing sours the mood, Ford's message should set the tone.

Sheldon Liber is the CEO of a small private investment company and the principal for design and research at an architecture & planning firm. He writes the columns Chasing Value and Serious Money. Disclosure: I do not own shares of Ford but have sold naked puts.

Nethead

From www.autoblog.com:

REPORT: Wall Street rallies around better-than-expected Ford results
by Chris Paukert on Apr 24th, 2009 at 12:57PM

On the surface, at least, news that a company lost $1.4 billion wouldn't normally be greeted as good news by Wall Street (No shit.). However, the Ford Motor company's just-published quarterly earning reports have done just that, with the stock trading 15% ahead of yesterday and the entire Dow Jones stock market perking up at the news. :confused:

Why the positive reaction? The Blue Oval has fared markedly better than most analysts' estimates, and the size of the loss indicates that Ford is at least stemming its hemorrhaging. In further news that perked up trading, Lewis Booth, Ford's CFO reiterated that Ford expects to make it through the rest of the year without seeking any government monies :clap:, and the company notes that it expects to actually exceed the $4 billion cost-cutting goals it set for itself this year.

Of course, all is not rosy (Ditto no shit.), although things are better than expected. For the first three months this year, Ford's sales dropped 43%, with accompanying revenue of $24.8 billion ? a drop of almost 37 percent year-over-year versus 2008's $39.2 billion intake.

Perhaps the best news of all? Dearborn officials reinforced that the company is looking good to break even in 2011, noting that it could even post a profit before taxes (We hope so--nevertheless, we'll believe it when we see it).

MX793

I'm so glad I picked up a bunch of Ford shares a few weeks ago when it was under 3.  Pity I didn't pull the trigger earlier when it was under 2.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on April 24, 2009, 12:04:21 PM
I'm so glad I picked up a bunch of Ford shares a few weeks ago when it was under 3.  Pity I didn't pull the trigger earlier when it was under 2.
I'm kicking myself.  I was going to sink about $1000 into Ford shares 6 weeks ago when it was $1.23 a share.

r0tor

my ford stock is up 200% right now...

MrH

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 24, 2009, 07:41:09 PM
I'm kicking myself.  I was going to sink about $1000 into Ford shares 6 weeks ago when it was $1.23 a share.

I was going to also...

FUCK.  I had about $1,600 just itching to be dumped into Ford, but was talked out of it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

the Teuton

Would it be too late to start investing in Ford?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

r0tor

Quote from: the Teuton on April 26, 2009, 12:40:22 PM
Would it be too late to start investing in Ford?

its bound to go down sooner or later when the reality sets in they are still f'd

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on April 26, 2009, 04:20:05 PM
its bound to go down sooner or later when the reality sets in they are still f'd

Yup.

And never buy after it's already starting to climb like mad. It's only got to go back down..
Will

dazzleman

What happens to Ford if GM and Chrysler are able to ditch their burdensome UAW contracts but Ford isn't?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Nethead

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 24, 2009, 05:50:56 AM

FoMoJo:  Some article somewhere said Ford's production increase might be nineteen percent. 

'Still think it's too early to increase production of any model that still has four or more units on dealership lots.  Over-producing is the single biggest automobile manufacturing mistake, just ahead of over-proliferation of models.  It's time to use some brains and let demand get ahead of supply--and keep it that way! 

It will be interesting to see if Government Motors's plan to shutter the bulk of their factories for nine weeks will deplete their dealership stocks enough to justify re-opening them afterwards.  I'm a-thinkin' nine weeks may not be long enough--maybe not nearly long enough since no one really knows when the customers will start buying again.  And what the customers will be buying will likely have undergone a sea change.  I'm thinkin' small vehicles with Asian brand names...Ford don't want to be crankin' out hundreds of vehicles weekly if that's the case!

Vinsanity

Quote from: dazzleman on April 27, 2009, 05:53:19 AM
What happens to Ford if GM and Chrysler are able to ditch their burdensome UAW contracts but Ford isn't?

Ideally, it means that Ford has a better bargaining chip when it comes time to renegotiate the contracts. Worst case scenario is that they drag Ford into the same position as GM and Chrysler.

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on April 27, 2009, 05:53:19 AM
I'm wondering what the perception/reality of GM being owned by the government and Chrysler being owned by the UAW will have on the car-buying public.

dazzleman

I wouldn't buy a car from a company owned the government or the UAW.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

FoMoJo

Quote from: Nethead on April 27, 2009, 09:20:06 AM
FoMoJo:  Some article somewhere said Ford's production increase might be nineteen percent. 

'Still think it's too early to increase production of any model that still has four or more units on dealership lots.  Over-producing is the single biggest automobile manufacturing mistake, just ahead of over-proliferation of models.  It's time to use some brains and let demand get ahead of supply--and keep it that way! 

It will be interesting to see if Government Motors's plan to shutter the bulk of their factories for nine weeks will deplete their dealership stocks enough to justify re-opening them afterwards.  I'm a-thinkin' nine weeks may not be long enough--maybe not nearly long enough since no one really knows when the customers will start buying again.  And what the customers will be buying will likely have undergone a sea change.  I'm thinkin' small vehicles with Asian brand names...Ford don't want to be crankin' out hundreds of vehicles weekly if that's the case!

This is about all I could find on it...Ford to increase production as it slows the losses, money burn.

excerpt...Mulally also confirmed the company was increasing production during the second quarter both in North America and in Europe. The company's inventories have dropped dramatically, and it appears there is an opportunity for growth in sales since the company?s market share has increased

With the lower inventories, as well as the new models appearing for the 2nd quarter, some increase should be expected.  I guess how much depends on whether the public is ready to buy yet.

Nethead

From www.leftlanenews.com, something for Fusion fans to get their strokes:

Ford Fusion Hybrid travels 1,445 miles on a single tank, averages 81.5 mpg
04/28/2009, 5:10 PM By Drew Johnson

Going strictly by the Environmental Protection Agency?s fuel economy figures, the Ford Fusion Hybrid is the most fuel-efficient mid-size sedan on the market, but Ford today proved it is also one of the most efficient vehicles on the road today, regardless of class.

A team of Ford engineers and fuel mileage experts ? with a special cameo appearance by NASCAR driver Carl Edwards ? set out on April 25th to cover 1,000 miles on a single tank of gas in a showroom-stock Ford Fusion Hybrid, but wound up exceeding all expectations. When the Ford Fusion Hybrid finally rolled to a stop at 5:47am on Tuesday morning, the team had covered an astonishing 1,445.7 miles, netting an average of 81.5 mpg. :clap:
Not only is the mark of 1,445 miles on a single tank more than double the Fusion Hybrid?s claimed range of 700 miles, but is also the new record for a gasoline-powered, mid-size sedan. :cheers:

Ford openly admits extreme driving techniques were used to achieve the record economy, but the results go a long way in proving the adage ?it?s not what you drive but how you drive?. ?Not only does this demonstrate the Fusion Hybrid?s fuel efficiency, it also shows that driving technique is one of the keys to maximizing its potential,? said Nancy Gioia, director, Ford Sustainable Mobility Technologies and Hybrid Vehicle Programs. One of the Fusion Hybrid?s key traits is its SmartGauge with EcoGuide, which helps the driver drive more efficiently.

Adding some icing to the cake, Ford?s 1,000 mile challenge also raised $8,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.