An enthusiast's dilemma

Started by the Teuton, April 02, 2009, 04:53:34 PM

TBR

Quote from: L. ed foote on April 03, 2009, 09:43:51 AM
Regardless, a car can still be built using parts on the cheap.  Just have to be creative about it.  Nothing wrong with hitting up the local pick and pull for parts for a swap.  Looking at something like the VW Vortex, there are a ton of parts and cars and parts cars that can be had on the cheap.

Certainly, but just because it can be done doesn't mean that there aren't better things for students to spend their time and their money on. Just because Chris wanted to put his resources into cars doesn't mean that it's a good option for most people.

L. ed foote

Quote from: TBR on April 03, 2009, 09:42:58 AM
I have friends back home who sink every dollar they make into modifying their vehicles, but then when something on that vehicle breaks they don't have money saved to repair it and then can't get to their job.

Yep, that's why I say your project car shouldn't be your daily driver.  Don't get me wrong, it can be done, but I prefer not to.
Member, Self Preservation Society

L. ed foote

Quote from: TBR on April 03, 2009, 09:45:36 AM
Certainly, but just because it can be done doesn't mean that there aren't better things for students to spend their time and their money on. Just because Chris wanted to put his resources into cars doesn't mean that it's a good option for most people.

As always it depends on the person.  When I was in school, I was into cars, beer and skirts.  One of my roommates was a bodybuilder, the other was into skiing/snowboarding, the other was into videogames.

Whatever floats your boat.
Member, Self Preservation Society

Raza

Sell the parts, sell the car, start over.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.