Is downshifting in an automatic bad for the transmission?

Started by BENZ BOY15, April 03, 2009, 06:43:28 PM

Rupert

It can...

Didn't you say it was dependent on the ECU programming? So, it might turn off and it might not, yes?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BENZ BOY15

It is dependent on the ECU programming. It does turn off and on, but sometimes it's somewhere in between.
:rastaman:

Tave

We've had this discussion a million times before whenever someone asks, "Is it better to leave the car in gear while coasting to a stop or put it in neutral?"

The general consensus: a modern engine will stop sending fuel to the cylinders off-throttle, so downshifting isn't going to give you any mpg benefits.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

Quote from: TBR on April 06, 2009, 03:39:31 PM
I have always heard that the injectors turn off when you're engine breaking. At the very least, it is probably using even less fuel than it would when idling.

If it does, why would you need to downshift to experience the benefit? How does coasting in 3rd using no gas trump coasting in 4th using no gas?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.