Opinion: why shouldn't I buy this truck.

Started by Payman, April 08, 2009, 07:24:19 AM

SVT_Power

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 12, 2009, 05:22:59 PM
I didn't know his engine asploded.

His engine asploded like us but the difference is he didn't get a new engine  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

Quote from: M_power on April 14, 2009, 09:13:11 AM
His engine asploded like us but the difference is he didn't get a new engine  :lol:
My second engine asploded too, so I'm the President of the club.

sportyaccordy

You can get an E36 M3 for the same money. Same cabin capacity and it's RWD so it can tow.

the Teuton

Do I count?  My engine asploded 15,000 miles and one year into ownership of my car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

rohan

Quote from: bing_oh on April 08, 2009, 09:56:09 AM
It still smells like beer and puke? :huh:

Yea, the only possible issue would be the tranny. 2001's gotta be right about the time that Dodge reengineered their transmissions to eliminate the problems they were experiencing, but it's definitely something you should check in to.
I had a 1998 Ram with the 360 engine that had problems with the tranny.  Dealership put in 3.92 gears and never had trouble again- told me the stock 3.55 were just not good enough.  Got better mileage as well and it drove much better overall.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BENZ BOY15

Your neighbor sounds like a real winner.

What's the BAC limit where you live?

bing_oh

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on April 20, 2009, 12:14:41 AM
Your neighbor sounds like a real winner.

What's the BAC limit where you live?

The BAC limit pretty much everywhere is .08. The feds made it clear several years ago that they wanted .08 to be the national BAC limit and that any state that decided not to voluntarily comply would lose federal highway cash. The states fell in line pretty quickly.

SVT666

Quote from: rohan on April 19, 2009, 10:21:50 AM
I had a 1998 Ram with the 360 engine that had problems with the tranny.  Dealership put in 3.92 gears and never had trouble again- told me the stock 3.55 were just not good enough.  Got better mileage as well and it drove much better overall.
Your fuel mileage should have gotten worse with that gearing.

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 21, 2009, 08:54:36 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that maybe 3.55:1 maybe had him running in the stall range of the converter more often...

SVT_Power

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 14, 2009, 09:29:07 AM
My second engine asploded too, so I'm the President of the club.

wait your second engine asploded as well? I don't remember this
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

the Teuton

Quote from: M_power on April 21, 2009, 11:52:01 PM

It did.  We laughed at him.  And then cried a little.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hounddog

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 21, 2009, 08:54:36 AM
Well, not according to the laws of physics where that would only really apply to higher revolutions, aka highway speeds. 

At low speed, city speed and even country driving at roughly 55 or less the usable torque would be automatically enhanced.  This would likely result in having to accelerate with less actual torque, and therefore less actual fuel. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on April 26, 2009, 09:53:33 PM
Well, not according to the laws of physics where that would only really apply to higher revolutions, aka highway speeds. 

At low speed, city speed and even country driving at roughly 55 or less the usable torque would be automatically enhanced.  This would likely result in having to accelerate with less actual torque, and therefore less actual fuel. 
While cruising it will get worse mileage.  Your engine is turning a higher rpm for the same speed.  If it's city driving with a lot of stop and go traffic, then yes, I agree with you.  Highway driving would get you worse mileage.

SVT666

Quote from: M_power on April 21, 2009, 11:52:01 PM
It's why I bought the SVT Focus.

hounddog

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 27, 2009, 08:38:49 AM
While cruising it will get worse mileage.  Your engine is turning a higher rpm for the same speed.  If it's city driving with a lot of stop and go traffic, then yes, I agree with you.  Highway driving would get you worse mileage.
I am not sure what your point is here, since you are pretty much agreeing with everything I said.

You would have to define "cruising" to make your "argument" stick.  As long as the RPM range remains low, mileage should increase.  Once you hit higher speeds, aka higher RPMs, your mileage would decrease.

It really is nothing more than simple math and simple physics on the most elementary level.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

S204STi

Quote from: rohan on April 19, 2009, 10:21:50 AM

Sounds like the original gearing was too tall for the car, putting more stress on the transmission.

Rupert

Quote from: hounddog on April 29, 2009, 09:43:08 PM
I am not sure what your point is here, since you are pretty much agreeing with everything I said.

You would have to define "cruising" to make your "argument" stick.  As long as the RPM range remains low, mileage should increase.  Once you hit higher speeds, aka higher RPMs, your mileage would decrease.

It really is nothing more than simple math and simple physics on the most elementary level.

Man, you're even a dick when someone agrees with you. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

hounddog

Quote from: R-inge on April 30, 2009, 10:08:36 AM
Sounds like the original gearing was too tall for the car, putting more stress on the transmission.
It was, and as far as I know still is standard gearing for Dodge half ton and other light trucks.   It is in no way proper gearing, and does nothing for gas mileage either as the numbers would have you believe.  It is too low to properly utilize torque for a truck.  GM and Ford both use 3.76 as far as I know. 

Quote from: Psilos on April 30, 2009, 01:09:18 PM
Man, you're even a dick when someone agrees with you. ;)
Yet another quality post, which serves to add nothing towards any intelligent discussion.  Glad to see you are working to keep your streak alive. 

To qualify my post for the intellectually impaired;
My statement and request for him to define "cruising" was so that I might further understand his position with regards to his "argument."  Notice the quotation marks around the word argument, indication that I did not believe it was truly an argument.

By the way, stalking is yet another symptom of mental illness.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

MrH

Quote from: hounddog on April 29, 2009, 09:43:08 PM

Hate to rain on everyone's parade, but that's not necessarily true.  If the engine makes shit for power at a low RPM, and requires a lot more throttle input to maintain such a speed on a highway, slightly higher gearing might actually return better gas mileage because the engine is operating at such a more efficient RPM.

But in general, yeah, you're right.   :lol: :tounge:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18337.msg1052864#msg1052864 date=1241198779
So, did you buy the truck or what?
Read the damn thread.  Particularly the end of Page 1.

Raza

Oh, isn't that nice!  Congratulations.  It should go wonderfully with your classy pearlescent white Seville!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Quote from: hounddog on April 30, 2009, 06:54:42 PM
It was, and as far as I know still is standard gearing for Dodge half ton and other light trucks.   It is in no way proper gearing, and does nothing for gas mileage either as the numbers would have you believe.  It is too low to properly utilize torque for a truck.  GM and Ford both use 3.76 as far as I know. 
Yet another quality post, which serves to add nothing towards any intelligent discussion.  Glad to see you are working to keep your streak alive. 

To qualify my post for the intellectually impaired;
My statement and request for him to define "cruising" was so that I might further understand his position with regards to his "argument."  Notice the quotation marks around the word argument, indication that I did not believe it was truly an argument.

By the way, stalking is yet another symptom of mental illness.

HAhaha, you're a funny guy hounddog.

CALL_911

Nice truck.

And, uh, nice steering wheel and seat covers. :lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

omicron

Payman

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 10, 2009, 10:20:21 AM
Nice truck.

And, uh, nice steering wheel and seat covers. :lol:

Red truck... black interior. Some contrast is nice. And I like dragons.

dazzleman

That looks pretty badass Nick.  Those dragon seats really add some 'ambience' to the car.... :evildude:

Congratulations and good luck with that bad boy.  :rockon:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!