Bad things comes in 3s? Man what's next

Started by NomisR, April 17, 2009, 10:14:08 AM

NomisR

Well, on Weds, I lost my wallet.

This morning, on the way to work, putting along on the 405N in the #4 lane, the traffic stopped in front of me so I stopped.  A couple seconds later, this lady in a burgundy full sized SUV swerved around me and stopped pass me in the shoulder.  At the same time, I hear this loud brake screeching from tires and then boom, got hit.  Good thing I was driving the RSX.  So we immediately pulled to the shoulder and no traffic held up.  Called 911, waited about 30 mins before the cops showed up, of course, I saw at least 3 police cars passed by, nothing, until I called again and they said they were en route 15 mins ago.  :huh: 

Well, finally came.. but here the thing, I kept my insurance in my wallet.. and I couldn't find the copy on my car.   So when it comes time for the police report, here's me with the temporary license and no insurance, and he has to go ahead and write me a ticket for no proof of insurance.  Isn't that great?  My fault for not having it with me but way to beat a guy while he's down.   :clap:  Everything written up and I'm on my way. 

I can clear up the insurance thing so not a big deal, so what should I do now?  Call the other guy's insurance and file claim?  Call my insurance and file claim?  Or what?  What's the best way to go about it and I'd probably want to file depreciation of value too and what not since there's an accident...

Laconian

I was freaking out until I saw "Good thing I was driving the RSX"

Man, that's a shitty run of luck. Gawddddddd.

I think you are supposed to call your insurance company, they will hound the at-fault party's insurance company on your behalf.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Xer0

When I got into a fender bender a couple of years ago that wasn't my fault, I called the guys insurance company, faxed over the police report and answered some general questions they had, and they stopped by and appraised the damages to the car.  Like three days later I had a check in my hand from them and there was little, if any, interaction with my insurance.  I guess it depends on the company, but I had a great, no hassel experience and the mater was resolved in no time at all.

NomisR

So am I suppose to report it to my insurance company or not?  It's not my fault so I don't really care, but should I?   Or should I just contact the other guy's insurance and claim them on it.

SVT_Power

i thought police report = automatic insurance involvement

or at least it's like that around here
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

CALL_911

Quote from: Laconian on April 17, 2009, 10:37:55 AM
I was freaking out until I saw "Good thing I was driving the RSX"

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who reacted that way. :lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hotrodalex

Quote from: M_power on April 17, 2009, 02:49:09 PM

He didn't have his insurance info.

NomisR

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 17, 2009, 05:05:01 PM
He didn't have his insurance info.

No I did, I called my insurance anyways and they will help me contact the other guy's insurance and now going through the other guy's insurance for claim.  Will only go back to mine if there's anything. 

NomisR

Well, good thing the vehicle that hit me was a 73 Ford pickup rather than a full size modern pickup.  If it was a modern car, the bumper would've hit my rear trunk deck and caused a lot more damage.  The bumper of the pickup directly impacted my rear bumper which minimized the visible damage.  I wouldn't mind a total loss though but a low damage would be better overall probably.

TBR

Good thing it wasn't the Elise, supposedly you have to replace that entire section of the shell regardless of how light the damage is.

SVT_Power

And responding to the thread title:

Do you really wanna know?  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

rohan

"Isn't that great?  My fault for not having it with me but way to beat a guy while he's down.   "

I handled an intermediate injury crash recently- totaled the guys brand new 2500 GMC- went to hospital for facial and chest injuries-- I wrote him a seat belt ticket along with the fail to stop in assured clear distance ahead ticket.   :praise:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

CALL_911

Quote from: rohan on April 19, 2009, 10:30:33 AM
"Isn't that great?  My fault for not having it with me but way to beat a guy while he's down.   "

I handled an intermediate injury crash recently- totaled the guys brand new 2500 GMC- went to hospital for facial and chest injuries-- I wrote him a seat belt ticket along with the fail to stop in assured clear distance ahead ticket.   :praise:

He wasn't wearing a belt, I'd probably write him that ticket too. I don't know enough about the crime or the law to know about the "assured clear distance ahead ticket."

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TurboDan

Quote from: NomisR on April 17, 2009, 11:56:06 AM
So am I suppose to report it to my insurance company or not?  It's not my fault so I don't really care, but should I?   Or should I just contact the other guy's insurance and claim them on it.

I got rear-ended at a slow speed by a 17 year old kid driving an Explorer a couple years ago while I was waiting at a red light (yeah, he was an idiot!). I never submitted anything to my insurance company, but I believe whenever someone else's insurance company pays for something, they send a statement to your insurance company.

I know they were notified because when I switched insurance carriers for my boat's insurance, the agent asked me to "describe my accident," which I honestly had completely forgotten about. Obviously there were no price penalties against me - car or boat-wise - but there was a record of an incident happening.

TurboDan

Quote from: M_power on April 17, 2009, 02:49:09 PM

Nope, it's only if you claim it in NJ. Many times, people who know they're at fault will just pay for the repairs in cash to keep insurance companies out of it.

Rich

I really can't comprehend the idea of no fault insurance.  It's the dumbest thing ever.  "No-fault insurance has the goal of lowering premium costs by avoiding expensive litigation over the causes of accidents, while providing quick payments for injuries."  Yet, look at the states below, I know insurance rates in Michigan, NY, and NJ are the highest in the US.

States/Provinces with No-fault Laws
Pure no-fault
Quebec
Manitoba

Qualitative threshold
Ontario
Florida
Michigan
New Jersey
New York
Pennsylvania
California

Fuckers
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 17, 2009, 03:23:31 PM
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who reacted that way. :lol:

I pictured shattered plastic and a Toyota engine laying on the ground.  I was horrified.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hounddog

Quote from: HotRodPilot on April 20, 2009, 08:07:51 PM
I really can't comprehend the idea of no fault insurance.  It's the dumbest thing ever.  "No-fault insurance has the goal of lowering premium costs by avoiding expensive litigation over the causes of accidents, while providing quick payments for injuries."  Yet, look at the states below, I know insurance rates in Michigan, NY, and NJ are the highest in the US.

States/Provinces with No-fault Laws
Pure no-fault
Quebec
Manitoba

Qualitative threshold
Ontario
Florida
Michigan
New Jersey
New York
Pennsylvania
California

Fuckers

Excellent points.  This was lobbied for by the insurance companies, and all it has managed to do is raise our rates to sacraligous levels.  Now, it has been in place for so long no one knows how to undo it. 

Believe me, drivers in Michigan are to this day hopping mad. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

NomisR

Well, the car's finally back.. It's so much better driving my own car than a shitty rental.  Not really fond of a Nissan Sentra..  The car's clean and they even detailed the interior.  :ohyeah:

NomisR

Well, this shit just pisses me off.  That ticket I got for not having a proof of insurance?  Well, I went to court today to present my proof of insurance which is just a simple correction and can be done by the clerk, well guess what?  I have to make a fucking court appearance now.  Apparently, the fucking CHP checked the wrong box which means I can't do a simple correction and I now have to show up to court 4 months from now and waste half of my day just to fix something that he shouldn't have given me a ticket for.  And if I don't fucking show up, I pay $400+ .. isn't this fucking great?!   

If this had happened in the public sector, I would be getting a letter of apology from the company that made the mistake and even something to make up for my troubles.  But you know what?  Since this is the government, not a fucking thing... unless you guys have any ideas on what I can do...

Eye of the Tiger

Great. You got rear-ended and got a ticket.
I got pulled over the other day for an expired inspection sticker, also lost my wallet and had no license or insurance, and just got a verbal warning.  :lol:
It was still a horrible day for me, though.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

NomisR

Quote from: NACar on May 27, 2009, 12:47:22 PM
Great. You got rear-ended and got a ticket.
I got pulled over the other day for an expired inspection sticker, also lost my wallet and had no license or insurance, and just got a verbal warning.  :lol:
It was still a horrible day for me, though.

You got off easy...

They're holding down the minorities I tell ya!   :rage:

:lol:

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

dazzleman

That definitely makes you a minority...

NomisR

Well, shit.. a little more than a month after getting my car back, I got rear ended again.  Another minor fender bender with only bumper damage but this shit is starting to suck.  Maybe it's a sign for me to get something else.

People seem to like running into me when I'm just stopped.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on July 21, 2009, 03:23:09 PM
Well, shit.. a little more than a month after getting my car back, I got rear ended again.  Another minor fender bender with only bumper damage but this shit is starting to suck.  Maybe it's a sign for me to get something else.

People seem to like running into me when I'm just stopped.

I've been rear ended twice, and those are the only collisions I've ever had. Most people are just idiots that shouldn't have licenses.  This is no reason to get something else - that is a bad idea. No, you need to take action. Get a 10-foot long meta fence post and strap it to your roof so it sticks out the back. Weld a bunch of spikes to the end and paint it safety orange. This should decrease the chance of getting rear ended by at least 43%, however, in likelihood that it happens again anyway, they'll just a face full of metal spikes. That way, they won't be rear ending anyone else ever again. You'll make the roads that much safer.