SVT Raptor Pricing Announced

Started by sandertheshark, April 19, 2009, 12:50:52 PM

the Teuton

I drove the company worktruck, a V6 Dodge Dakota 5-speed, at the BMW dealership. It was neither precise nor sporting. It was kinda fun in a thrash 'em farm truck kind of way, though.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

r0tor

why in the world would anyone have to work a clutch off-roading... the clutch would be toast in minutes
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Tave

Quote from: r0tor on April 20, 2009, 08:15:57 AM
why in the world would anyone have to work a clutch off-roading... the clutch would be toast in minutes

:confused: It would?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

r0tor

any sort of rock crawling, or going up steep inclines, or any time you have to inch your way past an obsticle would indeed hose you pretty quickly... think about it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Quote from: r0tor on April 20, 2009, 08:43:08 AM
any sort of rock crawling, or going up steep inclines, or any time you have to inch your way past an obsticle would indeed hose you pretty quickly... think about it

Sure, if you're clutch is out of a 2cyl economy car.

Torque converters are doing the same thing and are not falling apart.

Tave

Quote from: r0tor on April 20, 2009, 08:43:08 AM

Mine held up fine. I don't do the real crazy stuff, but I beat it up well enough. :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on April 20, 2009, 08:45:25 AM

Automatics are different.  You don't have a friction plate rubbing up against the gearset in an automatic quite the way you do in a stick car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

r0tor

Quote from: 2o6 on April 20, 2009, 08:45:25 AM

heavy duty auto trannies also have an oil cooler...

If your stopped on the side of a steep incline trying to go over an obstacle, would you rather be working the gas and brake, or gas/brake/clutch while worrying about stalling and/or drifting backwards??

SVT666

The one and only advantage a manula has in offroading is rocking the truck to get unstuck, otherwise an automatic is the way to go offroad.

GoCougs

Quote from: the Teuton on April 20, 2009, 08:50:36 AM
Automatics are different.  You don't have a friction plate rubbing up against the gearset in an automatic quite the way you do in a stick car.

But an A/T does employ clutches and bands (i.e., wear items) to shift gears, and has a fluid pump, cooler, valve body, and some other stuff that renders it extremely susceptible to heat.

In general, the hardcore off-roaders I've known generally prefer M/T (as do I - and I've had both). They are profound simpler (= more reliable and robust), not susceptible to heat, and offer infinite control over gear selection (= important when in 4Lo).

A/Ts are the "choice" because the vast majority of trucks and SUVs originally came with A/T from the factory.

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on April 20, 2009, 08:59:17 AM
heavy duty auto trannies also have an oil cooler...

If your stopped on the side of a steep incline trying to go over an obstacle, would you rather be working the gas and brake, or gas/brake/clutch while worrying about stalling and/or drifting backwards??

Well that's easy enough; set the parking brake and get into the friction zone till you're about to stall, then release the brake.

While you learn the method it is abusive of the clutch, but after a while it's no big deal.

Tave

Bah. Once you're familiar with your clutch you don't even need that.

And why would you stop on a steep incline to negotiate a rock/obstacle? You would just slow down as you approach it.

You might ride the clutch a little at that point, but an auto would too.

r0tor

christ... i smelled my clutch in my car just trying to ease it up a pair of ramps

Tave

GoCougs

Once competent with a clutch off road burning it out isn't a concern - it probably won't last 150k miles like that in a sedate, street-driven compact, but they can be plenty robust when not abused.

omicron

Oh for goodness sake. No wonder we all laugh at you. ;)

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

S204STi

Quote from: Tave on April 20, 2009, 09:56:25 AM
Bah. Once you're familiar with your clutch you don't even need that.

And why would you stop on a steep incline to negotiate a rock/obstacle? You would just slow down as you approach it.

You might ride the clutch a little at that point, but an auto would too.

Well, and the nice thing about low range at that point is that you can often idle along in gear, depending on the engine and gearing.

SVT32V

Quote from: R-inge on April 20, 2009, 10:50:14 AM
Well, and the nice thing about low range at that point is that you can often idle along in gear, depending on the engine and gearing.

Many hardcore rockcrawlers use the starter only in really tight situations to move the over an obstacle very carefully, of course this is only possible with a manual.

r0tor

...being able to bump the starter with a manual tranny in gear also makes it not DOT legal...

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on April 20, 2009, 01:21:27 PM
...being able to bump the starter with a manual tranny in gear also makes it not DOT legal...

Not true - Toyota Tacoma has a "clutch start cancel" dashboard button thereby allowing starting the engine without depressing the clutch, which is to say that you can also bump the starter with the M/T in gear (did it lots of times myself).

Tave

Yeah my 4Runner had a safety cancel too.

I used it when I went skiing to start the car and warm it while I took off my boots/gear.

Xer0

When I went to the Dominican Republic this past year, we went on a Jeep safari tour around the sugar plantations and then up the mountains to the coffee farms.  The Wranglers were completely stripped out 4 cylinder 5-spd manuals that they had us drive around and the tour was pretty involved, especially when we were going up the mountains; steep inclines, completely uneven ground, and rocks galore along a pretty narrow path, but there was no problem with the engine/tranny combo.  I'm sure it would have been easier with an auto, especially for me since I'm not that great with a stick, but damn was it fun.

sandertheshark

Quote from: omicron on April 20, 2009, 10:34:30 AM

Oh for goodness sake. No wonder we all laugh at you. ;)

When it comes to things like this, I don't think we take our selves too seriously either.

Rupert

I prefer a stick, anyway, even if it is shitty, but I don't think I'd let an automatic get in the way of a good 4x4, especially if it had a big engine.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: r0tor on April 20, 2009, 09:57:38 AM
christ... i smelled my clutch in my car just trying to ease it up a pair of ramps

It's different off road. Low gearing helps.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: r0tor on April 20, 2009, 01:21:27 PM

My MG, and I think my old Volvo, could do that.

Of course, they are/were both 30 + years old. :lol:

Tave

Quote from: Psilos on April 20, 2009, 10:26:59 PM
I prefer a stick, anyway, even if it is shitty, but I don't think I'd let an automatic get in the way of a good 4x4, especially if it had a big engine.

My friend had this Ram 2500 with the 8.0L V10 and a 6 spd. It was simply ridiculous. The rear broke loose any time it even smelled dirt. I think an auto in that beast may have been a bit more useable.

S204STi

Quote from: Psilos on April 20, 2009, 10:41:07 PM
My MG, and I think my old Volvo, could do that.

Of course, they are/were both 30 + years old. :lol:

We had a guy pinned between a car and a workbench here because one of our lube techs didn't know that older cars could do that.  He started it in gear and it lurched forward, injuring the other man.  His hips are FUBAR to this day.

TBR

Quote from: R-inge on April 21, 2009, 07:52:00 AM
We had a guy pinned between a car and a workbench here because one of our lube techs didn't know that older cars could do that.  He started it in gear and it lurched forward, injuring the other man.  His hips are FUBAR to this day.

I accidentally did that with the '86 CRX I had as a loaner last time I took my car to the mechanic (well I didn't injure anyone, in fact I don't think anyone saw it). If you're not used to it, it can really take you by surprise (I normally turn the key before I push in the clutch.