Driven: 2010 Fusion SEL V6

Started by SVT666, April 22, 2009, 02:16:09 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 23, 2009, 11:21:29 AM
They're engineered to be exactly what the average consumer wants them to be.

Accord, Altima, Camry, Malibu, Fusion? Average weight of 3,400 lbs, 0-60 times in the 6 sec range (for V6 models), and a $25k base MSRP?

Tuets has his compass off balance. There's nothing under engineered about any of them.

Northlands

Bumpage

I've been eyeballing a "new" 2009 Fusion sitting on a couple of Ford lots here. I need something larger than the civic I'm in, but not by much. Ford seems to be handing out cars to people here with big discounts. The one I was looking at was an SEL AWD. It's just under 25k Canadian bucks. ( $6500 "delivery allowance discount ). They'd go even lower if I just buy the thing outright cash.

Anyone drive this model year's AWD? I test drove the non AWD. Not too exciting.. but I'm looking at the $$ here in this case. Also.. if so.. anyone drive the AWD in winter conditions?

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

the Teuton

Quote from: GoCougs on April 28, 2009, 09:40:10 PM
Accord, Altima, Camry, Malibu, Fusion? Average weight of 3,400 lbs, 0-60 times in the 6 sec range (for V6 models), and a $25k base MSRP?

Tuets has his compass off balance. There's nothing under engineered about any of them.

After now having driven the Altima, Malibu, and Passat, I will agree with you.  They're all incredibly refined, pretty kick ass cars for the average family guy who wants some fun.

None of them are under-engineered.  I think they all weigh too much, and GM screwed the pooch with poor material choices on the interior, but they're all really nice cars for the most part.  Too big for my tastes, though.

That being said, until I drive a new Fusion, Accord, Camry, or new Mazda6 (it's a giant fugbox!), my favorite car in the class is the Altima right now.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Quote from: the Teuton on April 22, 2009, 06:04:21 PM
So why is it that Ford knows how to make a proper sedan again and the other 1.5 can't really keep up at the moment?  The Malibu is starting to look like an afterthought already.

Honestly every time I hear about a new domestic mainstreamer that's supposed to beat the Japanese strangle hold over the market, I just yawn.  Honestly that's what they said about all 3 recent generations of Malibu, what they said of the last Fusion, etc etc.  The domestics need to realize in order to beat the Japanese, they can't just make a car that's almost as good, or nearly as good, and sell it for around the same money.  They need to make a product that crushes the competition in value beyond a shadow of a doubt.  If the public has the choice between an established Accord or Camry or a Fusion that is nearly just as good, the Fusion will get left behind.

Honestly looking at the comparo reviews, this new Fusion that everyone's making a big deal about is just the same way.  It's always, "it's almost as good as the Japanese benchmark."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/sedans/2010_ford_fusion_vs_mazda_6_honda_accord_comparison_test

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0907_ford_fusion_honda_accord_comparison/index.html

Once again it's the same story.  Wow it *almost* beats the Accord, but it ultimately doesn't get the 1st place ribbon. The only time I've seen a Fusion win, was the hybrid version.  So it's the same old story.  Close but no cigar.  The Camcord reign will no doubt continue, and the Fusion's hype will fade in a couple years just like that of the new Malibu, and the last Fusion.

the Teuton

Very well put.

After getting to tinker with the Malibu, I'd say that the car isn't significantly worse.  It isn't.  It's a really good car in most respects.

It loses in the details.  There are exposed screws, rough cut plastics, and cheaper materials in places where there shouldn't be (e.g. the places you touch normally). 

The car is a very solid piece.  It's quiet, refined, and fun.  But the details just ruin it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

I prefer the Fusion to the Accord even without considering cost, but I certainly agree with your general point -- it's not the blow-me-away sort of car it would need to be to really win high numbers of conquests from the Japanese big three.

SVT666

I haven't driven the new Accord, but I have driven the current Camry, and the Fusion is head and shoulders better then any other mainstream sedan I've driven.  I think the AWD system is the same Haldex unit that's in our Freestyle, and it's seamless.

CALL_911

You should probably drive a Passat.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 19, 2009, 06:47:32 PM

Would you refuse to communicate with me further if I told you that while I think the Passat has the best interior of any midsize sedan I've driven, it's not my favorite?

Because it isn't.  I like the 6 and the Altima more.

But the Passat nips the CTS for interior quality.  It's really good, sans the creaking plastic on the door handles.

TBR

I just wish they would offer the regular Passat with the same trim levels they offer the CC in, I much prefer the regular sedan.

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on June 19, 2009, 07:15:48 PM
Would you refuse to communicate with me further if I told you that while I think the Passat has the best interior of any midsize sedan I've driven, it's not my favorite?

Because it isn't.  I like the 6 and the Altima more.

But the Passat nips the CTS for interior quality.  It's really good, sans the creaking plastic on the door handles.

Well, since I haven't driven anything in the segment except for the Camry (and maybe the Accord if you count the TL and TSX), I'd have to drive them to disagree. Mag racing, yeah, I don't think I'd agree.

Besides, I like the 2.0T more than almost any of the other engines in the class.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on June 19, 2009, 07:32:42 PM
I just wish they would offer the regular Passat with the same trim levels they offer the CC in, I much prefer the regular sedan.

What's the difference?

TBR

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on June 19, 2009, 07:36:20 PM
The regular Passat looks better imho.

I disagree.  Any difference with options packages?

Rant:  I just don't really like the steering feel at all in the Passat.  It's too heavy in parking lots and too light on the road.  The pedals are a little finicky, too.  Otherwise, it's like a vault.

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on June 19, 2009, 07:41:44 PM
I disagree.  Any difference with options packages?

Rant:  I just don't really like the steering feel at all in the Passat.  It's too heavy in parking lots and too light on the road.  The pedals are a little finicky, too.  Otherwise, it's like a vault.

The sedan doesn't have any. You can only get it with the 2.0T/6AT combo. It does come pretty well equipped, but I don't think I would buy a leatherette equipped vehicle.

the Teuton

Wait, cloth isn't available anymore?

Is that why none of the cars have cloth?  Things are suddenly a lot clearer.

I always liked VW cloth materials.

Eye of the Tiger

Cloth sucks. Leather or leatherette is the only way to go.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on June 19, 2009, 07:44:22 PM
Wait, cloth isn't available anymore?

Is that why none of the cars have cloth?  Things are suddenly a lot clearer.

I always liked VW cloth materials.

On older cars they used mouse fur.

The plaid cloth that the GTI uses is most excellent though. Probably the only car that I would take cloth in over leather.

the Teuton

The Bug has the same crap on its seats now, too!

the Teuton

At least VDub isn't trying to sell it as something it isn't like BMW.

SVT666

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 19, 2009, 06:47:32 PM
I've never driven it.  I'm not sure, but it's a lot smaller is it not?

CALL_911

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 19, 2009, 08:01:35 PM
I've never driven it.  I'm not sure, but it's a lot smaller is it not?

I wouldn't imagine so... :huh:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

The Passat is "normal" size by today's standards.  It's pretty big.

2o6

Quote from: TBR on June 19, 2009, 07:36:20 PM
The regular Passat looks better imho.

I agree. Also, the CC only seats four.

Quote from: the Teuton on June 19, 2009, 08:11:57 PM
The Passat is "normal" size by today's standards.  It's pretty big.

You say it like it's a bad thing.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 22, 2009, 02:16:09 PM
Today I drove the 2010 Fusion SEL V6 with 6 speed automatic.  I don't have a lot of time to write a detailed report, so I'm doing it in Pros and Cons.

Pros:

1. Steering Responsiveness
2. Steering Accuracy
3. Steering Feel
4. Power
5. Acceleration
6. Sporty handling
7. Cornering
8. Seats
9. Ride
10. NVH
11. Back seat space
12. Biggest trunk I've ever seen
13. Instrument pod is so cool it's......cool
14. Stereo
15. Switchgear
16. Driving position
17. Exterior Styling
18. Interior Styling
19. Interior materials
20. Manumatic shifting is quick
21. Grille is far less imposing in the metal then in pictures.

Cons:
1. Dash should be a one piece.
2. Ummmmmm...that's it.

Verdict:
This is far and away the best driving sedan from a mainstream manufacturer that I've ever driven.  It's better then the G8, Malibu, Accord, Camry, 300, Charger, last generation Mazda 6, and Altima.  I'm blown away.  I have read that it's good, but I didn't expect this good.

I finally got to drive the I4 SE today.

Here's my assessment:

The back seat is a bit lower than I expected it.  I didn't like that.  Sure, it has a lot of space, but I want my thighs on the seat bottom -- not up in the air above the seat.

Under the hood, it's a cobbled mess, and it's terrible.  The reason I say that it's terrible is mostly because because of the prop rod.  The Sonata, as well as many other I4 competitors have hydraulic props.  The Fusion not only doesn't have that, but the holder is weirdly placed, making it hard to get the rod secured when you're putting the hood down, the hood (relatively speaking) is very heavy, and the prop rod doesn't even have a piece of foam for your hand on it.  When the sun is beating on your car, as well as it getting over 200 degrees under the hood, that rod gets hot as hell.

Otherwise, the only cheap bits I found in the interior were the center compartment lid on the top of the dash and the shifter handle.  I was a little surprised it didn't have a manumatic function, leaving it and the Malibu as the only two midsize sedans I've driven without them.  Hmmm....

Otherwise, it was like a vault.  The car was quieter and more stable than most of the lux cars I've driven.  It's too isolated from the outside world for my tastes, and the 2-3 shift in the transmission feels like it's slipping a little.  The gauges are cool-looking, but it's impossible to see them on a bright day.  They're completely useless from the glare.  Otherwise, it's an excellent car.  Color me impressed.  It doesn't do anything badly really.  It's a really nice, taut car.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on June 23, 2009, 05:43:23 PM
I finally got to drive the I4 SE today.

Here's my assessment:

The back seat is a bit lower than I expected it.  I didn't like that.  Sure, it has a lot of space, but I want my thighs on the seat bottom -- not up in the air above the seat.
Back seats in midsize sedans are meant for kids though, and since I or you would probably never ride back there, does it really matter?

QuoteUnder the hood, it's a cobbled mess, and it's terrible.  The reason I say that it's terrible is mostly because because of the prop rod.  The Sonata, as well as many other I4 competitors have hydraulic props.  The Fusion not only doesn't have that, but the holder is weirdly placed, making it hard to get the rod secured when you're putting the hood down, the hood (relatively speaking) is very heavy, and the prop rod doesn't even have a piece of foam for your hand on it.  When the sun is beating on your car, as well as it getting over 200 degrees under the hood, that rod gets hot as hell.
Since when?  I've never had a car with hydraulic lifts on the hood and I've never burned my hand on the prop rod. :rolleyes:

QuoteOtherwise, the only cheap bits I found in the interior were the center compartment lid on the top of the dash and the shifter handle.  I was a little surprised it didn't have a manumatic function, leaving it and the Malibu as the only two midsize sedans I've driven without them.  Hmmm....
The V6 has manumatic shifting.

QuoteOtherwise, it was like a vault.  The car was quieter and more stable than most of the lux cars I've driven.  It's too isolated from the outside world for my tastes, and the 2-3 shift in the transmission feels like it's slipping a little.  The gauges are cool-looking, but it's impossible to see them on a bright day.  They're completely useless from the glare.  Otherwise, it's an excellent car.  Color me impressed.  It doesn't do anything badly really.  It's a really nice, taut car.
I drove one with a 6 speed manual, and you don't feel quite so isolated, but since the auto will be in 95% of the cars and will be driven by people who want to be isolated, then I think Ford got it right.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 23, 2009, 06:02:29 PM
Back seats in midsize sedans are meant for kids though, and since I or you would probably never ride back there, does it really matter?
Yes, it does matter when other cars are better.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 23, 2009, 06:02:29 PM

The Sonata, Passat, and Camry have higher rear seats, making them more comfortable for passengers with real legs.  It wasn't terrible.  It wasn't quite as low as the Malibu's.  But it's worth mentioning that both recent Fords in the fam -- my brothers' Contour and Taurus -- both had taller seat bottoms, and even though the Contour had no leg room, it didn't need it as much, either.

I just expected a little better.

QuoteSince when?  I've never had a car with hydraulic lifts on the hood and I've never burned my hand on the prop rod. :rolleyes:

The Sonata and Passat both have hydraulic lifts on their I4 models.  My car has a little foam handle on the rod to make sure you don't touch the hot rod.  And yes, after shuttling an old lady around today in 85-degree weather and then having to open the hood shortly thereafter, I can say the rod was really hot to the touch.  They could have thought it out better.

QuoteThe V6 has manumatic shifting.

Speaking that neither the I4 Camry nor Malibu have a manumatic, I guess I can let it slide.  But just about everything else in the class does.

QuoteI drove one with a 6 speed manual, and you don't feel quite so isolated, but since the auto will be in 95% of the cars and will be driven by people who want to be isolated, then I think Ford got it right.

I think you're right.
[/quote]

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on June 23, 2009, 06:15:28 PM
The Sonata and Passat both have hydraulic lifts on their I4 models.  My car has a little foam handle on the rod to make sure you don't touch the hot rod.  And yes, after shuttling an old lady around today in 85-degree weather and then having to open the hood shortly thereafter, I can say the rod was really hot to the touch.  They could have thought it out better.
We will have to agree to disagree.  I've never had a problem with hot prop rods.  Never. :huh:

ifcar

A bigger problem is if those struts wear out and you have no backup way to hold up the hood.