Driven: 2010 Fusion SEL V6

Started by SVT666, April 22, 2009, 02:16:09 PM

SVT666

Today I drove the 2010 Fusion SEL V6 with 6 speed automatic.  I don't have a lot of time to write a detailed report, so I'm doing it in Pros and Cons.

Pros:

1. Steering Responsiveness
2. Steering Accuracy
3. Steering Feel
4. Power
5. Acceleration
6. Sporty handling
7. Cornering
8. Seats
9. Ride
10. NVH
11. Back seat space
12. Biggest trunk I've ever seen
13. Instrument pod is so cool it's......cool
14. Stereo
15. Switchgear
16. Driving position
17. Exterior Styling
18. Interior Styling
19. Interior materials
20. Manumatic shifting is quick
21. Grille is far less imposing in the metal then in pictures.

Cons:
1. Dash should be a one piece.
2. Ummmmmm...that's it.

Verdict:
This is far and away the best driving sedan from a mainstream manufacturer that I've ever driven.  It's better then the G8, Malibu, Accord, Camry, 300, Charger, last generation Mazda 6, and Altima.  I'm blown away.  I have read that it's good, but I didn't expect this good.

the Teuton

I like the older, more conservative design better.  But I'm glad Ford upped the ante.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

I wonder how it compares with the new Mazda 6. Are they still on the same platform?

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 22, 2009, 02:42:21 PM
I wonder how it compares with the new Mazda 6. Are they still on the same platform?
It's much better then the last generation 6, but I haven't driven the new one.

sandertheshark

I do like the new grille better.  Without the extra two blades under the bumper I can stop calling it the Ford Gillette Fusion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

So why is it that Ford knows how to make a proper sedan again and the other 1.5 can't really keep up at the moment?  The Malibu is starting to look like an afterthought already.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sparkplug

A proper sedan is 4 doors, 5 passenger, I4 or V6, auto and preferably with a decent set of tires.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on April 22, 2009, 06:04:21 PM
So why is it that Ford knows how to make a proper sedan again and the other 1.5 can't really keep up at the moment?  The Malibu is starting to look like an afterthought already.

Since when?

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on April 22, 2009, 06:04:21 PM

I just figured it out after I rode in a coworker's Malibu; that car is like furnishings in a newly-built model home (at least as far as the interior goes); it's elegant and handsomely designed, but upon closer inspection, you can see where the corners were cut. I still like it better than the Camry, though.

Vinsanity

Quote from: sparkplug on April 22, 2009, 07:44:15 PM
A proper sedan is 4 doors, 5 passenger, I4 or V6, auto and preferably with a decent set of tires.

thanks for the news flash? :huh:

sandertheshark

Quote from: sparkplug on April 22, 2009, 07:44:15 PM

AUUUUGHHH!!! MNY EWYESS!!  YOUR OBVUIOSNESSS HAS BLINDED MEE!!

USA_Idol

Just one question:  With their huge turning radius, the 2006-2009 Fusions feel like you're driving a Peterbilt at times.  Has Ford tightened up the turning radius on the 2010?

SVT666

Quote from: USA_Idol on April 22, 2009, 10:09:30 PM
Just one question:  With their huge turning radius, the 2006-2009 Fusions feel like you're driving a Peterbilt at times.  Has Ford tightened up the turning radius on the 2010?
I never had to pull a u-turn, but the turning radius felt fine. :huh:

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 22, 2009, 09:22:57 PM
I just figured it out after I rode in a coworker's Malibu; that car is like furnishings in a newly-built model home (at least as far as the interior goes); it's elegant and handsomely designed, but upon closer inspection, you can see where the corners were cut. I still like it better than the Camry, though.

...I...don't like most modern midsize sedans right now.  I think they're all bloated, huge, overweight, and under-engineered.

That being said, I have a top 2-3 right now, but I have no idea what I'd pick if I were in the market for one.  Fortunately, I'm not.

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on April 22, 2009, 11:22:58 PM
...I...don't like most modern midsize sedans right now.  I think they're all bloated, huge, overweight, and under-engineered.

That being said, I have a top 2-3 right now, but I have no idea what I'd pick if I were in the market for one.  Fortunately, I'm not.

You, and the rest of CarSPIN, know that you'd go out and buy a Legacy in a heartbeat.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Curb weight on the 2010 Fusion is 3200 lbs.  That's a decent weight, and it actually feels lighter then that.  It felt a little bigger then my Focus, even though it's much much bigger.

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 22, 2009, 11:25:09 PM
You, and the rest of CarSPIN, know that you'd go out and buy a Legacy in a heartbeat.

If I had a family, maybe not.  There is no reason to buy a 2009 Legacy over an Impreza right now.  The Impreza is much better packaged.

If I didn't have a family or needed to carry other people only occasionally, yes, I would in a heartbeat.

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 22, 2009, 11:26:00 PM
Curb weight on the 2010 Fusion is 3200 lbs.  That's a decent weight, and it actually feels lighter then that.  It felt a little bigger then my Focus, even though it's much much bigger.

The Fusion would be on my short list, along with the Sonata, maybe the Legacy (see above), and probably the Accord, even though it is now way too big for me to really like it anymore.

SVT666

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 22, 2009, 11:25:09 PM
He would buy a Geely if it had a.....

...on the front.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 22, 2009, 11:27:17 PM
He would buy a Geely if it had a.....

...on the front.

Now that's just insulting to my character.

SVT666

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on April 22, 2009, 11:29:40 PM
Now that's just insulting to my character.

What character?

You give people chemical burns on their scalp for fun!

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 22, 2009, 11:39:10 PM
What character?

You give people chemical burns on their scalp for fun!

Only people I don't like.

SVT666

Just to be clear, and this may come as a surprise to all you who know me, but I would take the 2.5L I4 with 6 speed manual over the V6 any day.  The I4 gets better fuel mileage and is actually quite quick.  Heading over the pass with 4 adults might change my mind about engine choice, but after my test drives, I would take the 4 banger.

Vinsanity

What I'm now wondering is how much of an improvement the 2010 model is over the 2009. I took a brief drive in a last-gen Fusion, and my overall impression was of general competence. It didn't blow me away or anything, or even pleasantly surprise me like the Maxima or V6 Mazda6 did, but if I wasn't expecting as much to start off with, it might've left a better impression on me.

Then again, I'm thinking much of it had to do with the fact that the only V6 Fusion the dealer had at the time was saddled with the extra weight of an AWD system, and that just made it feel like a Mazda 6 with a crapload of junk in the trunk. And maybe it could've been one of those cars that you appreciate more as you live with it, like the Maxima.

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 22, 2009, 11:45:49 PM
What I'm now wondering is how much of an improvement the 2010 model is over the 2009. I took a brief drive in a last-gen Fusion, and my overall impression was of general competence. It didn't blow me away or anything, or even pleasantly surprise me like the Maxima or V6 Mazda6 did, but if I wasn't expecting as much to start off with, it might've left a better impression on me.

Then again, I'm thinking much of it had to do with the fact that the only V6 Fusion the dealer had at the time was saddled with the extra weight of an AWD system, and that just made it feel like a Mazda 6 with a crapload of junk in the trunk. And maybe it could've been one of those cars that you appreciate more as you live with it, like the Maxima.
No.  My feelings about the 2009 are exactly the same as yours.  It was competent, but nothing special.  It was definitely no better then mid-pack.  The 2010 Fusion blew me away.  I want one and I want it bad.  I have never lusted after a mainstream sedan before.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 22, 2009, 11:54:04 PM
No.  My feelings about the 2009 are exactly the same as yours.  It was competent, but nothing special.  It was definitely no better then mid-pack.  The 2010 Fusion blew me away.  I want one and I want it bad.  I have never lusted after a mainstream sedan before.

:lol:

I could say something, but I won't.

Vinsanity

They're engineered to be exactly what the average consumer wants them to be.

Xer0

I've seen a couple of new Fusion's on the road today, I really like the rims that they have fitted to them.

Northlands

I'm glad to see more glowing reviews for this car. I've been meaning to test drive this thing for a while... as I will be in the market for a new car in a year or so. I don't like the new Accord at all, I'm not likely to be a fan of Camry's anytime soon..

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS