Pontiac done

Started by SVT32V, April 24, 2009, 01:56:48 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: The Pirate on April 24, 2009, 07:35:14 PM
My first car was a 1988 Bonneville.  It was huge, and like yours, not very sporty.  But I loved that car.  Mine was pretty trouble free, I sold it to a friend with over 200K miles, and he got another 2 or 3 years out of it.

Some GM cars of that era were pretty trouble free.  My friend had a 1988 Chevrolet Berretta, and it was a phenomenal car too -- lots of heavy mileage with very few problems.  It's a shame that GM got the reputation that it did.  Very sad to see what's happening to it.  When I was growing up, GM was the 'cool' car to have.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

The Pirate

Read this on thought on another board, and it's pretty interesting (also probably discussed before), so I'll offer it here.

Anybody think it would have been wiser to kill off Buick?  Really, Chevrolet could offer versions of the Malibu and Impala to compensate for Buick's demise and some of those buyers would move up to Cadillac anyway, and push Pontiac's focus back to it's roots.  Pontiac had a lot of innovation back in the day. 

Buick may be a strong seller now, but it's clientele isn't getting any younger. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

dazzleman

Quote from: The Pirate on April 24, 2009, 08:42:56 PM
Read this on thought on another board, and it's pretty interesting (also probably discussed before), so I'll offer it here.

Anybody think it would have been wiser to kill off Buick?  Really, Chevrolet could offer versions of the Malibu and Impala to compensate for Buick's demise and some of those buyers would move up to Cadillac anyway, and push Pontiac's focus back to it's roots.  Pontiac had a lot of innovation back in the day. 

I think the reason GM kept Buick is because it's a big seller in China.  Without that, I think it would have been a better brand to kill off than Pontiac.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

The Pirate

Quote from: dazzleman on April 24, 2009, 08:45:02 PM
I think the reason GM kept Buick is because it's a big seller in China.  Without that, I think it would have been a better brand to kill off than Pontiac.

But we live in 'Murrica, dammit, not China!  :heated:

Yeah, that's a good point.  Still, it's sad, and I think (for the little that my opinion is worth) that, looking long-term, Pontiac is more viable than Buick.  Shame too, U.S. cars that I could likely afford in a few years are just now becoming desirable (mainly G8 and the GTO).

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rich

I had a Grand Prix as my first car... I really like the red interior lighting too.... this sucks
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

ifcar

Quote from: dazzleman on April 24, 2009, 08:45:02 PM

They could have killed it in the US while keeping it in China. I'd say they chose Buick as the keeper because its most recent product was a success and it has others with decent potential in the pipeline, whereas the G8 flopped and there isn't a new game-changing Pontiac due out soon.

MrH

Quote from: The Pirate on April 24, 2009, 08:50:38 PM
But we live in 'Murrica, dammit, not China!  :heated:

Yeah, that's a good point.  Still, it's sad, and I think (for the little that my opinion is worth) that, looking long-term, Pontiac is more viable than Buick.  Shame too, U.S. cars that I could likely afford in a few years are just now becoming desirable (mainly G8 and the GTO).

When has GM ever looked long term?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

The Pirate

Quote from: MrH on April 24, 2009, 09:05:10 PM
When has GM ever looked long term?

Good point.  But if there was ever a time to start, now would be it!

MrH

Quote from: The Pirate on April 24, 2009, 09:07:21 PM
Good point.  But if there was ever a time to start, now would be it!

It'd be too little too late.

Man, GM sure has a way of repeating itself.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on April 24, 2009, 08:53:08 PM
They could have killed it in the US while keeping it in China. I'd say they chose Buick as the keeper because its most recent product was a success and it has others with decent potential in the pipeline, whereas the G8 flopped and there isn't a new game-changing Pontiac due out soon.

Thing is, I'm not too sure how tethered together Buick US and Buick China are. Killing off one might collapse the other.

I still don't. People forget that older people have MONEY, whereas young people don't. Cadillac is turning into the Sports-luxury to compete with the younger clientele, and not a lot of people like Cadillac anymore. Yeah, the driving enthusiasts are turned on by Cadillac's new stance, but overall the older people don't like it, and with the demise of the DTS older people are liking Cadillac even less.

Buick offers a supple, floaty and luxuriant ride that people were used to getting at Cadillac circa 1999. Buick should stick around as long as older people still want them.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I would have taken that route. I would also sell some Saturn models as Pontiacs and get rid of the Toyota/Cobalt rebadges.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

68_427

Quote from: 2o6 on April 25, 2009, 01:23:03 PM
Buick should stick around as long as older people still want them.

I have a Buick.   :heated:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

As someone who just went shopping for a new car, the choices came down between 2 Buicks and a Subaru.  I was not the one who made the decision for the Subaru this time, even though I was indeed the one who ended up purchasing it.  Honest.

As a "filler" car in the price range, we first toyed around with a Century.  I wanted to get the Century initially, as the 3100 is nearly indestructible and has gobs of torque.  It didn't happen.  The car had an aura of cheapness to it.  The next was a 1999ish Park Avenue.  I know my parents aren't exactly spring chickens, but they're not your typical old people either.  They shot it down immediately.

So in the end, they thought the import would be the best.  It didn't hurt that somehow my mom has become an enviro-freak over the last year and bought that zero-landfill schtick Subaru has been selling for the Legacy.  So we got that.

In saying this, my parents aren't Buick people, older as they may be, and will never be Buick people.  Buick has to reinvent its image for the next generation -- what Oldsmobile was trying to do -- and attract the younger, upwardly mobile set because they've completely lost the baby boomers.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on April 25, 2009, 02:58:32 PM
As someone who just went shopping for a new car, the choices came down between 2 Buicks and a Subaru.  I was not the one who made the decision for the Subaru this time, even though I was indeed the one who ended up purchasing it.  Honest.

As a "filler" car in the price range, we first toyed around with a Century.  I wanted to get the Century initially, as the 3100 is nearly indestructible and has gobs of torque.  It didn't happen.  The car had an aura of cheapness to it.  The next was a 1999ish Park Avenue.  I know my parents aren't exactly spring chickens, but they're not your typical old people either.  They shot it down immediately.

So in the end, they thought the import would be the best.  It didn't hurt that somehow my mom has become an enviro-freak over the last year and bought that zero-landfill schtick Subaru has been selling for the Legacy.  So we got that.

In saying this, my parents aren't Buick people, older as they may be, and will never be Buick people.  Buick has to reinvent its image for the next generation -- what Oldsmobile was trying to do -- and attract the younger, upwardly mobile set because they've completely lost the baby boomers.

Gobs of torque?  :wtf:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

68_427

I've got a Century... wish it was the Regal.  I want the 3.8L racecar engine.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on April 25, 2009, 03:00:49 PM
Gobs of torque?  :wtf:

175 hp, 195 lb-ft versus I think (I don't know for sure) 137 hp, 135 lb-ft.

Yes, gobs or torque, relatively speaking.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on April 25, 2009, 03:03:54 PM
I've got a Century... wish it was the Regal.  I want the 3.8L racecar engine.

No. Century FTW.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

This is a good first step. Now they need to chop:
Buick
Saturn
GMC
& Hummer
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

YO

... I've been saying it forever... GENERAL MOTORS needs to get it's act together or the whole company will be extinct.

.. on a positive note, this is the first GOOD move in the right direction...
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

Schadenfreude

What I do wonder is what this means for Holden/Opel since Saturn's reportedly done at the end of this year.  Isn't most of GM's engineering done by GM Europe and Australia?  :confused:  If thats the case, GM may be done.

Quote from: ifcar on April 24, 2009, 08:53:08 PM
They could have killed it in the US while keeping it in China.

Buick only sells well in China because for some reason the Chinese think it's an upscale/high end brand in America (they used to think it was on par with Benz and BMW, but not since GM tried to milk that brand image for all it's worth with Buick badged Suzuki's).  Obviously this notion is very flawed, but the average Chinese doesn't have much understanding of the American market (actually most people of any country don't understand the foreign markets, case in point, Wimmer with Lexus). 

If GM kills off the America branch and only keeps the Chinese branch the Chinese are going to realize they are the only suckers still buying these cars.

Anyway I say good riddance to Pontiac.  Sure they had some decent cars, but there was no point to the brand anymore.  They were supposed the excitement branch, but it hardly made more exciting cars than the rest of GM.  The most exciting cars GM makes?  Chevy's line of Vettes.  The Solstice was a good fun car but Saturn got a copy too.  The G8 was basically pulled from Australian and could easily just be a Chevy.   

Like I said before, GM needs to have just Chevy and Cadillac, maybe a youth brand like Suzuki (or make something new).

Nethead

Pontiac's been in chemo since Pete Estes left there in the late 'Sixties.  Pontiac lost its soul a long time ago and no amount of re-badging was gonna bring that back. 

I think every GM line but Cadillac lost cred forever when they went to the common GM engines.  Cadillac is following suit with the demise of the Northstar, and Cadillac is now less distinct than it was before. 

Corporate anonymity brought down Pontiac, just as it did Oldsmobile.  Buick is as faceless as a discount clothing store mannikin, and will follow Olds & Pontiac unless the Chinese buy the brand and sever it physically from Government Motors.  GMC is in the unenviable position that either they must become the sole truck line of GM or they die the slow death as well--better start measuring for the dimensions of the casket now...

RIP, Chief.  I'm glad I can remember ye from times when...
So many stairs...so little time...

nickdrinkwater

the Teuton

Vinsanity

Quote from: Nethead on April 27, 2009, 08:56:31 AM
I think every GM line but Cadillac lost cred forever when they went to the common GM engines.  Cadillac is following suit with the demise of the Northstar, and Cadillac is now less distinct than it was before. 

At least we still have the Sigma architecture still exclusive to the brand, if only because using it for the Camaro would have made it too expensive. That's still more than what Lincoln has to offer.

It's a shame they can't engineer upsized displacements for the Northstar, though. While competing V8's from Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, and Infiniti have steadily increased displacements and gone from the 250-276hp range to the 340+ range, the Northstar kept the exact same displacement since it debuted and gained only 25 hp in the 15 years since (295hp to 320 hp).

the Teuton

The supercharged Northstar really should be detuned to 400 hp or so and marketed as the comparable engine to the big boys from Germany a la what Jaguar is doing.

The LSA surpasses the supercharged Northstar by so much that it makes no sense to keep it as a "V" engine.  Also, while old folks on supplemented incomes may love the fact that their Northstars run on regular, that's doing nothing for Cadillac's image.  The engines should have been on premium the whole time.

Even MINI's NA 1.6 liter engine "runs on premium."

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on April 27, 2009, 11:25:25 AM

Which I think is extremely lame. If Corollas, Civics, and Focuseses can be economical yet more powerful on regular gas, then why the freaking devil does the weak-ass regular Mini engine have to use premium? Freaking BMW :rolleyes:

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 27, 2009, 11:40:04 AM
Which I think is extremely lame. If Corollas, Civics, and Focuseses can be economical yet more powerful on regular gas, then why the freaking devil does the weak-ass regular Mini engine have to use premium? Freaking BMW :rolleyes:

One of the lot attendants put regular in the MINI one time.  He didn't care, either.  It still ran completely fine.

I think it's more of an image thing than anything else.

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on April 27, 2009, 11:53:04 AM
I think it's more of an image thing than anything else.

wow, that's even more lame than I thought.

I shamefully admit to putting 89 octane in the Maxima I rented, but I was honestly convinced that the car would run better on it than regular. There's no reason to me that a tiny 1.6 with 118 hp would even fancy the premium stuff. The NA Miata made the same amount of power from the same displacement 20 years ago on regular. Anyone who thinks this engine "requiring" premium somehow makes it superior deserves to have their money ripped off at the fuel pump as well as at the showroom.

MrH

Quote from: the Teuton on April 27, 2009, 11:25:25 AM
The supercharged Northstar really should be detuned to 400 hp or so and marketed as the comparable engine to the big boys from Germany a la what Jaguar is doing.

The LSA surpasses the supercharged Northstar by so much that it makes no sense to keep it as a "V" engine.  Also, while old folks on supplemented incomes may love the fact that their Northstars run on regular, that's doing nothing for Cadillac's image.  The engines should have been on premium the whole time.

If you think the Northstar running on regular killed its image, you're delusional.  No one cares that much.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited