Pontiac done

Started by SVT32V, April 24, 2009, 01:56:48 PM

hotrodalex

My Camaro definitely requires premium. I don't want to see what will happen on regular. Sometimes I use mid-grade, but only when I'm cruising down the highway and not getting on the gas.

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 28, 2009, 05:39:01 PM
My Camaro definitely requires premium. I don't want to see what will happen on regular. Sometimes I use mid-grade, but only when I'm cruising down the highway and not getting on the gas.

In my seven years of driving (a lot, I know!), I've never put anything but premium in any of the four cars I've owned, or any of the cars I've borrowed from my family members.  If I bought a Mustang, it would be a hard habit to break.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

CALL_911

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 28, 2009, 03:48:56 PM
The SVT Focus motor REQUIRES premium.  It surprised me when I saw it, because any premium fuel engine I've ever seen is Premium Recommended.  My gas gauge ssays "Premium Fuel Only", and my gas cap and the owner's manual says "Premium Required".

Hemi, did you have to change the speedo in your car? (US to Canada).

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 28, 2009, 06:20:34 PM

Why would he?  Km/h is right there. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 28, 2009, 06:20:34 PM
No.  Km/h is right there.

omicron

Quote from: GoCougs on April 28, 2009, 03:11:54 PM
Even if the product doesn't need one iota of engineering to meet US safety and emissions regs (which it most likely would)

?

If a G8 meets all the safety and emissions regulations, why wouldn't the same car with Chevrolet badges?

CALL_911

So does this along with Saturn's demise spell the death of the Kappa cars practically for good?

Shame, I always thought they were pretty cool.

Also, I would really like Chevy to keep the G8 around. 

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 29, 2009, 11:57:11 PM
So does this along with Saturn's demise spell the death of the Kappa cars practically for good?

Kappa was dead from the start. GM came out and said it wasn't going to be replaced, whether or not Saturn/Pontiac survived.

S204STi

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 29, 2009, 11:57:11 PM

The only really good Kappa car was the Sky.  The Solstice is cheap as hell inside.  At least the Sky is nice to look at, which makes up for the fact that you have literally no room at all inside the cabin. 

3.0L V6

Wasn't GM losing money on the Kappa anyway?

GoCougs

Quote from: omicron on April 29, 2009, 11:55:29 AM
?

If a G8 meets all the safety and emissions regulations, why wouldn't the same car with Chevrolet badges?

But the Lumina not being for the US market I would doubt that it'd have the safety and emissions regs (i.e., usually the strictest).

93JC

It's the same car.

And even if it doesn't meet US standards the engineering to make it meet those standards has already been done, and the assembly plant in Australia is already making the necessary parts for the G8. All they'd really have to do is stop making the Pontiac grille and badges.

omicron

Quote from: GoCougs on April 30, 2009, 08:56:15 AM
But the Lumina not being for the US market I would doubt that it'd have the safety and emissions regs (i.e., usually the strictest).

The only differences you'll find among G8s, Commodores and Luminas are cosmetic. Deleting the G8 simply means throwing away the Pontiac bumper/grille moulds at the Elizabeth plant.

omicron

Quote from: 93JC on April 30, 2009, 09:04:50 AM
It's the same car.

And even if it doesn't meet US standards the engineering to make it meet those standards has already been done, and the assembly plant in Australia is already making the necessary parts for the G8. All they'd really have to do is stop making the Pontiac grille and badges.

Fine! Come first! Leave me blowing in the wind!

93JC

"Come first"?

Oh boy, there's so many different ways I could respond to that...

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on April 30, 2009, 08:56:15 AM

It's the exact same car........literally. You can swap on a Holden/Chevy bumper with no modification.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on April 30, 2009, 02:12:37 PM
"Come first"?

Oh boy, there's so many different ways I could respond to that...

Blowing in the wind??