Whaddya guys know about Taurii/Sables?

Started by J86, May 02, 2009, 01:30:13 PM

the Teuton

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on May 03, 2009, 12:50:27 PM
Didn't someone on here have a 2.5 DOHC Duratec blow up because the timing chain failed?

M_Power's on his SVT Contour.  But, of course, it's not really an issue.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on May 03, 2009, 12:55:16 PM
M_Power's on his SVT Contour.  But, of course, it's not really an issue.

I am pretty sure it wasn't a timing chain failure.

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on May 03, 2009, 01:06:47 PM
I am pretty sure it wasn't a timing chain failure.

I'm pretty sure it had something to do with a timing problem.  First, he heard a valve tick, and then the car went kablooey!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on May 03, 2009, 01:10:20 PM
I'm pretty sure it had something to do with a timing problem.  First, he heard a valve tick, and then the car went kablooey!

Okay i went to a couple of ford dealerships and a couple of shops to have them take a listen to the ticking from the engine. Here is what they said:

1. Sticky lifter
2. Connecting rod bearing
3. Something wrong with the camshaft (apparently a Ford TSB)
4. Water pump

#1 is BS. #2 and #3 are gonna run me like 3-4 grand for a complete engine rebuild. #4 is gonna be about $200. I might have the water pump replaced since i've been meaning to get that done anyway. But i think i'll wait until my dad comes next week and get an opinion from him as well.

Eye of the Tiger

The timing chain tensioner failed, I believe.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JWC

Torque converters and cooling systems are the weak link with Tauruses. 

If the cooling system is brown in color, check how well the heater works.  The heater core is the first thing to clog up and requires removing the dash to repair.  If the coolant reservoir is empty, be sure to add coolant and check the container for leaks.  It will be hard to see because the typical crack happens on the bottom side against the wheel house.

As for torque converter issues.  You're on your own.  When the typical converter fails in this vehicle, the car simply stops moving.  There is no warning. You'll pull up to a stop light, when the light changes, there will be a slight jolt and that's it.

This torque converter issue also happens with Windstar/Freestar.

the Teuton

JWC, any more knowledge about the transmission/head gasket issues?

JWC

Quote from: the Teuton on May 03, 2009, 05:40:36 PM
JWC, any more knowledge about the transmission/head gasket issues?

The only head gasket issues I've seen were a direct result of running too hot after coolant loss...the reservoir leaking and no one paying attention.  We have a 2002 in the shop now with blown head gaskets.  Ironically, it is the car that my wife used to drive and traded in two years ago.  The car came in for running hot and we found the reservoir leaking...estimate labor, coolant, and tank was $150.00.  Customer didn't want to spend $150.00 and allowed her 17yo to continue driving it...like he was really going to check the coolant level.  Anyway, now they are looking at a $1200.00 bill.

One other thing of note, especially on 2001+ Tauruses is a squeaking noise from the engine.  Most will diagnose it as a serp belt and belt tensioner.  In reality, the most common cause is the CMP sensor stator.  That cost is around $250-300 in shop with labor with the sensor.  Since you're there you may as well spend the $35 for the sensor and replace it too.  You will need a alignment tool to replace it.  The non-OEM sensor stator sold at NAPA and Advance comes with a plastic tool, but I've had customers who have tried using it and the success rate is around 50%.

sparkplug

Quote from: NACar on May 03, 2009, 03:07:21 PM
The timing chain tensioner failed, I believe.

I didn't know timing chain had tensioner. That's interesting. I know for sure that timing belts need tensioners.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

S204STi

Quote from: sparkplug on May 03, 2009, 07:21:35 PM
I didn't know timing chain had tensioner. That's interesting. I know for sure that timing belts need tensioners.

Yeah they have guides (usually plastic) with tensioners built it to keep the chain from skipping teeth.  They would be almost impossible to install if they didn't have some slack in them from the factory, hence the need for a way to take up that slack.

sparkplug

Quote from: R-inge on May 03, 2009, 07:26:17 PM
Yeah they have guides (usually plastic) with tensioners built it to keep the chain from skipping teeth.  They would be almost impossible to install if they didn't have some slack in them from the factory, hence the need for a way to take up that slack.

Car nerd. You'll make a great mechanic.

Quote from: JWC on May 03, 2009, 05:15:05 PM
Torque converters and cooling systems are the weak link with Tauruses. 

If the cooling system is brown in color, check how well the heater works.  The heater core is the first thing to clog up and requires removing the dash to repair.  If the coolant reservoir is empty, be sure to add coolant and check the container for leaks.  It will be hard to see because the typical crack happens on the bottom side against the wheel house.

As for torque converter issues.  You're on your own.  When the typical converter fails in this vehicle, the car simply stops moving.  There is no warning. You'll pull up to a stop light, when the light changes, there will be a slight jolt and that's it.

This torque converter issue also happens with Windstar/Freestar.

What happens to the torque converter.

Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

S204STi

Quote from: sparkplug on May 03, 2009, 07:31:51 PM
Car nerd. You'll make a great mechanic.

One of these days maybe... maybe if I wasted less time here. :lol:

QuoteWhat happens to the torque converter.

Stator probably breaks.  It's what forces fluid to flow a particular direction inside of the housing, and if it freewheels in both directions instead of just one direction like it should you'll lose all ability to transmit power through it.

JWC

Quote from: R-inge on May 03, 2009, 07:41:29 PM
Stator probably breaks.  It's what forces fluid to flow a particular direction inside of the housing, and if it freewheels in both directions instead of just one direction like it should you'll lose all ability to transmit power through it.

Yep

J86

CALL_911

Congrats, I think?

What happened to your pimpin' old Legacy?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

S204STi

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 03, 2009, 09:31:03 PM
Congrats, I think?

What happened to your pimpin' old Legacy?

Blew the head gasket and grenaded the motor apparently.

Laconian

Congratulations! ________ or ________?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

J86

2001 Sable LS wagon.  98k.  3L V6.  Leather, pwr everything, third seat.

SVT666

A modern day rumble seat.  Kids love those...until they get car sick from watching everything go by backwards.

S204STi

Quote from: J86 on May 04, 2009, 06:29:32 AM
2001 Sable LS wagon.  98k.  3L V6.  Leather, pwr everything, third seat.

Sweet, good deal man.  That should also tow your boats nicely.

Eye of the Tiger

LS? COol, that's the 200 hp one. GOod job.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

I can say SVT contour owners love getting their hands on the 3L duratecs for their own cars...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Colonel Cadillac

J86

I'll let you know whe I get down there. Go grab a drink or something

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: J86 on May 04, 2009, 01:37:03 PM
I'll let you know whe I get down there. Go grab a drink or something

Yeah definitely

Pommes-T

Awesome! Love those cars. I wish you a lot of fun with it! Man, I have a thing for american cars!  :thumbsup:
'00 BMW 523i

Laconian

Quote from: Pommes-T on May 05, 2009, 02:35:28 PM
Awesome! Love those cars. I wish you a lot of fun with it! Man, I have a thing for american cars!  :thumbsup:
Now I know how you feel when you see us gushing over Opels.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT