BMW M division CEO: No more naturally aspirated M cars.

Started by 565, May 07, 2009, 08:12:05 PM

Xer0

Didn't they say they would never make a F/I car a couple years back?

GoCougs

Boy, I'm just not a fan of forced induction, but I suppose I could live with it...

But who am I kidding, I don't think I'd ever buy an M car.

Raza

It makes sense.  Turbos are better, and they're more fuel efficient than highly tuned naturally aspirated engines.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

It'd be funny to dig up fanboy forum posts about BMW's naturally aspirated purity and contrast that with what they're saying about it now.

It was pretty hilarious to see the Apple fanatics trying to deal with the cognitive dissonance when Apple spontaneously switched from Motorola to Intel.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

sandertheshark

Excuse me, ///M chief?  Hi, Sander in St. Louis.  Big fan.  Two questions.

1) Umm.... what the fuck are you doing?  and

2) Does this mean the E90/92 M3 will soon become something of a classic?

r0tor

I love the roar of the V8's in the M3 and Audi S4/RS4.  The pure mechanical nastiness of the E46 M3 is so energenic.  However, the reality is these engines are very maintenance intesive, costly, and have just rediculously horrendous fuel mileage (this is coming from a rotary engine owner mind you).

Oh how I will miss the sounds of these NA engine, but looking at the new 3.0L supercharged V6 in the S4 its hard to argue against something that provides better performance then the old V8 S4 and also gets 30mpg highway vs the V8's 21mpg...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

If you're not looking to rev the piss out of the V8 or V10, the engine sounds really lumpy and tractor-like.  It's really not exciting to listen to like BMW's straight sixes.  Also, it doesn't surge instantly like the N54 twin turbo engine.

MexicoCityM3 said that E46 was more fun than the E92 at in-town speeds because the car was less refined and more engaging.  And that's possibly what I dislike the most about the new M3.  It's far too refined to be a sports car.  It if you didn't have the carbon fiber checkered trim and the fat steering wheel, it would feel just like the 325i at city speeds.  It has no grunt unless you put your foot all the way to the floor.  It's as if Honda built a V8.

So call me a nut, but I would like to see the 1er get under 3,000 pounds, shed the nannies in the base trim, and get a turbo four.  I'd like to see the M3 lose 300-400 pounds and get a 3.5 or so turbo six with 400 hp.  Because even with less power, it would definitely have more torque than than pisser of a V8 at low RPMs, and it would definitely feel more fun.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Submariner

Quote from: Laconian on May 07, 2009, 11:02:26 PM
It'd be funny to dig up fanboy forum posts about BMW's naturally aspirated purity and contrast that with what they're saying about it now.

It was pretty hilarious to see the Apple fanatics trying to deal with the cognitive dissonance when Apple spontaneously switched from Motorola to Intel.

Well...IBM/Motorola...It wasn't purely Motorola since the 68k days.

The dual dual core G5's were quite powerful, and often outperformed similar Intel chips, but my god, has Intel taken off with their i7 and Xeon Chipsets.

Back to the cars...BMW's havent been "pure" since they put 400+ different electronic nannies, ifail, and 20 speed SMG's in their cars.  Going turbo only completes the transition to the dark side.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Payman

A next gen 1-series M car, with a 300 hp turbo-4 would be awesome... provided it weighs less than 3000 lb and gotten rid of that horrid sagging belly line.

Raza

Quote from: Payman on May 11, 2009, 08:47:28 PM
A next gen 1-series M car, with a 300 hp turbo-4 would be awesome... provided it weighs less than 3000 lb and gotten rid of that horrid sagging belly line.

The 135i already has 300 horsepower. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

r0tor

Their I6's are so much more delicous then 4 bangers though...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

nickdrinkwater

I heard that the next gen 1er and 3er will have only 3-cyl and 4-cyl engines.... no joke...

r0tor

Raza

Quote from: AltinD on May 12, 2009, 05:04:30 AM
^^ But that's from a Turbo 6, not 4.

Yeah, which is why I don't understand the move to the turbo four.  Would it really be much lighter on the nose?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

Quote from: the Teuton on May 11, 2009, 01:17:03 PM
MexicoCityM3 said that E46 was more fun than the E92 at in-town speeds because the car was less refined and more engaging.  And that's possibly what I dislike the most about the new M3.  It's far too refined to be a sports car.  It if you didn't have the carbon fiber checkered trim and the fat steering wheel, it would feel just like the 325i at city speeds.  It has no grunt unless you put your foot all the way to the floor.  It's as if Honda built a V8.

So call me a nut, but I would like to see the 1er get under 3,000 pounds, shed the nannies in the base trim, and get a turbo four.  I'd like to see the M3 lose 300-400 pounds and get a 3.5 or so turbo six with 400 hp.  Because even with less power, it would definitely have more torque than than pisser of a V8 at low RPMs, and it would definitely feel more fun.

I think the dual personality is the beauty of M cars.  At least that's the reason I would get one.  You get the power, handling, delivery of a sports car when out in the open and at the limit.  But when  you're in the city, it's back to being a gentleman, calm, finesse, smooth.  It's a great compromise. 

If you want a purebred car, you wouldn't be looking at a M3 to begin with.  Plus, a really focused car doesn't really sell in the volume BMW would like. 

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on May 11, 2009, 01:17:03 PM
If you're not looking to rev the piss out of the V8 or V10, the engine sounds really lumpy and tractor-like.  It's really not exciting to listen to like BMW's straight sixes.  Also, it doesn't surge instantly like the N54 twin turbo engine.

The romance of a race car on the street is short lived... believe me. Low end torque, a nice highway ride.... in my opinion those are more valuable than the perfect WOT engine note or incredible feedback at 10/10ths.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 15, 2009, 06:44:50 PM
Oh my God they are like copying AMG!  :facepalm:

:wtf:
AMG switched back to all N/A from what I understand...???

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 16, 2009, 08:53:26 AM

Yep. Only the '65 models still have turbos. Two of 'em even. I was making a "fanboy comment" with my previous post.  :tounge:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 16, 2009, 08:53:26 AM

The will be using turbos in some models, but N/A mostly.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

mrs hounddog

Quote from: Submariner on May 16, 2009, 11:47:49 AM
The will be using turbos in some models, but N/A mostly.
I really wish my SUV had a twin turbo 6 or the 4.4 turbo 8.  The engine in it is perfectly fine but I like the idea of the turbo technology, I would really enjoy it if it were supercharged as well. 

"Nothing matter so much as blood.  Everyone else are just strangers."
-Gene Hackman in Wyatt Earp.

the Teuton

Mrs. H, have you gotten to drive an X6 xDrive35i yet?  For a 6 cylinder that weighs almost as much as your X5, it's absolutely electric.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

mrs hounddog

No I haven't.  When I was looking at and ordering my car the X6 either wasn't out or they didn't have any I don't remember.  I'm of the opinion if I'm not looking for a car I'm not looking at cars.  Just the way I am and I really don't have the time.  But I do like the X6 it's just not executed well but it's a good idea and seems to be a few around up here.

the Teuton

I hated driving the X6.  It has terrible visibility, and there's no real reason why it's only a 4-seater.  But the engine and a little crisper steering were by far the nicest things about it.

mrs hounddog

If you hated driving it why would suggest it?  To suggest one then berate it is counter to intelligent discussion unless I misunderstand your point, which is possible. 

the Teuton

Quote from: mrs hounddog on May 16, 2009, 12:58:58 PM
If you hated driving it why would suggest it?  To suggest one then berate it is counter to intelligent discussion unless I misunderstand your point, which is possible. 

The package in and of itself sucked.  But the engine was a gem.