Little something a friend of mine picked up...

Started by VTEC_Inside, May 16, 2009, 06:32:04 PM

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Sigma Projects

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18674.msg1064281#msg1064281 date=1242788979
LA is a little different from the rest of the country.

I'm sure it's similar to the east coast. NSX pulls its styling cues from the F40 so it's only natural for someone to think it's something even better than it is. Just like how a ZR1 will get the same attention from non-enthusiasts that an auto C6 would, people just don't know. The NSX looks fast, it resembles Italian design. Some people will guess it's old, but still think of it as something exclusive especially since they're not common.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

SVT666

I saw my first NSX in 5 or 6 years yesterday.

Xer0

Tave

I've seen a surprising number of different NSXs in Sheridan over the years.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

93JC

Quote from: R-inge on May 19, 2009, 02:13:21 PM
I thought the Canuck currency was close to ours?  (What do you call it btw?  Dollars, or ???)

:facepalm:

SVT666

Raza

Quote from: Sigma Projects on May 20, 2009, 03:46:34 AM
I'm sure it's similar to the east coast. NSX pulls its styling cues from the F40 so it's only natural for someone to think it's something even better than it is. Just like how a ZR1 will get the same attention from non-enthusiasts that an auto C6 would, people just don't know. The NSX looks fast, it resembles Italian design. Some people will guess it's old, but still think of it as something exclusive especially since they're not common.

It's not that similar here.  Maybe deep into the richest areas of NYC people don't give a shit about anything that isn't 200+K, but for most of the even upper-middle-class/lower-upper-class areas where I live, people still look at Porsches. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on May 20, 2009, 11:22:34 AM
I've seen a surprising number of different NSXs in Sheridan over the years.

I used to have a commute that crossed an NSX.  A white one, fixed lamp.  I was driving by the same street everyday when he was trying to turn on to it from the opposing traffic lane. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 20, 2009, 12:13:55 PM
He's a Merry Can, what do you expect?

I don't know. All I know is it says DOLLAR right on it:

the Teuton

Is that a picture of the Canadian president on the coin?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT_Power

Quote from: the Teuton on May 20, 2009, 08:39:28 PM

We don't got no president
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Onslaught

If it is then I've got  2 million of their President's running around this area. And they all need to be assassinated.

r0tor

well, they do call it a "Loony"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

93JC

Quote from: Onslaught on May 21, 2009, 04:44:19 AM
If it is then I've got  2 million of their President's running around this area. And they all need to be assassinated.

I didn't think loons migrated that far south. :huh:

Onslaught

Quote from: 93JC on May 21, 2009, 08:55:07 AM
I didn't think loons migrated that far south. :huh:
Sorry, I didn't look at it that close. Thought it was one of those mother fucking Canadian Geese at first glance.

93JC

I can't blame you for confusing the two. After all, you're trying to identify a bird based on a blown-up picture of a coin.

A lot of Canadians think the animal on our quarter is a moose:

It's a caribou.

the Teuton

Why do all of your leaders look like woodland creatures?  Ours all look like stuffy old politicians.

93JC

By that same logic yours look a lot like the Lincoln Memorial, Monticello, a torch surrounded by branches and a bald eagle.

Oh, and that Indian chick.

omicron

I say - do your coins have just one of the Queen's chins or several of them? We updated to the several-chins version a few years back:

Sigma Projects

bit off topic, but I always thought a Do Luck kit kinda cleaned up the early 90's cues for a more modern look.

My favorite color for the kit also.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

VTEC_Inside

Update: Well he has certainly been getting his moneys worth from the car.

He put 2000kms on it in 2 weeks driving essentially no where.

That is until last night.

Its not really known outside of NSX circles but there was a transmission TSB for 1991-1992 model cars with 5spd transmissions within a certain number range.

He knew about the TSB prior to buying the car but never checked the number on the trans, which happens to fall smack in the middle of the affected range. He felt that given the kms on the car, it would have already broken if it was going to be a problem.

A groove within the transmission case for a snap ring varied in width due to a cutting tool issue. On casings where this groove allowed for too much movement of the snap ring, eventually the snap ring breaks.

That snap ring holds one of the counter-shaft bearings in position, insert scooby doo ruh roh here...

Anyways, the transmission sound horrible right now even though it does still work properly.

Its looking like we might be taking a road trip to pick up a new transmission for it sometime soon.

As if that weren't enough of a kick in the nuts, I noticed that he had managed to curb rash both passenger wheels on something too... Fortunately they are just polished aluminum so he was able to sand and polish them good as new within an hour, but....
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

r0tor

Quote from: Onslaught on May 21, 2009, 03:06:46 PM
Sorry, I didn't look at it that close. Thought it was one of those mother fucking Canadian Geese at first glance.

illegal immigrants  :lockedup:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ChrisV

Quote from: NomisR on May 19, 2009, 04:25:20 PM
If you're talking about curbside appeal, the NSX would draw more attention than a 911.  The only Porsche that would draw more attention is a Carrera GT.  Everything else is mostly ignored.  At least in CA anyways.  Well, actually, maybe a 911 GT3 or GT2 but that'll only attract the enthusiasts.

or a 356, especially a speedster. ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on June 10, 2009, 11:57:46 AM
Update: Well he has certainly been getting his moneys worth from the car.

He put 2000kms on it in 2 weeks driving essentially no where.

That is until last night.

Its not really known outside of NSX circles but there was a transmission TSB for 1991-1992 model cars with 5spd transmissions within a certain number range.

He knew about the TSB prior to buying the car but never checked the number on the trans, which happens to fall smack in the middle of the affected range. He felt that given the kms on the car, it would have already broken if it was going to be a problem.

A groove within the transmission case for a snap ring varied in width due to a cutting tool issue. On casings where this groove allowed for too much movement of the snap ring, eventually the snap ring breaks.

That snap ring holds one of the counter-shaft bearings in position, insert scooby doo ruh roh here...

Anyways, the transmission sound horrible right now even though it does still work properly.

Its looking like we might be taking a road trip to pick up a new transmission for it sometime soon.

As if that weren't enough of a kick in the nuts, I noticed that he had managed to curb rash both passenger wheels on something too... Fortunately they are just polished aluminum so he was able to sand and polish them good as new within an hour, but....

Wait because it's a TSB, does Honda still cover it?  It's technically still Honda's fault right?

TBR

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: 565 on June 10, 2009, 01:44:06 PM
Wait because it's a TSB, does Honda still cover it?  It's technically still Honda's fault right?

Word is that Honda had been covering the repair on cars that were as old as 10yrs, and partially paying sometime beyond that, but at this point you are on your own.

Just under 2500 cars were covered by the TSB, but there is a good number of them that were machined correctly or within an allowable margin that will never have a problem.

He has been in contact with an NSX Tech that the local community swears by. The car is being towed to this guys place later today. Replacement parts, per the TSB, include a new transmission housing are only about $500 and change. This guy is only charging $800 labor to pull the tranny, replace the parts (and whatever else looks like its done), and reinstall the transmission.

Getting the car onto a flatbed is going to be fun thats for sure.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...