Looking for a car...

Started by Raza , May 18, 2009, 02:42:17 PM

Raza

Quote from: CJ on May 18, 2009, 09:29:38 PM
Have her give the Veracruz a shot. 

I'll mention it, but I doubt she'll go for it.  She's not nearly as image-conscious as your typical suburban wife, but she will probably be reluctant to consider a Korean car (as she was to consider a Ford).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on May 18, 2009, 09:11:32 PM
I was wondering if the Volvo V70 or XC70 (or XC60?) had a rear facing third row or something like that. 

This isn't the segment about which I know most, which is why I'm here looking for suggestions.  I'll pass on that Murano thing to her though.  She may like it.

Murano doesn't have a third row.

The CX-9 is probably the best in the segment.

ifcar

I was wondering if the Volvo V70 or XC70 (or XC60?) had a rear facing third row or something like that. 

XC60 is a compact SUV. Five seats.

Also, don't they already have a Volvo, or am I thinking of someone else?

2o6

The only thing that describes this is the Outlander and Rav4.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on May 19, 2009, 06:19:50 AM
XC60 is a compact SUV. Five seats.

Also, don't they already have a Volvo, or am I thinking of someone else?

Same gal.  Her husband has an XC90.

Actually, I'm at a Volvo dealer right now.  I should check this stuff out.

Edit:  Apparently this place isn't a Volvo dealer anymore.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18694.msg1063617#msg1063617 date=1242747083
Same gal.  Her husband has an XC90.

Actually, I'm at a Volvo dealer right now.  I should check this stuff out.

Edit:  Apparently this place isn't a Volvo dealer anymore.

LOL.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on May 19, 2009, 10:17:16 AM
LOL.

Yeah, apparently as of February they shut down their Volvo store and consolidated with their other dealer in a different sales zone.  Volvo paid them a lot of money to shut it down and move.  Lucky for them.  It's now their used car office.

And when I was there, I saw an 07 Mini Cooper.  Not an S.  Price?  $19,995.  Ridiculous. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2009, 12:51:07 PM
And when I was there, I saw an 07 Mini Cooper.  Not an S.  Price?  $19,995.  Ridiculous. 

That's about a grand more than they start at new.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on May 19, 2009, 02:00:08 PM

The used car manager says he moves them at that price, but he can only find ones in silver.  Which I found strange, since I rarely see silver Minis.  He said he's had three this month.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on May 19, 2009, 02:00:08 PM

But this one was an automatic.  So, that makes up the k.  But then again, it'll accelerate like a three legged dog. 

And did you know the door handles don't move?  If you pull the door handle of a Mini, the door won't open.  There's a little black lever-type button that you have to press on the inside of the door handle to open the door. 

That's retarded.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Colonel Cadillac

This isn't the segment about which I know most, which is why I'm here looking for suggestions.  I'll pass on that Murano thing to her though.  She may like it.

The V70 would be perfect and it's available with a rear-facing seat.

Colonel Cadillac

VW Passat 3.6 4motion wagon.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2009, 02:32:43 PM
The used car manager says he moves them at that price, but he can only find ones in silver.  Which I found strange, since I rarely see silver Minis.  He said he's had three this month.

Not for a 2-year-old car.

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2009, 02:34:24 PM
But this one was an automatic.  So, that makes up the k.  But then again, it'll accelerate like a three legged dog. 

And did you know the door handles don't move?  If you pull the door handle of a Mini, the door won't open.  There's a little black lever-type button that you have to press on the inside of the door handle to open the door. 

That's retarded.

I've driven a few.  There are a lot of things about that car that look retro but aren't.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

I saw the fucking price tag, pal. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on May 19, 2009, 04:30:59 PM

The V70 would be perfect and it's available with a rear-facing seat.

Is it still?  MSN Autos said that it was a 5 seater, and there was no optional seating. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on May 19, 2009, 09:34:33 PM

Apparently.  I checked it out. 

What an overpriced little car.  Two years old, and it's only a hundred dollars or so cheaper than my car was new.  And a Mini doesn't have anything on my car in real world performance; and with such a power deficit, I doubt it would catch up on most tracks.  And my car is more practical.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CJ

The new V70 does not have a rear-facing third row.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2009, 09:36:20 PM

What an overpriced little car.  Two years old, and it's only a hundred dollars or so cheaper than my car was new.  And a Mini doesn't have anything on my car in real world performance; and with such a power deficit, I doubt it would catch up on most tracks.  And my car is more practical.

I think I'd rather have your VDub over a base automatic Mini that is otherwise optionless and a year older.  What kind of morons are there?!?!

Raza

Quote from: CJ on May 19, 2009, 09:43:18 PM
The new V70 does not have a rear-facing third row.

I didn't think so. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on May 20, 2009, 07:01:54 PM
I didn't think so. 

I don't think any wagons out there have a rear facing third row (or third row altogether, unless you count the Taurus X as a wagon and not a crossover).

Question: If the third row is occasional use, why can't they simply take the XC90 when they need the extra row?

Raza

Quote from: TBR on May 20, 2009, 07:06:20 PM
I don't think any wagons out there have a rear facing third row (or third row altogether, unless you count the Taurus X as a wagon and not a crossover).

Question: If the third row is occasional use, why can't they simply take the XC90 when they need the extra row?

Because the XC90 isn't a seven seater?  That's the only thing I can think of.  I don't know what year it is, but I doubt they'd need two seven seat SUVs to handle two kids and the occasional family visit.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on May 20, 2009, 07:12:17 PM
Because the XC90 isn't a seven seater?  That's the only thing I can think of.  I don't know what year it is, but I doubt they'd need two seven seat SUVs to handle two kids and the occasional family visit.

They were available with a third row from the beginning. I can't quite imagine anyone not get it, but I suppose it is possible.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on May 20, 2009, 07:13:23 PM
They were available with a third row from the beginning. I can't quite imagine anyone not get it, but I suppose it is possible.

I believe they had the Odyssey when they got it.  The husband generally drives it alone to work.  They took the minivan everywhere else.

And the XC90 that was at the not-a-Volvo dealer was only a five seat, so it does exist.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CJ

The third row was a factory option.

the Teuton

Let's face it, the best fit for her seems to be the MDX.  It's the only SUV anyone can think of with a premium badge, space for 7, a relatively new design, and a price around $40k.

For the same money, there isn't much else that really meets the criteria.

There are some alternatives like the CX-9, Tribeca, and Pilot, but none of those really seem to fit, do they?

Rich

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2009, 09:36:20 PM

What an overpriced little car. 

People still buy them like crazy, so they can't be too overpriced.

Two years old, and it's only a hundred dollars or so cheaper than my car was new.  And a Mini doesn't have anything on my car in real world performance
Better steering feel, WAY better fuel economy, more nimble (600 pounds less)

and with such a power deficit, I doubt it would catch up on most tracks.

sure wouldn't

And my car is more practical.

Yep, but not everyone likes driving midsize sedans
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 21, 2009, 12:46:24 AM
People still buy them like crazy, so they can't be too overpriced.
Better steering feel, WAY better fuel economy, more nimble (600 pounds less)

sure wouldn't

Yep, but not everyone likes driving midsize sedans

Way better fuel economy?  Doesn't the Cooper get like 34 highway?  My car does like 31. 

And I'll have to defer on steering feel and agility, since I've yet to drive one.  But I do remember reading an article posted here where in handling tests, the Mini came out behind the GTI (which is almost identical to my car), and I believe that was the first Mini, which has been noted to be much better than the new one in handling (and steering feel).

EDIT:  My car is a compact, not a midsize. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: the Teuton on May 20, 2009, 09:50:27 PM
Let's face it, the best fit for her seems to be the MDX.  It's the only SUV anyone can think of with a premium badge, space for 7, a relatively new design, and a price around $40k.

For the same money, there isn't much else that really meets the criteria.

What aboot the LR3?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on May 21, 2009, 04:16:36 PM
What aboot the LR3?

Why would that be better than an MDX for anything on-road?