US cars to get 42 mpg by 2016

Started by bing_oh, May 18, 2009, 02:54:49 PM

bing_oh

Quote from: 2o6 on May 19, 2009, 09:06:54 AM
Underpowered? Adequately powered. People bought Saturns in droves and for awhile it achieved high MPG's, Upwards of 35 MPG. It only had 100HP (SL). So why not add some technological advancements, and see what will happen.

Hey, if you can give me power and better gas mileage at the same time, I'm all for it. But, if the car industry makes nothing but underpowered cars just to meet some Federal government standard, then I'll be all kinds of pissed.

GoCougs

Oh, yes - much higher fuel taxes are on the way for two fold reasons; the simple practicality that as fuel usage drops so does fuel tax revenue, and the left's intent is to get people out of cars and onto public transportation.

Vinsanity

Quote from: GoCougs on May 19, 2009, 06:36:55 PM
Oh, yes - much higher fuel taxes are on the way for two fold reasons; the simple practicality that as fuel usage drops so does fuel tax revenue, and the left's intent is to get people out of cars and onto public transportation.

Incidentally, the best way to do that is to let the roads clog up with people driving their own cars.

What a dilemma...

JWC

Quote from: GoCougs on May 19, 2009, 06:36:55 PM

I agree that fanatical liberals believe that no one should drive, but high fuel taxes will become mandatory, not to increase revenue, but to get people to buy the cars in the first place.

To make up for lost fuel tax revenue, states will impose mileage taxes instead.  This is something that either the MSM is ignoring, or hasn't realized.  Obama's promise that the new breed of cars will pay for themselves, is either a stupid belief or a lie.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on May 18, 2009, 03:09:04 PM

:huh:

If anything I think companies like Jaguar-Land Rover will have the most difficulty.
The obvious answer.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: Byteme on May 18, 2009, 06:45:17 PM
Everytime the government splapped a regulation on the automakers the industry, mainly the domestics, whined tht they couldn't do it.  But they did, and cars today are lightyears better than they were.  I think this challenge will be good for the industry.
I agree.  The technology is already here for hybrids and will only get better.  By 2016 some manufacturers will be at a 5th generation level of hybrid technology and, with the advanced technology, will likely outperform today's high performance vehicles.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 19, 2009, 06:48:29 PM
Incidentally, the best way to do that is to let the roads clog up with people driving their own cars.

What a dilemma...

I'm not so sure - Americans have shown an intense insensitivity at attempts to get them out of their cars.

Imagine how much more "stimulus" Detroit will need as sales even fall further owing to more costly vehicles, as people choose to hang onto their existing cars longer, or buy much cheaper, slightly used cars. This move has cemented the nationalization of Detroit.

It's really sad state of affairs the country has come to.

GoCougs

Quote from: JWC on May 19, 2009, 07:08:40 PM
I agree that fanatical liberals believe that no one should drive, but high fuel taxes will become mandatory, not to increase revenue, but to get people to buy the cars in the first place.

To make up for lost fuel tax revenue, states will impose mileage taxes instead.  This is something that either the MSM is ignoring, or hasn't realized.  Obama's promise that the new breed of cars will pay for themselves, is either a stupid belief or a lie.

I agree, as people shy away from more expensive, under performing vehicles choosing rather used cars or keeping what they've go for longer, Detroit will have to be nationalized. Not only will states dramatically increase fuel taxes (federal government will as well), states will also dramatically increase registration and ownership taxes on older vehicles.