Forbes: A Horrifying Glimpse of the Future

Started by sandertheshark, May 22, 2009, 08:35:16 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on May 30, 2009, 06:47:40 PM
I HIGHLY Doubt that. Seriously, these cars are not a government device. Europeans need them (and a lot of them prefer them) because of their cities with narrow roads. There are so many reasons, government being the very last one, that small cars exist and are popular.

Seriously dude, stop smoking crack. Not everything is a ploy from the government.

Yet in the freest, most capitalist nation they're a non-issue; only where there is either profound government intervention (as in Europe and Japan with monstrous fuel taxes and engine displacement surcharges) or lack of capitalism in general (inability for people to afford an Accord or Malibu) are they popular.

2o6

I still highly doubt that people would opt for a bigger car just because they can afford one.

Granted Japan's fuel taxes are outrageous, but that's not why kei cars are popular. Yes, Europe's fuel taxes (among other things) are expensive, but cultural differences (as well as monetary means) make the supermini segment popular.

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on May 31, 2009, 01:53:17 PM
I still highly doubt that people would opt for a bigger car just because they can afford one.

Granted Japan's fuel taxes are outrageous, but that's not why kei cars are popular. Yes, Europe's fuel taxes (among other things) are expensive, but cultural differences (as well as monetary means) make the supermini segment popular.

I think you are partly right. In the past year I have gone on ten 500+ mile car trips, Europeans don't do that. While a small car (such as the Prelude) might be sufficiently sized for just me to go on a long trip, for a family it most certainly wouldn't work.

That said, you can't ignore the financial aspect of it, excessive taxation (on both petrol and displacement) is hardly an insignificant force in the European car market.

r0tor

Quote from: Minpin on May 24, 2009, 08:51:50 PM
I'll take....fuck it I'll walk thanks.

2014 is when used car prices start to increase rather then decrease....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

You shouldn't - just look at the top 10 seller list in the US. People don't like smaller cars if they can afford to drive bigger.

Have you ever been to Japan? Things are tight, but mostly their roads are just like ours. Also, it's getting so expensive to drive that there are millions in the 16 - 30 year old range that simply do not drive or have a car; they use scooters, small motorbikes or their parents' car(s).

Modern European economic culture is a byproduct of the mega tax rates and profound government intervention they've subjected themselves to since WWII. I used to work for a multi-national whereby the company leadership did tours of duty in the US; they came primarily from Germany, Austria and The Netherlands.

There were two distinct groups when it came to car purchases; those who went with the SUV route; Lexus RX, Explorer, and other midizers (but gigantic in European terms) and the snotty Euro nationalists; A6 and 5-series mostly. ALL were united in their euphoria to purchase and use regular-sized vehicles free from the specter of excessive taxation.

hotrodalex

Actually, it's mostly because parking is at a premium. It costs a lot to park, unless you have a kei car.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on May 31, 2009, 05:10:16 PM
You shouldn't - just look at the top 10 seller list in the US. People don't like smaller cars if they can afford to drive bigger.

Have you ever been to Japan? Things are tight, but mostly their roads are just like ours. Also, it's getting so expensive to drive that there are millions in the 16 - 30 year old range that simply do not drive or have a car; they use scooters, small motorbikes or their parents' car(s).

Modern European economic culture is a byproduct of the mega tax rates and profound government intervention they've subjected themselves to since WWII. I used to work for a multi-national whereby the company leadership did tours of duty in the US; they came primarily from Germany, Austria and The Netherlands.

There were two distinct groups when it came to car purchases; those who went with the SUV route; Lexus RX, Explorer, and other midizers (but gigantic in European terms) and the snotty Euro nationalists; A6 and 5-series mostly. ALL were united in their euphoria to purchase and use regular-sized vehicles free from the specter of excessive taxation.

Eh. I don't think that small cars will be the main attraction, but to deny the fact that they have no market here is utterly stupid.