I think the E65 7-series will be a classic

Started by sportyaccordy, May 26, 2009, 05:38:44 PM

ChrisV

of the E65/66 versions, I like the facelift ones better, as the scalloped lower headlights and correspondingly bubbled bumper skin are not proportional at the front, and the taillight layout wasn't proportional at the rear. The facelift versions smoothed out those two problem areas for me.

Compared to the E38, the E65/66 is a much softer cruiser car.

Still, vastly more complex electronically than even my E38 and going to be a real pain when they are reaching 150k miles.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on May 28, 2009, 10:03:25 AM
The E65 has a glass smooth ride?  Do you actually live on glass?  Because on roads it rides like shit. 

You don't know what you are talking about here. I' ve driven it several times and the ride is very good. Firmer than an S class. The Audi is harsher than either.

iDrive's initial execution wasn't that good, but we've been over this 1,000 times. In the lux market consumers demand more and more gadgets. A luxo-barge like this has literally thousands of functions. To have a button for everything is impossible ergonomically. BMW went too far on their initial iDrive iteration by eliminating stereo and A/C controls. However, by pushing the envelope, today we have frankly a GREAT iteration of iDrive in most BMWs.

Even the 2nd (or 3rd) gen on my E90 is very useable.

Ugly lies in the eye of the beholder. To me the 7 is a car with a lot of presence and sense of ocassion. Not beautiful however in the way that a Quattroporte is beautiful.

Quote from: NomisR on May 28, 2009, 11:44:15 AM
What they need to do is to make a M version of the 7 series.

It's called an Alpina B7. For this class of car, I think an Alpina makes a lot more sense than an M. Then again, we now have M SUVs so anything goes at BMW these days.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

Can you imagine how goofy a 4,400# large sedan would be with rock hard suspension and a jarring SMG box???? :wtf:

Minpin

A guy in my neighborhood has a new Alpina B7. It's ok I guess. I wouldn't have one, however. I don't really like the looks of it and see no need for a luxury sedan with that much horsepower. I would rather save the difference between a 7 and the Alpina and buy a Porsche....
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

CALL_911

Quote from: Minpin on May 28, 2009, 10:13:31 PM
A guy in my neighborhood has a new Alpina B7. It's ok I guess. I wouldn't have one, however. I don't really like the looks of it and see no need for a luxury sedan with that much horsepower. I would rather save the difference between a 7 and the Alpina and buy a Porsche....

Have you been inside one? My friend's dad has one, it's awesome. It's so comfortable, it looks awesome, it's powerful as hell and it even handles well. It's my idea of a perfect cruiser.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 28, 2009, 07:54:41 PM
Can you imagine how goofy a 4,400# large sedan would be with rock hard suspension and a jarring SMG box???? :wtf:

Less goofy than the X5 and X6 M cars will be.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 28, 2009, 10:16:27 PM
Have you been inside one? My friend's dad has one, it's awesome. It's so comfortable, it looks awesome, it's powerful as hell and it even handles well. It's my idea of a perfect cruiser.

I didn't even know they sold Alpinas in the US.  Evo just took a D3 into their fleet, and I was thinking that it would be cool if you could get a tuner BMW built from the factory and delivered to you with 0.0 miles on the odometer.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Minpin

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18759.msg1069825#msg1069825 date=1243571614
I didn't even know they sold Alpinas in the US.  Evo just took a D3 into their fleet, and I was thinking that it would be cool if you could get a tuner BMW built from the factory and delivered to you with 0.0 miles on the odometer.

Uh, no car gets delivered with 0.0, even if you order it from the factory straight to your house.

Raza

Quote from: Minpin on May 28, 2009, 10:34:27 PM
Uh, no car gets delivered with 0.0, even if you order it from the factory straight to your house.

In Europe, all Alpinas are delivered with 0.0 miles; when the cars get to Alpina, they reset the odometer before the owner drives it off. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Minpin

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 28, 2009, 10:16:27 PM

No, but I do know that if I was really into getting a fast luxury sedan I wouldn't have a BMW at all. I would give BMW the ole middle finger and swing by Mercedes and pick up a nice S 63.

But in reality if I was looking to blow 150k(with options) I would again get a nice S 550, and a Carrera instead.

Minpin

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18759.msg1069827#msg1069827 date=1243571713
In Europe, all Alpinas are delivered with 0.0 miles; when the cars get to Alpina, they reset the odometer before the owner drives it off. 

That is dumb, odd, and may be illegal....but they really don't deliver them with 0.0, they just let you think they have 0 miles on them.

hounddog

Quote from: Raza  on May 27, 2009, 10:00:47 PM
Acura Legend? 

Oh right, that car that was an Acura and they called it a Legend.  It was notable for have four wheels, seats, a steering wheel, and doors.  Legendary.  Ha!  No wonder.  I have posters of it on my wall.  Every month, there are Acura Legend fan club meetings in my area.  A bunch of guys getting together to check out each others' Legends, and they talk about politics and stuff like that. 
Quote from: Raza  on May 27, 2009, 10:09:55 PM
See, you only say they're bland because you're used to cars being so ugly that no one wants to make a car that looks like it.  You've forgotten what a good looking, cleanly designed car is.  Now ugly is distinctive, and therefore brands aspire to being as ugly as possible. 
Said the man who drives the most womanly car on this entire site.  :evildude:
:lol:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

CALL_911

Quote from: hounddog on May 28, 2009, 10:40:59 PM

It has a 2.0T.

If it had a 2.5, then we could make fun of him.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: hounddog on May 28, 2009, 10:40:59 PM

Says the man who thinks the X6 looks good. 

And the argument is neither creative, funny, nor interesting.  Remove the Jetta badge, and no one would think it girly.

:rolleyes:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 28, 2009, 10:41:43 PM
It has a 2.0T.

If it had a 2.5, then we could make fun of him.

Yes, who would want a torquey, decently quick car that seats five, has a big trunk, and returns 30mpg on the highway while being quite fun? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18759.msg1069847#msg1069847 date=1243572205
Yes, who would want a torquey, decently quick car that seats five, has a big trunk, and returns 30mpg on the highway while being quite fun? 

Hounddog wouldn't!!

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: Minpin on May 28, 2009, 10:39:16 PM
That is dumb, odd, and may be illegal....but they really don't deliver them with 0.0, they just let you think they have 0 miles on them.

Even so, before you pull out your "know-it-all" attitude, you should think that someone other than you knows what the fuck he's talking about, and ask a question like a fucking normal person rather than a douchebag with a lava lamp up his ass.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CALL_911

Quote from: Minpin on May 28, 2009, 10:39:16 PM
but they really don't deliver them with 0.0, they just let you think they have 0 miles on them.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hounddog

Quote from: Raza  on May 28, 2009, 10:42:14 PM
Says the man who thinks the X6 looks good. 

And the argument is neither creative, funny, nor interesting.  Remove the Jetta badge, and no one would think it girly.

Pull your tampon out and wipe it off.   :rolleyes:

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: Raza  on May 28, 2009, 10:46:01 PM
Even so, before you pull out your "know-it-all" attitude, you should think that someone other than you knows what the fuck he's talking about, and ask a question like a fucking normal person rather than a douchebag with a lava lamp up his ass.
Please see my above post.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

CALL_911

Quote from: hounddog on May 28, 2009, 10:48:33 PM
Pull your tampon out and wipe it off.   :rolleyes:

:growup:

I'm usually a sucker for jokes like that, but I'm in high school and kids look down upon people who make those jokes. In other words, fail.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: hounddog on May 28, 2009, 10:48:33 PM
Pull your tampon out and wipe it off.   :rolleyes:

Go fuck yourself, Tony.  I'm sick of your shit.  This is the second time you've popped into a thread just to insult me and my car and didn't comment on the topic at hand.  If you have a problem with me, be an adult and fucking suck it up.  Or whine about it and snipe at me like a fucking 12 year old.  Just don't expect me to take you seriously. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hounddog

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: Raza  on May 28, 2009, 10:54:13 PM
Go fuck yourself, Tony.  I'm sick of your shit.  This is the second time you've popped into a thread just to insult me and my car and didn't comment on the topic at hand.  If you have a problem with me, be an adult and fucking suck it up.  Or whine about it and snipe at me like a fucking 12 year old.  Just don't expect me to take you seriously. 
Awwwe.  Now I feel bad.  Raza does not take me seriously.   :cry:

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Raza

Quote from: hounddog on May 28, 2009, 10:54:18 PM

Hey, if you want to act like I'm the asshole because you pop into threads and insult me, then there's nothing I can do about it.  Well, I could do exactly what you do and see how you react.

Yeah, I think I'll try that one. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hounddog

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

the Teuton

I never drove the B7 Alpina even though our dealership had two of them at different times.  $117k is a lot to bear for a V8 7 Series.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on May 28, 2009, 11:41:36 PM
I never drove the B7 Alpina even though our dealership had two of them at different times.  $117k is a lot to bear for a V8 7 Series.
OUCH ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU CAN GET A USED 745i FOR 17K WOW!!!!!

I love these 7s though. They are luxurious without being boring.

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on May 28, 2009, 10:43:25 PM

I get 30 mpg on the highway with a 300hp 4.4 liter V8 and an even larger trunk and an even larger back seat. ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...