The Classless Cars

Started by SVT666, May 27, 2009, 05:51:29 PM

SVT666

Not classless as in "without class".  I mean classless as in "cars that transend societal classes".  I'm wondering what cars all of you think are cars that would see just about anyone from any of societies classes owning and driving.

SVT666

- The original Mini.
- The original VW Beetle
- 1964-1971 Mustang
- 2005+ Mustang

TBR

I take it you read Peter Egan's column last month.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 27, 2009, 05:51:29 PM
Not classless as in "without class".  I mean classless as in "cars that transend societal classes".  I'm wondering what cars all of you think are cars that would see just about anyone from any of societies classes owning and driving.

Among new/recent cars, I'd say anything retro and inexpensive (PT in its heyday, Mini, New Beetle), the Prius, and Chrysler minivans. The Explorer and Grand Cherokee would have been up there maybe 5-8 years ago, too.

2o6

Anything that is distinctively styled: xB, Beetle, and the like.

Midsizers: especially the Camry and Accord, and for some strange reason, in my area the Sebring. To a lesser extent, 300's are included.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Rich

MINI
Miata

Not even so sure about them since there is a class (maybe 2) that can't afford them new.

Another one I can think of is the BMW 1, but again, a couple classes may not be included

Edit - Mustang is a good one too
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on May 27, 2009, 06:06:15 PM
I disagree.

Sure, it's an upscale car, but everyone has them.  Everyone!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on May 27, 2009, 06:28:11 PM

Maybe lower-middle class, but not below that, unless you're counting all ages of car.

Another I forgot to mention: newish full-size pickups.

Rich

Quote from: ifcar on May 27, 2009, 06:30:25 PM
Another I forgot to mention: newish full-size pickups.

Bam!
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

the Teuton

Full-size SUVs.  Two people can have the same make and model car, but one will cost $35k or so and the other will cost somewhere close to $60k.

Payman

Payman

Prius, Mini, any VW, Cadillac, Miata, Corvette, most SUV's and high end pickups, Smart, Mustang Convertible, Sebring Convertible, Subaru Outback.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on May 27, 2009, 06:28:11 PM
3 series is not upscale. The base model is no more classy than a Civic EX-L.

*EDIT* The Civic actually has real leather.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 27, 2009, 06:59:01 PM
3 series is not upscale. The base model is no more classy than a Civic EX-L.

*EDIT* The Civic actually has real leather.

However, the badge has prestige. Whenever anyone I know (including me) sees a BMW in any iteration we automatically think that the person has a fair amount of change.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on May 27, 2009, 07:06:10 PM

However, the badge has prestige. Whenever anyone I know (including me) sees a BMW in any iteration we automatically think that the person has a fair amount of change.

A new one, I agree with you. You don't see any in trailer parks, and lower middle class families tend to buy mainstream Toyotas, Hondas and Chevys.

SVT666

Quote from: Payman on May 27, 2009, 06:55:22 PM
Prius, Mini, any VW, Cadillac, Miata, Corvette, most SUV's and high end pickups, Smart, Mustang Convertible, Sebring Convertible, Subaru Outback.
I agree with all except the Cadillac and the Corvette.  Their prices are way out of most people's budgets.

Onslaught

Quote from: Payman on May 27, 2009, 07:09:06 PM
A new one, I agree with you. You don't see any in trailer parks, and lower middle class families tend to buy mainstream Toyotas, Hondas and Chevys.
It's funny. On the way home from the beach this weekend in a poor little town I saw a run down trailer with a new 3 parked out front. It was all blinged out.

Onslaught

Quote from: 2o6 on May 27, 2009, 07:06:10 PM

Not the 1-Series. I think something other than that when I see one.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 28, 2009, 12:53:58 AM
I agree with all except the Cadillac and the Corvette.  Their prices are way out of most people's budgets.

Are we talking about all cars of the same age? Because you'll often see old Cadillacs and, even more commonly, Town Cars, in poorer neighborhoods.

Payman

Quote from: Onslaught on May 28, 2009, 04:31:52 AM
Not the 1-Series. I think something other than that when I see one.

I think "bitch". No idea why.

Northlands

Definitely Ford F-150's of the decade past.

The "New" Beetle or old Beetle.
Audi A4 ( we'll go with 1998-1999 ) I see them everywhere , rich or poor neighborhoods right now.
Toyota Prius
Corvettes
Mustangs of many model years

I'm sure a minivan would work its way in here somewhere. Sienna or Odyssey when it comes to hitting the most social classes I guess. Locally anyway.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Vinsanity

On the same token that Cadillac and BMW would qualify, I'd include Volvo as well

GoCougs

This is going back a bit, but the 1996 book The Millionaire Next Door showed that the most popular model with US millionaires was the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

My hunch is that the #1 model for the US's wealthy is now probably the F-150.

Rich people don't drive fancy cars, something many don't realize.

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on May 28, 2009, 09:11:33 AM
Rich people don't drive fancy cars, something many don't realize.

Rich people who live in modest, middle class areas don't drive fancy cars. Rich people who live in rich areas (a.k.a. my high school district) do drive fancy cars. Sure, not all of them do, but you can't drive around my area for very long before you start agreeing with me.

93JC

Quote from: GoCougs on May 28, 2009, 09:11:33 AM
This is going back a bit, but the 1996 book The Millionaire Next Door showed that the most popular model with US millionaires was the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

And before that, the Cherokee. And before that, the Wagoneer.

Raza

That book also considers "rich" in a very 1980s way. 

In Europe, it's the VW Golf.  Here, I think it's the Mustang.  As a car that represents America over the past 45 years, those who covet the Mustang will covet it regardless of finacial standing.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.