GM Crash Test video from 1968

Started by BimmerM3, May 28, 2009, 07:34:41 PM

ifcar

Also, you have decent survival chances even at a high-speed collision, and even when the car is totally flattened. This was a head-on and rollover (another car was on the wrong side of the road), and the driver survived:

sportyaccordy

ChrisV obviously no crash is better than any crash but for the average person considerations like safety, practicality, reliability trump whatever criterion you use to choose cars.

Lebowski

Quote from: Madman on May 28, 2009, 10:16:40 PM

Sadly, many people believed these lies.  One of them was my father.  He adamantly refused to wear a seat belt his entire life, saying that he didn't want to be trapped inside the car or that he'd rather be thrown from the car in the event of an accident.  Fortunately, he was never involved in a serious car crash, so he never had to put this hairbrained theory to the test.  But what about all the people who died because they were foolish enough to believe these lies and did have a serious crash?

I don't see how it's GM's fault that your dad was too stupid to wear a seatbelt. 

GoCougs

Quote from: ChrisV on May 29, 2009, 12:19:50 PM
And in any scenario you will fare better at 20 mph than at 70 mph, But you aren't driving 20 mph all the time, are you?

Again, you can what-if it to death. I spend my time making sure *I* am what keeps me from dying, so that I can drive anything without fear. I'm simply not scared that someone is going to kill me in my '63 Comet when I get it together.

Crash tests look horrible enough at 35 mph. At 75 mph, the equipment does this:

But you still think you're more safe than in an older car. No, you're just as dead.

The vast majority of crashes are not fatal however; 6MM accidents yet only ~31,000 deaths, or 0.5%. Further "injury" is not a binary situation; there is a continuous scale of severity.

You may be AJ Foyt, but you have zero control over 50% of the equation - the other driver.

I don't know where the energy is coming from. Drive what you like, but I think you're kidding yourself if you believe that you aren't far safer in a newer car when in an accident.

Morris Minor

On the other hand... small, lightweight unsafe cars emit far less CO2 because they don't have to drag around all that armor.

So we have a choice: die a hideous death wrecking a little lightweight car, or drive a safe car and die anyway when it causes Mother Earth to shrivel into a prune.
;)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on May 29, 2009, 02:16:04 PM
The vast majority of crashes are not fatal however; 6MM accidents yet only ~31,000 deaths, or 0.5%. Further "injury" is not a binary situation; there is a continuous scale of severity.

You may be AJ Foyt, but you have zero control over 50% of the equation - the other driver.

I don't know where the energy is coming from. Drive what you like, but I think you're kidding yourself if you believe that you aren't far safer in a newer car when in an accident.

As much as it pains me to say it, Cougs is right on this one.