Bicycles aren't pedestrians!

Started by S204STi, May 29, 2009, 11:00:49 PM

Byteme

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 01, 2009, 05:34:49 PM
I just thought it would have been more legitimate and way more courteous for him to use a - excuse me for being brash - DESIGNATED BIKE PATH instead of holding up traffic on the road.  That's like having a cyclist ride in the roadway instead of in the bike lane on the side.  Stupid.

It's not always about legality...sometimes it's about common sense and common courtesy.  This guy failed at both, it frustrated me, so I posted it in a relevant thread.

I thought it was on topic. :huh: :facepalm:

Way too many bike riders seem to believe they are morally superior to the common automobile driver, ar at least they act that way.  In Texas, and I believe this is true in most states, bicyclists are subject to the same laws as the cars and trucks they share the road with.  What I typically see however, are bicyclists who obey the laws only when it suits them.

sportyaccordy

Time and time again in NYC I see people biking on cell phones, without helmets, sometimes on brakeless fixed gears. Darwin wasn't lying I guess.

However you get cab drivers in the city speeding down bike lanes and stuff too. Like someone said there are idiots on both sides. However, you would think the bikers would be more careful in their own interest. I always wear my helmet & when I'm driving I do my best to respect the bike lane. It only makes sense.

ChrisV

Quote from: JWC on June 18, 2009, 04:32:21 AM
I watched a man ride up to a store on one, then GET up and walk into the store.  I guess 7-11 has some miraculous healing powers, maybe its the slurpees.  

They mount utility vehicle triangles on the back of them and ride up and down the streets all day long.

My dad has post-polio syndrome. He had polio when he was a child, and like a lot of people of that era who had polio to a degree, and were "cured," the degenerative nerve disease has come back. It will only get worse, and exercise only increases the nerve/muscle degeneration. It's getting harder and harder for him to walk large distances. He has a scooter to help get around for longer distances. He can't walk to a close store, but he can walk for a little bit in the store. No, the store does not have "miraculous healing powers" any more than a booth at a car swap meet does (which he loves to go to and look around at, even though he can no longer really work on cars like he used to). It's just for those short periods of time he can walk (he also has leg braces under his socks and pants).

Maybe you saw something similar, not just a lazy person.

Since they don't have sidewalks where he lives, but there is usually a bit of shoulder to the road, that's where he rides with his warning placard.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Tave

Quote from: R-inge on June 18, 2009, 08:14:40 AM
Does your town or city classify those as OHVs?

We had a couple of guys, looked like twin brothers in their 40s, who wore the same Broncos jackets and rode the same powered wheelchairs all over town in the bicycle lane.  I think they were also both mentally, you know... let's just say they weren't playing with a full deck of cards.  But they disappeared recently... I kept thinking those guys were going to get nailed one of these days.

Haha. I've seen one of those dudes tooling down College Ave. :lol:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rupert

Quote from: ChrisV on July 22, 2009, 07:21:07 AM
My dad has post-polio syndrome. He had polio when he was a child, and like a lot of people of that era who had polio to a degree, and were "cured," the degenerative nerve disease has come back. It will only get worse, and exercise only increases the nerve/muscle degeneration. It's getting harder and harder for him to walk large distances. He has a scooter to help get around for longer distances. He can't walk to a close store, but he can walk for a little bit in the store. No, the store does not have "miraculous healing powers" any more than a booth at a car swap meet does (which he loves to go to and look around at, even though he can no longer really work on cars like he used to). It's just for those short periods of time he can walk (he also has leg braces under his socks and pants).

Maybe you saw something similar, not just a lazy person.

Since they don't have sidewalks where he lives, but there is usually a bit of shoulder to the road, that's where he rides with his warning placard.

Indeed. There is a nearly infinite range of disabilities that put people in wheelchairs and scooters, and they aren't always obvious.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA