[rant] New Prius commercials.

Started by giant_mtb, June 07, 2009, 11:41:17 AM

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on June 07, 2009, 02:17:22 PM
I don't have a problem with hybrids, though I think they're overhyped.  And there's some question as to whether the disposal problems related to their batteries outweigh the benefit from their better gas mileage.  They're not quite as clean and green as they're billed to be.

My problem with them is more the sort of people who buy them -- phony, hypocritial, self-congratulatory posturers, in a lot of cases.  Many people buy them because they want to be part of a certain crowd, can't really think for themselves, and don't know or care whether the car really lives up to its environmmental billing.

People buy that hybrids are the saviors of mankind and the environment when they're just not so.  And they don't usually save anyone any money either. 

Although, at the low pricepoint of the Insight, they're becoming slightly more viable.  The true problem lies not with these smugmobiles, but with the next generation of smugmobiles: full electrics. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: omicron on June 09, 2009, 08:23:32 AM
Wanker is a very common term amongst the commonfolk here. Do substitute tosser, prick, fucktard et. al. as required.

I quite like the term tosser.  Wanker never caught on with me.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

I contend that anyone who doesn't want people to drive hybrids is:

a.) An idiot
b.) In the oil business
c.) Chrysler

Would it make you morons feel better if everyone drove 10 mpg Vipers so that gas could be $7 a gallon?

Guess what, not everybody likes cars! If you don't like cars, I'd like you to drive the most fuel efficient car possible. That means more for me and less for OPEC.

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 11, 2009, 07:24:02 AM

a.) An idiot
b.) In the oil business
c.) Chrysler

Would it make you morons feel better if everyone drove 10 mpg Vipers so that gas could be $7 a gallon?

Guess what, not everybody likes cars! If you don't like cars, I'd like you to drive the most fuel efficient car possible. That means more for me and less for OPEC.

d.) Wants better fuel efficient cars.  A Prius gets only around 8% better fuel economy than a Panda 100HP, yet costs 100% more (in the UK).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza  on June 11, 2009, 07:28:27 AM
d.) Wants better fuel efficient cars.  A Prius gets only around 8% better fuel economy than a Panda 100HP, yet costs 100% more (in the UK).

Well, we don't really have them.

I'd rather have someone go out and buy a Prius instead of a Tahoe.

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 11, 2009, 07:32:51 AM
Well, we don't really have them.

I'd rather have someone go out and buy a Prius instead of a Tahoe.

So would I.  Unless they really needed a Tahoe.  Like my local cops.  Idling by the side of a road requires the Tahoe's something ability. 

Anyway, that's an aside.  But yeah, while many people can find cars like the Tahoe useful (for what it's worth, I don't hate SUVs, and am going to buy one in the future), they drive them everyday when, they're really occasional use vehicles.  That comes down to people not being able to afford to run two cars (why don't you see people driving Ferraris to work everyday?  Because Ferrari owners can afford not to) or making the decision to buy permanently instead of renting temporarily.  Apparently the hassle of renting is worse than the hassle of filling up four times a week. 

I'm sorry, I kind of rambled there. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18870.msg1080424#msg1080424 date=1244726907

The Panda is also an A-segment car, whereas the Prius is a D-segment car. The Prius has much more space inside.

GoCougs

a.) An idiot
b.) In the oil business
c.) Chrysler

Yes, actually, and F-150s, and Escalades and Tundras and...

If hybrid owners really cared about the environment and/or their pocketbook they'd simply be a used Civic or Corolla.

Hybrids are a socio-political statement (= fail).

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on June 11, 2009, 10:02:44 AM

If hybrid owners really cared about the environment and/or their pocketbook they'd simply be a used Civic or Corolla.

You're an idiot and buy into the stereotype that is commonly associated with Hybrids.

People typically buy hybrids (versus a Midsizer of similar cost) to cut down on fuel costs.

You really would like people to drive inefficient, ill-handling, pigs just to stick it to the man?

You really need to stop smoking that happy crack............ :rastaman:

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on June 11, 2009, 09:53:32 AM
The Panda is also an A-segment car, whereas the Prius is a D-segment car. The Prius has much more space inside.

Not that much more. 

I'll dig up the comparison. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Morris Minor

I think hybrids are a much bigger neurosis in the United States than other countries, where they are allowed to use diesels.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Rupert

Quote from: Tave on June 08, 2009, 12:44:48 PM
2 geologists? Funny, the only Prius owner I know is also a geologist. Must be something in the water...

Well, the geology prof is obviously a geologist, and my boss has a geomorphology degree or two (I think), and, actually, the family friend has a geology degree, too.

That's 4/4!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on June 08, 2009, 08:38:44 PM
Is it possible for me to even be a lesbian?  If you mean to like women, sure.  I guess I'm a lesbian.

But BMW owners are dickheads.  That's irrefutable.

Yes; you're a woman.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

sandertheshark

Quote from: 2o6 on June 11, 2009, 10:06:54 AM

You're an idiot and buy into the stereotype that is commonly associated with Hybrids.

People typically buy hybrids (versus a Midsizer of similar cost) to cut down on fuel costs.

You really would like people to drive inefficient, ill-handling, pigs just to stick it to the man?

There are no midsizers of similar cost.

Every hybrid on the market costs several thousands more than a vehicle of similar dimensions and performance.  A base trim Prius costs almost $6k more than a Corolla XLE, just going off MSRP.  That's a lot for a 12mpg advantage.  To be nice I'll use the CA avg. gas price which was $2.92/gal last week.  That's still 210,240 miles to drive before you break even.  And you'll be lucky if the battery lasts that long.

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on June 11, 2009, 10:02:44 AM

Cougs, the market has spoken. And hybrids are a success.

2o6

Quote from: sandertheshark on June 11, 2009, 06:09:27 PM
There are no midsizers of similar cost.

Every hybrid on the market costs several thousands more than a vehicle of similar dimensions and performance.  A base trim Prius costs almost $6k more than a Corolla XLE, just going off MSRP.  That's a lot for a 12mpg advantage.  To be nice I'll use the CA avg. gas price which was $2.92/gal last week.  That's still 210,240 miles to drive before you break even.  And you'll be lucky if the battery lasts that long.

Yes there is:

The Camry starts at 19K, the Prius at 22K. Yes, the Prius is a bit smaller inside, but it still is classified as a Midsizer.

The Insight (although not a midsizer) is almost 2K cheaper than the Accord.

Quote from: Raza  on June 11, 2009, 11:16:24 AM
Not that much more. 

I'll dig up the comparison. 

A lot more space. For starters, the Panda only has four seats.

Raza

No one uses the fifth seat anyway. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

Quote from: Onslaught on June 11, 2009, 06:18:23 PM

Fair enough, but actually, only one hybrid is a success, and as we all know only because it looks different (i.e., easy means of self-validation).

The hybrid versions of the Camry, Highlander, Civic, Escape are market footnotes.

sandertheshark

Quote from: 2o6 on June 11, 2009, 06:56:27 PM

Yes there is:

The Camry starts at 19K, the Prius at 22K. Yes, the Prius is a bit smaller inside, but it still is classified as a Midsizer.

"A bit"?  Have you ever tried crawling in and out of the back seat of a Prius?  I have.  My own birth was more comfortable.

The Prius is a compact, I don't care what anyone says.  THAT'S WHY TOYOTA MAKES A CAMRY HYBRID.  For $26k.  Dumbass.

hounddog

a.) An idiot
b.) In the oil business
c.) Chrysler

That makes no sense.

You do know Chrysler was in the process of coming up with decent hybrids just like everyone else.  They just ran out of money before they could do much.

Had the Aspen come along with about 2,000lbs more towing capacity in their hybrid I would have traded my Durango in on one. 

They are also putting a Ram hybrid out, among others. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on June 11, 2009, 10:58:29 PM
Fair enough, but actually, only one hybrid is a success, and as we all know only because it looks different (i.e., easy means of self-validation).

The hybrid versions of the Camry, Highlander, Civic, Escape are market footnotes.
Go ahead and add the new Honda Insight. We all know it will do well after car sales start to improve.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on June 12, 2009, 05:51:15 AM
Go ahead and add the new Honda Insight. We all know it will do well after car sales start to improve.

The Insight is actually affordable though, right?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18870.msg1081708#msg1081708 date=1244824864
The Insight is actually affordable though, right?

They're both affordable. The Prius is 22K, the Insight is 19K.

TBR

Quote from: Onslaught on June 11, 2009, 06:18:23 PM

Only if Toyota is making money on them and I am not convinced that they are. I think it's probably more of a marketing statement than anything, to distract people from all those SUVs and trucks they sell.

2o6

Quote from: TBR on June 12, 2009, 04:08:25 PM
Only if Toyota is making money on them and I am not convinced that they are. I think it's probably more of a marketing statement than anything, to distract people from all those SUVs and trucks they sell.

Toyota is making a fair amount of money on each one. The 2nd Gens (Echo-like ones) IIRC were sold at a loss.

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on June 12, 2009, 04:10:08 PM
Toyota is making a fair amount of money on each one. The 2nd Gens (Echo-like ones) IIRC were sold at a loss.

Source?

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on June 12, 2009, 04:11:24 PM
Ok, ifcar.

You can't just make a statement and expect people to believe you.

2o6

Quote from: TBR on June 12, 2009, 04:12:54 PM
You can't just make a statement and expect people to believe you.

Check it out.