Comparison review: subcompact 5-doors

Started by ifcar, June 07, 2009, 01:45:36 PM

ifcar

QuoteIn the week it spent with the DC Car Examiner, the new 2010 Kia Soul Sport impressed for its handling and interior space but didn't demonstrate the highest levels of power, refinement or fuel economy.

But do any similar cars do a better job?

Continued at link:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1017-DC-Car-Examiner~y2009m6d7-Comparison-review-six-subcompact-hatchbacks-Introduction

Nethead

ifcar:  Would a Mini Clubman qualify for consideration in this size/style of car?
So many stairs...so little time...

ifcar

Quote from: Nethead on June 08, 2009, 12:17:48 PM
ifcar:  Would a Mini Clubman qualify for consideration in this size/style of car?

I would be inclined to say no.

Vinsanity

This is how I would personally rank them:
(preliminary, at least)

1. Nissan Cube (it seems best suited to what I would use a small box car for: urban commuting)
2. Kia Soul
3. Honda Fit
4. Scion XD
5. Suzuki SX4
6. Chevy Aveo

the Teuton

I refuse to click on the link.  How did he rank them?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Tave

Quote from: the Teuton on June 08, 2009, 01:12:14 PM

The ranking isn't out yet. This was the intro.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on June 08, 2009, 01:12:14 PM
:rolleyes:
If you don't care enough to make him a couple of cents by looking at the site then why do you care what the rankings are?

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on June 08, 2009, 01:32:56 PM
:rolleyes:
If you don't care enough to make him a couple of cents by looking at the site then why do you care what the rankings are?

I don't include only a link because I need the pennies. It's so I don't have to do page formatting twice.

TBR

Quote from: ifcar on June 08, 2009, 01:41:12 PM
I don't include only a link because I need the pennies. It's so I don't have to do page formatting twice.

I am not blaming you or anything, I just don't understand why teuton won't simply click the link and find the answer for his own question.

As a fellow poor college student, I am more than happy to help you out all I can.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on June 08, 2009, 01:45:42 PM
I am not blaming you or anything, I just don't understand why teuton won't simply click the link and find the answer for his own question.

As a fellow poor college student, I am more than happy to help you out all I can.

Well, thank you. Pennies do add up. :ohyeah:

ifcar

Sixth place: Pontiac G3

To anyone following the subcompact car market, the last-place finish of the Pontiac G3 is probably not a surprise. Pontiac is a lame duck brand; General Motors has already announced it will die. The new G3 is nearly identical to the Chevrolet Aveo5, which dates to 2004 without a full redesign. And the Aveo has been criticized since it was new for mediocre interior quality, relatively little cargo space, and unexceptional gas mileage.

With all that going against it, how could the G3 possibly beat more modern competitors?

It actually comes surprisingly close...

Continued at link:
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1017-DC-Car-Examiner~y2009m6d8-Comparison-review-six-subcompact-hatchbacks-Sixth-place

Vinsanity

$16 grand? LOL.

They're going to be selling these things for barely more than half the price as they languish on dealer lots.

93JC

Quote from: ifcar on June 08, 2009, 02:23:37 PM
the Aveo has been criticized since it was new for mediocre interior quality

:confused:

The Aveo/Wave/Swift+ has, since the facelift, arguably had the best interior quality of any subcompact.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on June 08, 2009, 03:20:38 PM
:confused:

The Aveo/Wave/Swift+ has, since the facelift, arguably had the best interior quality of any subcompact.

In context, I was talking about mistaken stereotypes based on earlier models. That paragraph also discusses formerly low gas mileage that has improved to beat out the Fit's. Despite some assembly issues, I'd agree that the G3/Aveo interior is now among the best of the subcompacts, and I think I made that clear later.

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 08, 2009, 03:12:29 PM
$16 grand? LOL.

They're going to be selling these things for barely more than half the price as they languish on dealer lots.

Not necessarily. There's little room between invoice and sticker on the Aveo and G3, and I don't know that they're that desperate to unload them. Aveo sales have been acceptably brisk and there just aren't that many G3s in existence to represent a glut of inventory.

USA_Idol

Quote from: ifcar on June 08, 2009, 02:23:37 PM
Sixth place: Pontiac G3

You know, I have to admit...the Pontiac styling cues actually work.  It's ever so slightly better-looking than its Chevy version.  It's an extremely minor difference, but there it is.   :huh:

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: NACar on June 08, 2009, 04:06:07 PM
And in forty-seventh place:

What brings that up?

-----------------

30MPG for a subcompact is good!? There are some serious problems with this segment.

Raza

30mpg is seriously weak for a car that size.  My car gets higher than that, and I've got 200 horsepower!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on June 08, 2009, 04:10:31 PM

30MPG for a subcompact is good!? There are some serious problems with this segment.

Under the old EPA standard, that would be 34. Not weak at all.

Quote from: Raza  on June 08, 2009, 04:15:49 PM
30mpg is seriously weak for a car that size.  My car gets higher than that, and I've got 200 horsepower!

Your car is rated for 25.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on June 08, 2009, 04:18:51 PM
Under the old EPA standard, that would be 34. Not weak at all.

Your car is rated for 25.

Bah, I read highway in that number somewhere, not mixed.  That isn't bad then. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: ifcar on June 08, 2009, 03:29:43 PM
Not necessarily. There's little room between invoice and sticker on the Aveo and G3, and I don't know that they're that desperate to unload them. Aveo sales have been acceptably brisk and there just aren't that many G3s in existence to represent a glut of inventory.

Aren't that many G3's in existence?!  Apparently you missed the memo.  At the rate G3's were selling a little while back, they had enough inventory at dealers that they could stop production and it would take 2 years to sell them all.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

ifcar

Quote from: MrH on June 08, 2009, 04:21:55 PM
Aren't that many G3's in existence?!  Apparently you missed the memo.  At the rate G3's were selling a little while back, they had enough inventory at dealers that they could stop production and it would take 2 years to sell them all.

They sell slowly, but there also aren't all that many in existence.

For example, my local dealer has three. Those three might be there for the next 18 months, but 3 cars isn't a glut.

On a national scale, Pontiac is moving about 250-500 G3s a month. That leads to excess inventory, because they expected to sell maybe 1,000 a month. But the number of actual cars was never high.

MrH

Quote from: ifcar on June 08, 2009, 04:25:50 PM
They sell slowly, but there also aren't all that many in existence.

For example, my local dealer has three. Those three might be there for the next 18 months, but 3 cars isn't a glut.

On a national scale, Pontiac is moving about 250-500 G3s a month. That leads to excess inventory, because they expected to sell maybe 1,000 a month. But the number of actual cars was never high.

When a car is selling that slow, any on the lot seems like a ton of inventory.

I consider 2 years worth of inventory to be a "glut".
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

the Teuton

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

Quote from: MrH on June 08, 2009, 04:34:12 PM
When a car is selling that slow, any on the lot seems like a ton of inventory.

I consider 2 years worth of inventory to be a "glut".

It's only based on previous selling rates, which can fluctuate drastically when volume is so low. If my Pontiac dealer sold three G3s, they would go from 2 years to 0 days of inventory.

Again, what I said was that there weren't very many G3s in existence. That's still true. It's something like 6,000 total. It's not like an inventory problem with a high-volume car, like the overflowing dockyards.

2o6

MrH

Quote from: ifcar on June 08, 2009, 04:36:50 PM
It's only based on previous selling rates, which can fluctuate drastically when volume is so low. If my Pontiac dealer sold three G3s, they would go from 2 years to 0 days of inventory.

Again, what I said was that there weren't very many G3s in existence. That's still true. It's something like 6,000 total. It's not like an inventory problem with a high-volume car, like the overflowing dockyards.

There is nothing to indicate that sales will speed up anytime soon unless there are some serious incentives.

Having 2 years worth of product sitting around is a serious inventory problem.  Past sales is the only thing you have to rely on when it comes to how desperate they are to sell them, and based on that, I think they'll definitely be pushing some huge incentives on them soon.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited