Comparison review: subcompact 5-doors

Started by ifcar, June 07, 2009, 01:45:36 PM

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on June 10, 2009, 05:38:03 PM
Nothing but tires can help with braking in such conditions.  Cornering is largely aided by tires, as well, but drive wheels do have a factor in terms of the car's cornering ability.

Only if you're actually on the power while turning.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on June 10, 2009, 03:25:46 PM
Have you ever driven an AWD vehicle in winter conditions?

I'm not asking about how you've managed or even thrived with FWD or RWD.  I am asking if you've ever driven an AWD car in winter in icy, snowy roads.

Yes.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18872.msg1080171#msg1080171 date=1244685383
Yes.

It's pretty awesome to just punch it off the line and have all four tires dig into the snow while the rest of traffic is barely able to move.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on June 10, 2009, 07:58:11 PM
It's pretty awesome to just punch it off the line and have all four tires dig into the snow while the rest of traffic is barely able to move.

It's nice, I guess.  But I wouldn't get an AWD car for everyday use.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18872.msg1080177#msg1080177 date=1244685690
It's nice, I guess.  But I wouldn't get an AWD car for everyday use.

You need a winter/rally beater.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on June 10, 2009, 07:58:11 PM

The feeling of your car wiggling a little and grabbing ahold to take off is pretty cool.  Mechanical diffs are still pretty smart.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on June 10, 2009, 03:25:46 PM
Have you ever driven an AWD vehicle in winter conditions?

I'm not asking about how you've managed or even thrived with FWD or RWD.  I am asking if you've ever driven an AWD car in winter in icy, snowy roads.

Yes.  And a 2WD vehicle (front or rear, doesn't matter) with proper snow tires will blow an AWD vehicle with all-seasons out of the water.  And yes, on that same note, an Outback with Blizzaks is damn near unstoppable.  Tires are what help with cornering and braking in snow, not propulsion.

Being that most people don't run separate summer tires and winter tires (I haven't the last two years), I'll concede that AWD is a compelling feature, especially with lightweight cars such as these.

And back to the cars, I can't help but like the styling of the Nissan Cube.  I always have, and I can't explain it.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on June 10, 2009, 08:04:08 PM
You need a winter/rally beater.

It's on the list.  It'll likely be an SUV though, and probably unreliable and built by Land Rover.  That way it can be a weather and hauling car. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Third place: Scion xD

QuoteIn most ways, the Scion xD is simply acceptable by the class standards, nothing more. It?s rarely a standout for positive or for negative characteristics. It?s rather stiff-riding and noisy, like most of its competitors. It holds four passengers in acceptable but unexceptional comfort, like most of its competitors. It displays no cleverness in its design, but few ?what were they thinking?? flaws.

There are just three key aspects of the xD that are even moderately distinguished from the competition, for better and for worse...

Continued at link:
http://www.examiner.com/x-1017-DC-Car-Examiner~y2009m6d12-Comparison-review-Six-subcompact-hatchbacks-Third-place

USA_Idol

Quote from: ifcar on June 12, 2009, 08:46:28 AM
Third place: Scion xD

It's okay.  Nothing special to drive.  But I have to admit...I actually like the styling. 

Raza

These little cars are so fucking expensive.  Again, I see myself in a CPO Rabbit instead of one of these guys. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on June 12, 2009, 10:27:33 AM
These little cars are so fucking expensive.  Again, I see myself in a CPO Rabbit instead of one of these guys. 

If you're going used, you could always get a used car that was less expensive new.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on June 12, 2009, 10:29:43 AM
If you're going used, you could always get a used car that was less expensive new.

Well, I was basing it around the pricepoint of 15-19K. 

I mean, as always, I understand why people buy these cars.  Either they're funky or cute (or the buyers are slightly deranged, :lol: ).  A new car warranty is very appealing, as well, which is why I made a point to mention a CPO Rabbit, which would have a warranty as well.  I can see the appeal in a new car, even at this price.  I'm just saying that I wouldn't buy one of these. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on June 12, 2009, 10:34:50 AM
Well, I was basing it around the pricepoint of 15-19K. 

I mean, as always, I understand why people buy these cars.  Either they're funky or cute (or the buyers are slightly deranged, :lol: ).  A new car warranty is very appealing, as well, which is why I made a point to mention a CPO Rabbit, which would have a warranty as well.  I can see the appeal in a new car, even at this price.  I'm just saying that I wouldn't buy one of these. 

Doesn't look like you can get the 5-door Rabbit with the stickshift though, unless that's a recent change.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on June 12, 2009, 10:39:58 AM
Doesn't look like you can get the 5-door Rabbit with the stickshift though, unless that's a recent change.

It is.  The 2009 5 door is the first one to not have a stick.  Before, the only way to get a stickshift/sunroof combination was to get the 5 door, but they added the sunroof recently to the 3 door. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on June 12, 2009, 10:27:33 AM

I agree. Once upon a time, the Nissan Cube piqued my interest, but when I priced one at almost $17k, I realized I can almost get a 2007 Maxima for the same money.

2o6

What is with the sensation of manufacturers not giving their 5-door models 5-speeds? You can't get an MT shift in a Yaris 5-door, but you can get one on the Sedan. Same with the 5-door Rabbit and GTI. What is with that?

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on June 12, 2009, 04:17:31 PM
What is with the sensation of manufacturers not giving their 5-door models 5-speeds? You can't get an MT shift in a Yaris 5-door, but you can get one on the Sedan. Same with the 5-door Rabbit and GTI. What is with that?

I'm going to guess it's because no one buys them.

Also, I don't think two examples counts as a "sensation."

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on June 12, 2009, 04:21:15 PM
I'm going to guess it's because no one buys them.

Also, I don't think two examples counts as a "sensation."

It's two too many.

I want a Yaris 5-door MT.......If I ever get any money, that is.

Xer0

My friend has an 08 XD and personally, I don't like it.  It looks nice, and he picked this fantastic orange color for it, but its just so small on the inside and drives like ass pretty much.

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on June 12, 2009, 04:24:06 PM

It's two too many.

Isn't the xD pretty much the same thing?

2o6

Quote from: TBR on June 12, 2009, 04:25:16 PM
Isn't the xD pretty much the same thing?

Bigger engine, different suspension, heavier, uglier.

the Teuton

And on stilts, it's called the Toyota Urban Cruiser over in Europe.

Minpin

The interior in the xD is a lot nicer than my tC. My girlfriend has one, it's pleasant inside.  :huh:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on June 12, 2009, 04:24:06 PM

It's two too many.

What compels you to prefer one over a Fit or Versa? Those are already available in the 5-door/stickshift combo, aren't they?

TBR

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 12, 2009, 04:44:37 PM
What compels you to prefer one over a Fit or Versa? Those are already available in the 5-door/stickshift combo, aren't they?

Fits probably a lot more expensive.

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 12, 2009, 04:44:37 PM

Styling, and the Fit costs more. I think the elongated nose on the US fit makes the car look awkward. And the Versa looks really boring.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on June 12, 2009, 04:17:31 PM

The GTI 5 door always has and currently does come standard with a six speed shift-it-yourself transmission.  The lack of 5MT on the Rabbit "4 door" is a new thing. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i