How Fast can your car go?

Started by 2o6, June 07, 2009, 06:17:18 PM

CALL_911

1992 Legacy: I've had it to 75 mph. That wasn't pretty. :lol:
'08 535xi: I've had it at 115, it was ridiculously stable, it felt like it was at 75 or so. Could easily do a lot more, governed at 150.
'07 A4 2.0Tq: I've had it at 100, again, ridiculously stable and felt like it could go for more. Supposedly is governed at 130.
'06 TSX: 80. I haven't driven this car on enough long drives for me to go faster than that. God knows what its top speed is.

Note: These are all my parents cars (the TSX is my sister's but since Dad paid for it, it's therefore one of their cars), but they're really the only cars I drive

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on June 08, 2009, 08:23:32 PM
Higher speed rated tires also tend to be built somewhat better and/or have a higher load rating than lower speed rated tires, but then again that may be bullcrap.

I've never been faster than 100 indicated in my car, but it will apparently do around 150ish (limited maybe?).  Someday if I have a chance to do it safely on new tires I'll let you know.

Even with the 2.5, I'd be surprised to see a stock WRX make 150mph; the AWD and drag certainly won't help it at high speeds.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

I did 95 going up to 100, had visions of my flimsy car getting smashed into a two dimensional plane, and then backed down to 85. My tires were really crappy back then, so it's probably for the best.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Raza  on June 08, 2009, 10:25:22 PM
Even with the 2.5, I'd be surprised to see a stock WRX make 150mph; the AWD and drag certainly won't help it at high speeds.

I've taken a 2008 Auto WRX sedan to 120mph and it got there in a hurry. I'm pretty sure it was pulling stronger than my RSX-S up there but it could be because they both deliver it differently.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

SVT_Power

Quote from: The Pirate on June 08, 2009, 03:28:46 PM
Z-rated simply implies 149+ mph, I believe.  It's broken down further by other letters - W is 168 mph, Y is 186 mph, etc.

And my car has W-rated tires - 168 mph.  :praise:  If only it would go that fast...

I've got W-rated tires - a good idea since I actually get above the basic Z rating  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

I don't really understand how the SVT gets to 150+mph. It's only got 200 hp...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Laconian

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 09, 2009, 12:55:35 AM
I've got W-rated tires - a good idea since I actually get above the basic Z rating  :lol:
MPH, not KPH.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT_Power

Quote from: Laconian on June 09, 2009, 12:57:14 AM
MPH, not KPH.

:facepalm:

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 07, 2009, 07:27:33 PM
Explorer - 100 mph (limited there)

t3h svt - almost 150 mph (high 140's)  <-- factory said it only went to 142 mph or something like that, actual figure is about mid 150s

Xer0

95 Civic Ex 4sp auto - I got this to about 105 going down on I-53 toward UIUC.  It was shacking and rattling like a mess by that time and I doubt I could have gotten it any faster, maybe 110; 115 if I caught  nice wind.

08 Civic 5sp auto - 85 going toward Minnesota for a Bears game.  This feels a lot more stable than my old Civic and it certainly gets up there faster, I'm kinda curious on what it would top out at.

Those two are my cars, as for my parents...

05 Accord 4 cyl - 85 on some highway in Maryland.  I really like the engine thats in the Accord, its smooth and feels deceptively powerful, it also got the car there in a hurry.  Sure, there was road noise a plenty, but none of it came from the engine.

10 GLK - 70 going into the city - We just got this like last week (I've been planning on posting pics and a short road test/impressions some time this week, but I'm painfully lazy) so I have't really opened it up but its really stable and you just don't feel the speed creeping up at all.  It feels pretty powerful too.

SVT_Power

Argh I want to see what the actual top speed of my car is... I mean I was less than 10 mph away. Forget that, like 5 mph away.

One day. Soon.

AltinD

Quote from: 2o6 on June 08, 2009, 04:29:02 PM

Why do you have W-rated tires? What's the point? Do you have an aftermarket setup, or is that factory?

My 115 HP, 122 MPH previous car (the one i posted) came from factory with W tires. My current 250 HP, 154 MPH car has Y tires.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

2o6

Quote from: AltinD on June 09, 2009, 09:00:49 AM
My 115 HP, 122 MPH previous car (the one i posted) came from factory with W tires. My current 250 HP, 154 MPH car has Y tires.

Well, that makes sense, because to save on costs. Maybe the 3.2L or W8 could use those ratings, and the tires would possibly simplify production.

The protege doesn't make sense, because it can't reach those speeds in any iteration.

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on June 09, 2009, 10:06:36 AM
Well, that makes sense, because to save on costs. Maybe the 3.2L or W8 could use those ratings, and the tires would possibly simplify production.
I would be shocked if either the W8 or VR6 wore the same size tires as the base 2.0l variant.

r0tor

The protege doesn't make sense, because it can't reach those speeds in any iteration.

in a Mazda zoom-z00m sense it makes perfect sense
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Quote from: TBR on June 09, 2009, 10:26:57 AM
I would be shocked if either the W8 or VR6 wore the same size tires as the base 2.0l variant.

Did you see AltinD's 2.0L? I've seen that same wheel and tire combo on the 1.8T, VR6 and W8.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 565 on June 08, 2009, 03:00:12 PM
:confused:  What?  That's about the trap speed of your car at the end of the 1/4 mile.  Yeah we have to be safe and responsible but you gotta open up the taps on your C6 at least once.

Maybe he was worried his roof might fly off at those speeds.

2o6

TBR

Ah, missed one. Nonetheless, same wheels != same tires.

Byteme

1969 E-type 2+2

Top speed would have been about 142, drag limited (according to period road tests).  I've had it as fast as about 125 MPH, It felt very stable at that speed.  I've cruised at 100-105 with the only worry being the cops.

cozmik

My 330xi should be good to 155 as it's equipped with the sports package. Weather that's gear limited or electronic I don't know. Gearing overall seems a bit short on it. I've had it up to 130 so far, and it was still pulling hard. I thought my 9-3 was stable at speed, but this one is even more so.

I had my 9-3 topped out at a hair under 145. I'm not sure if it would have gone faster or not, as I ran out of road to try it with. Felt pretty good at that speed, but the Aero body kits definitely helps with stability at speed a lot.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Byteme

I've also had our 2007 Mazda 6 up to 110 in Wyoming and it had some legs left.  Might be good for 115-120.   Speed was measured with both the Speedometer and GPS.  I didn't go faster because my wife in the passenger seat woke up and asked why I was going so fast.

The Pirate

You can't look at it solely in terms of speed.  It's true that the speed rating is higher than any Proteg? will likely achieve, but tires with a high speed rating are also going to offer increased performance in cornering and braking abilities.  While my car doesn't have a high top speed, it will easily maintain a relatively high speed through a cloverleaf.  Why?  Tires (and the suspension geometry, but mostly tires).

And like I said, I run the Kumho Ecsta ASX.  It's a high performance tire that happens to be available for a reasonable price in the size I need.  As mentioned previously, by nature of that size, most tires that will fit my car are of a higher performance nature and carry a V or W rating.  And again, said tires offer a high threshold in grip, which increases the cornering and braking capabilities of the car.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on June 08, 2009, 10:25:22 PM

Maybe you're right, but the car has no lack of grunt, particularly with the map I'm running.  I was hitting 15psi on the upramps yesterday, but I'll probably never know for sure.

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 08, 2009, 09:25:09 PM
1992 Legacy: I've had it to 75 mph. That wasn't pretty. :lol:

My 94 cruised fairly well at up to 90mph.  Took keeping my foot in it to keep it there, but it was fine doing it.

Quote from: Byteme on June 09, 2009, 11:43:27 AM
I've also had our 2007 Mazda 6 up to 110 in Wyoming and it had some legs left.  Might be good for 115-120.   Speed was measured with both the Speedometer and GPS.  I didn't go faster because my wife in the passenger seat woke up and asked why I was going so fast.

lmao!

TBR

Quote from: The Pirate on June 09, 2009, 12:18:10 PM
You can't look at it solely in terms of speed.  It's true that the speed rating is higher than any Proteg? will likely achieve, but tires with a high speed rating are also going to offer increased performance in cornering and braking abilities.  While my car doesn't have a high top speed, it will easily maintain a relatively high speed through a cloverleaf.  Why?  Tires (and the suspension geometry, but mostly tires).

And like I said, I run the Kumho Ecsta ASX.  It's a high performance tire that happens to be available for a reasonable price in the size I need.  As mentioned previously, by nature of that size, most tires that will fit my car are of a higher performance nature and carry a V or W rating.  And again, said tires offer a high threshold in grip, which increases the cornering and braking capabilities of the car.

How are they holding up? Those are definitely in the running for my next set of tires.

r0tor

I did 105mph yesterday without even a second thought... some douche in an automatic eclipse gs with a fart pipe was flying like hell weaving in and out of traffic and came very close to hitting me.  I got angered, romped on it, passed him, and extended my entire arm out the window and proceeded to flip him off in a grand fashion followed by a rev of my engine and a good 'ol rotary backfire

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 09, 2009, 11:02:54 AM
Maybe he was worried his roof might fly off at those speeds.
LOW BLOW!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on June 09, 2009, 01:30:50 PM
I did 105mph yesterday without even a second thought... some douche in an automatic eclipse gs with a fart pipe was flying like hell weaving in and out of traffic and came very close to hitting me.  I got angered, romped on it, passed him, and extended my entire arm out the window and proceeded to flip him off in a grand fashion followed by a rev of my engine and a good 'ol rotary backfire

wow your and ass
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 09, 2009, 01:15:40 PM
How are they holding up? Those are definitely in the running for my next set of tires.

Same here.  $70 cheaper per corner than the RE960AS Pole Positions I am also considering.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on June 09, 2009, 03:05:02 PM
Same here.  $70 cheaper per corner than the RE960AS Pole Positions I am also considering.

The other tire on my list is Yokohoma Avid A4S, but even they are $20 more expensive per tire.