How Fast can your car go?

Started by 2o6, June 07, 2009, 06:17:18 PM

S204STi

Funny, I was also thinking of those tires today on my way to DIA again.  (My current tires are kinda choppy from a bad alignment, so I'm ready for them to wear out.)  I guess, really, if you can find a tire that performs on par with pricier rubber for a lower price you might as well.  Really, with any wear item it seems to be most practical to buy whatever you can get for the best price without a discernable difference in quality.  I guess that's the definition of Value, really.

NomisR

Elise caps out at 149mph I think and I've gone about 123ish or so at WSIR.  Wasn't payment close attention since I was passing on a turn but looks to be around there. 

Not sure what the top speed is for the RSX but I've gone about 100, on it.. was afraid of a ticket so I slowed down.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Raza  on June 09, 2009, 03:05:02 PM
Same here.  $70 cheaper per corner than the RE960AS Pole Positions I am also considering.

That tire was on my short list but I decided against it because its a heavy tire, something like 3lbs heavier per than my stock Michellins.

I went with Yokohama Advan S.4's but I don't know if that was such a good idea either. I've already had a pair warranty replaced due to wicked vibration, and the remaining "good" tires all still exhibit a slight shudder at speeds despite being balanced to <0.15g.

I'm going to see what its like living with them now (bad ones just replaced yesterday) but I might just end up buying some Michellin Pilot Sport A/S's and selling these Yokos.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

The Pirate

Quote from: TBR on June 09, 2009, 01:15:40 PM
How are they holding up? Those are definitely in the running for my next set of tires.

I've never had any tire other than the ASX (KU21) on this car.  Taking price into consideration, it seems to be the best all-around tire for my needs.  I'm on my second set.  It's not the longest lasting tire out there.  With normal driving styles, you'll probably see 30K miles or so.  They are okay with an inch or two of snow - anything more than that and they are abysmal.  Probably not an issue for you, and they aren't advertised as regular all-seasons, so it's not a surprise.  The tires have fantastic dry lateral grip.  They respond well to progressive turn in, they upset easily if you're abrupt.  Wet grip is also an area where people say it falls short.  I've never had any issues here, but I don't drive like a bonehead when the roads are wet.  They don't hydroplane and are perfectly stable with sane driving in my experience.  I've heard that they slip a bit more than their competitors initially on hard acceleration, though I rarely launch hard and I'm not dealing with massive amounts of power, so it's not an issue for me.  Most people mention that they have a bit more road noise than a standard tire.  The Proteg? is a loud car, so this isn't anything that I've really noticed.  I'd say it's probably worth the increase in grip that you'll see.  They have this trick rim protector too - the sidewall of the tire actually extends out past the edge of the wheel.  It definitely works.

In your size, I'd also look at the Yokohama AVID V4S.  It's $20 more per tire than the ASX from tirerack.com.  I've no experience with that tire, so I don't know if it's worth the premium, but it is rated higher than the KU21.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TBR

Quote from: The Pirate on June 09, 2009, 07:46:12 PM
I've never had any tire other than the ASX (KU21) on this car.  Taking price into consideration, it seems to be the best all-around tire for my needs.  I'm on my second set.  It's not the longest lasting tire out there.  With normal driving styles, you'll probably see 30K miles or so.  They are okay with an inch or two of snow - anything more than that and they are abysmal.  Probably not an issue for you, and they aren't advertised as regular all-seasons, so it's not a surprise.  The tires have fantastic dry lateral grip.  They respond well to progressive turn in, they upset easily if you're abrupt.  Wet grip is also an area where people say it falls short.  I've never had any issues here, but I don't drive like a bonehead when the roads are wet.  They don't hydroplane and are perfectly stable with sane driving in my experience.  I've heard that they slip a bit more than their competitors initially on hard acceleration, though I rarely launch hard and I'm not dealing with massive amounts of power, so it's not an issue for me.  Most people mention that they have a bit more road noise than a standard tire.  The Proteg? is a loud car, so this isn't anything that I've really noticed.  I'd say it's probably worth the increase in grip that you'll see.  They have this trick rim protector too - the sidewall of the tire actually extends out past the edge of the wheel.  It definitely works.

In your size, I'd also look at the Yokohama AVID V4S.  It's $20 more per tire than the ASX from tirerack.com.  I've no experience with that tire, so I don't know if it's worth the premium, but it is rated higher than the KU21.

Quote from: TBR on June 09, 2009, 04:31:21 PM
The other tire on my list is Yokohoma Avid A4S, but even they are $20 more expensive per tire.

Great minds do think alike after all!

The Pirate

Quote from: TBR on June 09, 2009, 07:52:22 PM
Great minds do think alike after all!

Hehehe.  The other one I really like is the Bridgestone Potenza G019.  I don't know if that's available in your size, or if it's priced competitively, but it's a good tire too.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Cookie Monster

Apparently the Accord does 128 but I've only had it up to 100.

The MDX, 115 maybe, but I've only had it up to 80.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on June 08, 2009, 06:59:09 PM

Gixxer: this is touchy I saw an indicated 165mph. But I've read the sportbike speedos are known to read kinda high on the top end.  :huh:
I just rode past one of those roadside radar machines. The Gixxer showed 50mph,but the radar showed 42mph. Maybe the previous owner went 1 down on the front sporket.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

omicron

Quote from: Byteme on June 09, 2009, 11:17:19 AM
1969 E-type 2+2

Top speed would have been about 142, drag limited (according to period road tests).  I've had it as fast as about 125 MPH, It felt very stable at that speed.  I've cruised at 100-105 with the only worry being the cops.

That would easily be the most marvellous event of all mentioned thus far.

saxonyron

I've only had the A6 up to an indicated 110mph which is more like 105.  It felt totally secure and solid at that speed.  Only thing stopping me is fear of getting roughed and cuffed.  :mask:  I've driven an A6 2.5L turbo diesel to 138 on the Autobahn, and that was redlined and maxed out.  Pommes said his dad's A6 hit 154 - :rockon: - nice work!  Mine is limited to 130 for H rated tire reasons.  I fairly routinely cruise at 85+ since everyone else on the road is rolling at 80 or so. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 09, 2009, 04:31:21 PM
The other tire on my list is Yokohoma Avid A4S, but even they are $20 more expensive per tire.

I was looking at those, Advan S4s, and ContiExtremeContacts.  According to Cozmik, the Kumhos were terrible on his Saab, but according to Adam, they're good on his Mazda.  I've never had Kumhos before, but I've had good experience with Continental (on my Porsche) and Bridgestone (on both my Passat and E320), so I'm favoring them.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AltinD

Quote from: 2o6 on June 09, 2009, 10:53:40 AM

Did you see AltinD's 2.0L? I've seen that same wheel and tire combo on the 1.8T, VR6 and W8.

Not really. My 2.0L had 16" wheels while the W8 came with BBS 18" from the factory. I think 19" were optional on that car.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

AutobahnSHO

I hit 85 on the DC beltway in my minivan (55mph zoned) and my Subie has been up to 75mph.

When I had my SHO I used the cheapest M+S tires available and did sustained 100+ sometimes for 20 minutes. Hit 138mph a few times.
Will

Raza

Quote from: AltinD on June 11, 2009, 05:14:12 AM
Not really. My 2.0L had 16" wheels while the W8 came with BBS 18" from the factory. I think 19" were optional on that car.

I don't know about over there, but here I think the only available wheel was the 18" BBS.  I've been shopping around trying to get a used set of W8 wheels for my car.  No luck yet.

My Passat 1.8T only had 15" wheels (195/65 tires) and yours had 16!?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Pommes-T

Quote from: saxonyron on June 09, 2009, 11:20:13 PM
I've only had the A6 up to an indicated 110mph which is more like 105.  It felt totally secure and solid at that speed.  Only thing stopping me is fear of getting roughed and cuffed.  :mask:  I've driven an A6 2.5L turbo diesel to 138 on the Autobahn, and that was redlined and maxed out.  Pommes said his dad's A6 hit 154 - :rockon: - nice work!  Mine is limited to 130 for H rated tire reasons.  I fairly routinely cruise at 85+ since everyone else on the road is rolling at 80 or so. 

Do they really limit the cars in the USA because of the tyres?

In germany cars have to be sold with tyres that are sufficient for the car`s topspeed. If you have winter tyres that aren`t,  you must have a yellow sticker on the dashboard that tells you how these tyres are rated.
It`s funny though (I made a thread about this some time ago): Our winter tyres aren`t supposed to be driven faster than 210 km/h (that`s also what the sticker says). But the car is a good 15 km/h faster on these tyres than on summer tyres anyways. And still feels totally stable and safe btw.
'00 BMW 523i

Raza

Quote from: saxonyron on June 09, 2009, 11:20:13 PM
I've only had the A6 up to an indicated 110mph which is more like 105.  It felt totally secure and solid at that speed.  Only thing stopping me is fear of getting roughed and cuffed.  :mask:

Roughed and cuffed by your wife?  Or by the cozzers?

Because one of those sounds fun. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hotrodalex

Camaro - 125 or whatever the tires are rated at. I've been up to 120. It could go to 140 probably (gearing limited). With a 6 speed and different rear end gears it could probably go 160 drag limited.

El Camino - 0 mph

BMW - I think it's limited to 155.

Mazda - 115 or 120 probably. I've only been up to 95.

Buell - 145 is the top, I've been to around 100.

AltinD

Quote from: Raza  on June 11, 2009, 06:54:27 AM
My Passat 1.8T only had 15" wheels (195/65 tires) and yours had 16!?

Yes, I know then in USA the 15" wheels were the norm. In Europe and elsewhere that was the norm only for the steelies, hardly any car came with 15" alloys. The norm was 16" and 17" could be had optionally.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD