China bans Renault

Started by SVT666, June 10, 2009, 01:48:36 PM

SVT666

China bans Renault imports due to quality and safety concerns

Chinese automakers are best known for their spotty quality and poor crash worthiness, but China?s General Administration of Quality Supervision Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) has flipped the script as it has banned the importation of some Renault models due to ?serious safety risks? and quality issues.

The AQSIQ has banned the importation of the Renault Laguna, Scenic, Megane and Megane Coupe-Cabriolet, according to Automotive News. The agency failed to identify any specific safety problems or quality concerns, but did release a statement on the matter.

?In recent import inspections, we have repeatedly found batches of passenger vehicles made by the French Renault ? do not conform with our country?s mandatory standards and relevant technical regulations, and there are serious safety risks.?

Renault says all models in question are built at Western factories with the same standards as global market cars. Every model cited by the AQSIQ has received a five star rating from Europe?s EuroNCAP.

China is one of Renault?s smallest markets, with only 900 vehicles sold there last year.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

A big hypocritcal paradox, but it does make sense. It's insulting to import a low quality car and pass it off as well built and great.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on June 10, 2009, 01:53:27 PM
A big hypocritcal paradox, but it does make sense. It's insulting to import a low quality car and pass it off as well built and great.
"The agency failed to identify any specific safety problems or quality concerns". You're assuming China's safety complaints are legitimate.

This is protectionism, plain and simple.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on June 10, 2009, 01:55:08 PM
"The agency failed to identify any specific safety problems or quality concerns". You're assuming China's safety complaints are legitimate.

How is it protectionism when Renault only sells 900 cars? It'd be protectionism is China banned a bigger foreign entity, such as VW or Buick.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on June 10, 2009, 01:55:08 PM

With such a small marketshare, it seems more personal and petty than that. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on June 10, 2009, 01:56:34 PM
How is it protectionism when Renault only sells 900 cars? It'd be protectionism is China banned a bigger foreign entity, such as VW or Buick.
What else could it be when a government entity brings down the hammer like this with nothing but a threadbare justification?

Apparently it's because Renault was selling damaged cars.

http://www.manufacturing.net/News-China-Bans-Some-Renault-Imports-061009.aspx

"When asked about the announcement, Renault spokeswoman Gita Roux said a number of cars were damaged during transportation and storage. She described the damage as small and affecting old stock, but could not be specific.

"It's not linked to manufacturing," Roux said. "We have taken measures to make sure it doesn't happen again. We are sending a team of experts on site."

She said that Renault seeks to comply fully with the requirements of Chinese authorities"

Calm down people.  China isn't on some grand plan to ruin Renaults 900 car domination.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

Quote from: 565 on June 10, 2009, 01:57:52 PM
Apparently it's because Renault was selling damaged cars.

http://www.manufacturing.net/News-China-Bans-Some-Renault-Imports-061009.aspx

"When asked about the announcement, Renault spokeswoman Gita Roux said a number of cars were damaged during transportation and storage. She described the damage as small and affecting old stock, but could not be specific.

"It's not linked to manufacturing," Roux said. "We have taken measures to make sure it doesn't happen again. We are sending a team of experts on site."

She said that Renault seeks to comply fully with the requirements of Chinese authorities"

Calm down people.  China isn't on some grand plan to ruin Renaults 900 car domination.

Why wasn't that in the original article? Contextual FAIL.

the Teuton

To paraphrase North Korea, I'm sure Renault committed some kind of "grave crime."
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Quote from: Laconian on June 10, 2009, 03:28:19 PM
Why wasn't that in the original article? Contextual FAIL.

It's because any news about how China is bad and evil and picking on poor little Renault sells. Nevermind it doesn't make sense for China to be protectionist towards a company that basically sells no cars in China, and nevermind that China actively encourages foreign automakers to sell and make cars in China.

The truth about some technicality about not selling transport or storage damaged cars is just boring in comparison.

Raza

China is bad and evil though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

lazydragon

Quote from: Raza  on June 10, 2009, 08:03:27 PM
China is bad and evil though.

Comparing China with US, China becomes not that bad and evil at all.

sandertheshark

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 10, 2009, 01:48:36 PM
The AQSIQ has banned the importation of the Renault Laguna, Scenic, Megane and Megane Coupe-Cabriolet, according to Automotive News.

Yeah, that makes sense.  I wouldn't want meningitis either.

AutobahnSHO

Obviously if the Chinese government didn't ban them, (and probably are prejudiced in other ways,) Renaults could sell better.

So the whole "they don't sell many anyway" car argument is as silly as China is..
Will

Raza

Quote from: lazydragon on June 10, 2009, 11:37:01 PM
Comparing China with US, China becomes not that bad and evil at all.

Care to elaborate?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 11, 2009, 06:06:53 AM
Obviously if the Chinese government didn't ban them, (and probably are prejudiced in other ways,) Renaults could sell better.

So the whole "they don't sell many anyway" car argument is as silly as China is..

:facepalm:  Cause and Effect fail.

Renault sold 900 cars in 2008.  This ban comes in 2009.  So unless time flows backwards for you, your logic makes no sense.

Anyway it's incredible how people are convinced that they must make China the villian in all this when it's just some technicality on selling transport and storage damaged cars.  Apparently the cars in question were in storage/transport since 2007. 

"Renault spokeswoman Gita Roux told Bloomberg News that the quality issues concern around 160 older-generation models built in 2007 that were most likely kept in storage since then. The spokeswoman said that the Chinese agency's concerns "arose from problems with the transport and storage of a limited number of cars" adding that none of them are related to manufacturing issues."

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/06/red-flag-china-bans-certain-renault.html

It's no secret why Renault doesn't sell cars in China, it's because they decided not to, and not some secret plot by China to foil Renault and Renault only.

http://autonews.gasgoo.com/auto-news/1008203/Renault-China-new-boss-to-halt-investment-plan.html

Basically Renault doesn't have any production in China, and decided just to slowly trickle imported cars to its grand total of FIVE dealers in China.  Renault/Nissan probably decided to concentrate on just Nissan in China, and it has paid off as China is now the biggest market in the world for Nissan. If evil China wanted to bring down Renault/Nissan in China, it would make no sense for them to target the half that sells no cars.

So basically:

China:  Hey we found that those cars you got kicking around in transport and storage from 2007 are damaged already and you can't sell them.

Renault:  Oh okay, yeah we understand and we'll fix it.

Automotive press:  OMG China is picking on Renault for NO REASON!!

Rest of the world:  OMFG CHINA IS SO MEAN!!!

2o6

Quote from: sandertheshark on June 11, 2009, 12:35:31 AM
Yeah, that makes sense.  I wouldn't want meningitis either.

That remark isn't funny, since the Megane is a really cool car.

Laconian

Yes, the original article does inspire that kind of reaction though. It makes the government's objection seem baseless, and plays into our perception of the permeable boundary that sits between government and industry in China.

hotrodalex

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 11, 2009, 06:06:53 AM

:lol: