To hell with new luxury cars, I want this...

Started by ChrisV, June 19, 2009, 02:27:50 PM

Vinsanity

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

omicron

Quote from: 68_427 on June 20, 2009, 12:07:27 PM
I'd love a bigass car from that era.  Preferably the biggest wagon made back then.

Anybody have any idea which make/model was physically the largest?

I could be wrong here, but I vaguely recall reading once that it was the 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 - 252.2 inches long, with a 151.5in. wheelbase.

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on June 20, 2009, 11:52:32 AM
Yeah, well I don't require every car to be a race car or a practical car. Sometimes it's just nice to waft along effortlessly on a comfy sofa surrounded by acres of steel and chrome and style.

:thumbsup:

I appreciate them, but they're not for me.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 68_427 on June 20, 2009, 12:07:27 PM
I'd love a bigass car from that era.  Preferably the biggest wagon made back then.

Anybody have any idea which make/model was physically the largest?

According to a quick glance at the Standard Catalogs in the collection: the '64 Fleetwood 75 Formal Limo.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 19, 2009, 04:08:37 PM
If the rumors of Cadillac DTS devolving into an Epsilon-based Lexus ES wannabe materialize, then that would give Lincoln a great opportunity to bring back the Continental in all its old school glory: big body, RWD, V8, in similar vein to the Chrysler 300C, but with trick features like suicide rear doors (of course) and a pillarless hardtop design. Maybe even a 4-door convertible?

As for the subject of the OP, that car is so awesomely swingin-sixties. Makes me think of hanging out at a Vegas lounge with the Rat Pack :mrcool:

Dean Martin had several Fleetwoods built into wagons to his specs for him.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 21, 2009, 10:47:35 PM
According to a quick glance at the Standard Catalogs in the collection: the '64 Fleetwood 75 Formal Limo.

It lives!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Hachee

I saw one of these over the weekend...not sure of the year, but I drove by and could not miss it....

http://www.mercuryarchive.com/1973to1978/1978GrandMarquis2Dr.jpg

Hachee

sorry about the link ^.  I have to try to figure out how to post an image.

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 21, 2009, 10:47:35 PM

How delicious. How big, out of interest? I imagine that the Imperial Ghia limousines would probably go near, too, but they were more handbuilt creations rather than factory efforts.

I've been meaning to pick up the Standard Catalogs for a while now, but they're rarely at Borders and are prohibitively expensive. I should look on Amazon or eBay, come to think of it.

hounddog

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 20, 2009, 05:01:53 AM
Someone in America do me a favor. Find a 1971-1977 Lincoln Continental Mark IV and send it to me in Munich. These are hot.  :rockon:

I will do you one better, my grandmas 1977 Thunderbird is sitting in my dads storage shed under covers.  Robins egg blue with dark blue valor interior and only about 70,000 miles.  It has the 460 (I believe) engine, but is totally bogged down with the Kalifornia smog stuffers.  BEAUTIFUL car.  It is sitting right next to my folks "A" title '64 Cutlass F-85 Holiday Coupe.  ;)

This is close to the car I would love to find.  1971 Cutlass 442 with the numbers for the green metallic paint and grn/wht interior.  Of course I would prefer the stick version, but they only made about 150 of those so that is pretty unlikely.  I would be willing to part with about $30,000 for an auto if I could find a really nice one.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Submariner

Quote from: hounddog on June 26, 2009, 11:14:50 PM
I will do you one better, my grandmas 1977 Thunderbird is sitting in my dads storage shed under covers.  Robins egg blue with dark blue valor interior and only about 70,000 miles.  It has the 460 (I believe) engine, but is totally bogged down with the Kalifornia smog stuffers.  BEAUTIFUL car.  It is sitting right next to my folks "A" title '64 Cutlass F-85 Holiday Coupe.  ;)

This is close to the car I would love to find.  1971 Cutlass 442 with the numbers for the green metallic paint and grn/wht interior.  Of course I would prefer the stick version, but they only made about 150 of those so that is pretty unlikely.  I would be willing to part with about $30,000 for an auto if I could find a really nice one.

My dads mom had a 442 with the Hurst 4-speed.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

hounddog

Quote from: hounddog on June 26, 2009, 11:14:50 PM
I will do you one better, my grandmas 1977 Thunderbird is sitting in my dads storage shed under covers.  Robins egg blue with dark blue valor interior and only about 70,000 miles.  It has the 460 (I believe) engine, but is totally bogged down with the Kalifornia smog stuffers.  BEAUTIFUL car.  It is sitting right next to my folks "A" title '64 Cutlass F-85 Holiday Coupe.  ;)

Headed to my folks this weekend, I will try very hard to get some photos of my parents classics.   
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.