Just ownt my car

Started by SVT_Power, June 22, 2009, 08:48:15 PM

SVT_Power

I got H rated tires just yesterday and had them put in the back thinking the front with the Z rated tires would make the car generally neutral. Well I was wrong.

Went around a roundabout a little too fast, the rear came around and luckily (somewhat) enough the corner of the curb only hit the rear wheel so the body has no damage at all. But now the rear wheel is not straight. I guess I'm getting new control arms for the rear.

Frig I should've just coughed up a bit more for better tires up front and put the not as good Z rated tires in the rear...

From what I've searched so far, it seems like most people just have to change the rear control arm in cases like this. I guess I'll check the sway bar to see if it got damaged as well but HOPEFULLY it's only the CA...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

ifcar

My Focus won't take a cloverleaf interchange in wet weather without trying to spin out. (Hasn't hit anything yet though!) The tires appeared to be new when I got it, but they're evidently not great tires.

Raza

I ran much grippier tires at the front of my Passat than the rear for three years.  Got the back end out dozens of times. 

Never crashed. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

You may not have bent anything... See if it can be adjusted first.  Take it to a good alignment place.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza  on June 22, 2009, 08:59:58 PM
I ran much grippier tires at the front of my Passat than the rear for three years.  Got the back end out dozens of times. 

Never crashed. 

you're either lucky as shit or you do it in parking lots...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

The Pirate

Quote from: R-inge on June 22, 2009, 09:01:08 PM
You may not have bent anything... See if it can be adjusted first.  Take it to a good alignment place.

Maybe just a bent wheel, if anything.  I bent a wheel once, everything else was okay.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 22, 2009, 08:48:15 PM
I got H rated tires just yesterday and had them put in the back thinking the front with the Z rated tires would make the car generally neutral. Well I was wrong.

Went around a roundabout a little too fast, the rear came around and luckily (somewhat) enough the corner of the curb only hit the rear wheel so the body has no damage at all. But now the rear wheel is not straight. I guess I'm getting new control arms for the rear.

Frig I should've just coughed up a bit more for better tires up front and put the not as good Z rated tires in the rear...

From what I've searched so far, it seems like most people just have to change the rear control arm in cases like this. I guess I'll check the sway bar to see if it got damaged as well but HOPEFULLY it's only the CA...

Speed rating doesn't mean crap. Learn how to drive. :evildude:
Next time the rear end starts to come around, throttle out of it. Same goes for you, Ifcar.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 22, 2009, 09:01:52 PM
you're either lucky as shit very good or you do it in parking lots fucking great...

Somewhere in the middle. 

Once you learn to drive, it's really quite easy. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Minpin

+1 to getting an alignment first.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

SVT_Power

but the thing is there seems to be some play in the rear wheel. Might be bushings done as well.

I'm gonna have it aligned ASAP (maybe tmr) and see how that goes

ifcar

Quote from: NACar on June 22, 2009, 09:04:06 PM
Speed rating doesn't mean crap. Learn how to drive. :evildude:
Next time the rear end starts to come around, throttle out of it. Same goes for you, Ifcar.

I've been able to correct with just some steering. You can't really accelerate while you're still in the tight part of the cloverleaf, not in wet weather.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ifcar on June 22, 2009, 08:58:15 PM
My Focus won't take a cloverleaf interchange in wet weather without trying to spin out. (Hasn't hit anything yet though!) The tires appeared to be new when I got it, but they're evidently not great tires.

That's not right. I can take some entrance ramps flat out. :evildude:

I've never had oversteer in my car without the handbrake, but it loves to understeer. The rear end has a tendency to side-step when it hits a bump in a high speed turn, but that's just a normal Focus quirk.

S204STi

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 22, 2009, 09:10:18 PM
but the thing is there seems to be some play in the rear wheel. Might be bushings done as well.

I'm gonna have it aligned ASAP (maybe tmr) and see how that goes

Loose?  Yikes.  You broke something then.

SVT_Power

Quote from: R-inge on June 22, 2009, 09:25:00 PM
Loose?  Yikes.  You broke something then.

i wouldn't say loose...

well when i kick the left rear wheel there's no play at all. but with the right one there's ever so much play and I think it's gonna be something that needs to be replaced...

ifcar

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 22, 2009, 09:22:05 PM
That's not right. I can take some entrance ramps flat out. :evildude:

Big deal. I get better gas mileage than you do. I just need to be more careful when it rains.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ifcar on June 22, 2009, 09:28:54 PM
Big deal. I get better gas mileage than you do. I just need to be more careful when it rains.

That wasn't the point. Read my post. Your car should not be oversteering.

ifcar

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 22, 2009, 09:32:45 PM
That wasn't the point. Read my post. Your car should not be oversteering.

Oh, I know.

TBR

The better tires should be on the back.

SVT_Power

Quote from: TBR on June 22, 2009, 10:19:25 PM

but if they were in the back, i would've massively understeered into the curb. that would've been fucking ugly...

hotrodalex

Quote from: TBR on June 22, 2009, 10:19:25 PM

That's no fun.

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 22, 2009, 10:35:40 PM
but if they were in the back, i would've massively understeered into the curb. that would've been fucking ugly...

Drive slower...

sparkplug

Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: The Pirate on June 22, 2009, 09:02:09 PM
Maybe just a bent wheel, if anything.  I bent a wheel once, everything else was okay.

I bent my left right and rear axle a few years ago having too much fun in the snow. The alignment shop got me a new wheel and put a shim on the axle. Feels fine now.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

Isn't it sort of silly to put the stickier compounds on your non-drive wheels?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on June 23, 2009, 07:51:40 AM
Isn't it sort of silly to put the stickier compounds on your non-drive wheels?

For "safety", it makes sense.  It's generally accepted that understeer is safer than oversteer.  Better to crash on your side of the road, perhaps? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

RomanChariot

Tire manufacturers recommend putting your best tires on the back of all vehicles to avoid oversteer as oversteer is harder to control than udersteer, especially in wet or snowy conditions.

S204STi

That can have its faults; typically people wait too long to rotate tires, at which point your front axle is 2-3/32" below the rears.  I still rotate them in that case, putting the better ones on front so the tire set lasts as long as possible.

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on June 23, 2009, 08:04:30 AM
For "safety", it makes sense.  It's generally accepted that understeer is safer than oversteer.  Better to crash on your side of the road, perhaps? 

I think understeer is just more predictable and tends to not occur as rapidly.

hotrodalex

It's easier for most people to correct understeer, as it can be fixed with a gentle tap on the brakes in most cases. Oversteer usually requires more precise countersteering and throttle control.

Oversteer is more fun. :lol:

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on June 23, 2009, 06:49:58 AM
Fixed.

I figure it's easier to teach him to drive slower vs better. :lol: