Just ownt my car

Started by SVT_Power, June 22, 2009, 08:48:15 PM

MrH

:facepalm:  You're an idiot.

This might be right up there with CJ crashing the Volvo because of he sneezed.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: TBR on June 23, 2009, 01:24:20 PM
I think understeer is just more predictable and tends to not occur as rapidly.

I don't know about predictable... I think it has more to do with the fact that most people instinctively let off the gas at the beginning of any slide. I know I did this the first time I drove around in winter. I still recall yanking the ebrake the first time on a snowy road and almost doing a 180 as I let off the gas. Figured it out pretty quick after that one.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

sandertheshark

Quote from: MrH on June 23, 2009, 08:21:25 PM
:facepalm:  You're an idiot.

This might be right up there with CJ crashing the Volvo because of he sneezed.

Eh, we all do dumb things.  I once got lost at Newark airport and drove square over a curb and ended up with two flat tires in the middle of a grass median.  That was a fun night waiting for the AAA tow truck.

Hope you get that straightened out, Eddie.

SVT_Power

i probably wont be able to get under the car at least until thursday. Hopefully take a peek thursday, see what I need to replace, head over to the junkyard thurs/fri and be good to go for the weekend
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 23, 2009, 02:03:01 PM
I figure it's easier to teach him to drive slower vs better. :lol:

The more difficult the task, the more satisfying the re....fuck it, you're right. 

Ed, drive at 40kph, and no more. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 23, 2009, 01:24:20 PM
I think understeer is just more predictable and tends to not occur as rapidly.

Well, you're right in a driver's ed kind of way.  Maybe it's because I started on RWD cars, but I find oversteer (especially in the snow) to be easier to handle. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on June 24, 2009, 10:02:00 AM
Well, you're right in a driver's ed kind of way.  Maybe it's because I started on RWD cars, but I find oversteer (especially in the snow) to be easier to handle. 

Same here. Of course I started out in RWD cars as well.

TBR

And the only oversteer I have experienced was in a long wheel base F-250 (other than just a smidge once in the Prelude).

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 24, 2009, 03:07:55 PM
And the only oversteer I have experienced was in a long wheel base F-250 (other than just a smidge once in the Prelude).

That could be hair-raising. 

I got oversteer today.   :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Minpin

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19028.msg1093490#msg1093490 date=1245878236

Wha? How?

Oh, you mean oversteer while walking, not in your car....right?  :lol:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Raza

Quote from: Minpin on June 24, 2009, 04:58:57 PM
Wha? How?

Oh, you mean oversteer while walking, not in your car....right?  :lol:

Hehe...

See, when you drive a fun FWD car, you can get oversteer.  Have you never watched Top Gear?

:lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Minpin

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19028.msg1093651#msg1093651 date=1245884722
Hehe...

See, when you drive a fun FWD car, you can get oversteer.  Have you never watched Top Gear?

:lol:

I have no idea on the stats, but your car can't be THAT much quicker than mine...

S204STi

Quote from: Minpin on June 24, 2009, 05:31:11 PM
I have no idea on the stats, but your car can't be THAT much quicker than mine...

wut do you drive again?

Minpin

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on June 24, 2009, 03:17:16 PM

In rain the back steps out if you even think about accelerating hard. I haven't gotten anything other than power oversteer, I don't have enough balls to try to corner quickly in a truck that big.

Raza

Quote from: Minpin on June 24, 2009, 05:31:11 PM

A Jetta Wolfsburg vs. an automatic Scion tC?  My car weighs 200 pounds more, but also has 40 more horsepower and 43 more pound feet of torque.  A GTI 18s and DSG can hit 60 in 6 seconds flat.  I think 6.5 is a reasonable estimate for my car (magazine style, not real roads), and it has great point-to-point midrange (peak torque from 1800 to 5000), and the MkV chassis is pretty easy to oversteer. 

Oh, in the Quickest Cars comparison (one of the ones where a GTI got 6 seconds), the Scion tC managed 7.4 seconds to 60 with a manual.  About a second slower than my estimate.  Quarter miles of the GTI and tC are similarly a second apart. 

So yes, my car is that much quicker than yours.   :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 24, 2009, 05:55:13 PM
In rain the back steps out if you even think about accelerating hard. I haven't gotten anything other than power oversteer, I don't have enough balls to try to corner quickly in a truck that big.

Yeah, I wouldn't mess around in big trucks either.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Minpin

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19028.msg1093934#msg1093934 date=1245894204
A Jetta Wolfsburg vs. an automatic Scion tC?  My car weighs 200 pounds more, but also has 40 more horsepower and 43 more pound feet of torque.  A GTI 18s and DSG can hit 60 in 6 seconds flat.  I think 6.5 is a reasonable estimate for my car (magazine style, not real roads), and it has great point-to-point midrange (peak torque from 1800 to 5000), and the MkV chassis is pretty easy to oversteer. 

Oh, in the Quickest Cars comparison (one of the ones where a GTI got 6 seconds), the Scion tC managed 7.4 seconds to 60 with a manual.  About a second slower than my estimate.  Quarter miles of the GTI and tC are similarly a second apart. 

So yes, my car is that much quicker than yours.   :lol:

Your car is more comparable to the GLI than the GTI. The GLI according to vw.com is 7.2 for a manual.

http://www.vw.com/gli/completespecs/en/us/#engineering

Raza

Quote from: Minpin on June 24, 2009, 07:52:24 PM
Your car is more comparable to the GLI than the GTI. The GLI according to vw.com is 7.2 for a manual.

http://www.vw.com/gli/completespecs/en/us/#engineering

Conservative estimates on manufacturer sites are common.  My car also weighs less than a GLI (it's right in the middle of the GTI and GLI weight-wise). 

How can two hundred pounds make the GLI 1.2 seconds slower than the GTI to 60? 

Anyway, I accounted for the better tires and DSG.  I added half a second.  But yes, I've seen anywhere from 6.4-7.2 on GLI tests. 

EDIT:  VW also quotes 7.2 seconds for the GTI.  So how come Car and Driver and Motor Trend both got 6.0?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Minpin

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19028.msg1093944#msg1093944 date=1245894949
Conservative estimates on manufacturer sites are common.  My car also weighs less than a GLI (it's right in the middle of the GTI and GLI weight-wise). 

How can two hundred pounds make the GLI 1.2 seconds slower than the GTI to 60? 

Anyway, I accounted for the better tires and DSG.  I added half a second.  But yes, I've seen anywhere from 6.4-7.2 on GLI tests. 

EDIT:  VW also quotes 7.2 seconds for the GTI.  So how come Car and Driver and Motor Trend both got 6.0?

I can't tell you. My point is though is that while your car is faster, it isn't that much faster/powerful you're getting oversteer on it.  :lol:

Raza

Quote from: Minpin on June 24, 2009, 07:58:20 PM
I can't tell you. My point is though is that while your car is faster, it isn't that much faster/powerful you're getting oversteer on it.  :lol:

You know you don't get oversteer in a straight line, right?  I could get oversteer in my Passat, which was significantly slower than my Jetta.  And you can get oversteer in a 205 GTi, which is slower still. 

And it's lift off oversteer, which has nothing to do with power.  It's a FWD car, I couldn't power oversteer even if I had 500bhp  :nutty:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Left-foot brake :praise:
Damn, I have not engaged in such antics for quite a while now. Neither the Swift, nor the Rodeo are willing partners.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Left-foot braking doesn't jive well with ABS.

:(

hotrodalex

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 24, 2009, 09:15:07 PM
Left-foot braking doesn't jive well with ABS.

:(

Disable ABS. :huh:

giant_mtb

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 24, 2009, 09:17:27 PM
Disable ABS. :huh:

Mmmm...I suppose that would be as simple as a quick pull of the fuse.

:devil:

SVT_Power

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 25, 2009, 08:20:50 AM

Mmmm...I suppose that would be as simple as a quick pull of the fuse.

:devil:

how else would you disable it?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

S204STi

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 25, 2009, 08:57:57 AM
how else would you disable it?

Disconnect pretty much any ABS component, fuse, connector, etc and you disable the ABS.

Eye of the Tiger

Cut the brake lines, and you disable the ABS. :huh:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex