Leftlanenews: Taurus SHO

Started by SVT666, June 23, 2009, 03:00:57 PM

Nethead

Meh:  'Nothin' wrong with the SHO's looks once you get past the excessive chrome, but nothin' exciting about them either.  That powertrain could honk in Mustangs, where some version of it will wind up in short order!
So many stairs...so little time...

CJ

There's nothing wrong with the SHO's looks?  Have you SEEN the rear end?  It's quite ugly back there.  It's too big.  The whole car is too big.

68_427

I agree.  The front is round and the rear is square.  Doesn't work IMO.  I have to be honest I like the '09s better as a family sedan.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Nethead

Quote from: CJ on August 21, 2009, 01:55:29 PM
There's nothing wrong with the SHO's looks?  Have you SEEN the rear end?  It's quite ugly back there.  It's too big.  The whole car is too big.

CJ:  CeejDude, read my comments upstream in this thread, and in some other Taurus SHO threads.  You'll see that I don't care for its size & weight--but that's true of any car that size and weight.  

Fords usually have overly busy rear ends--and that ain't pretty.  The cheese-grater grille is ugly, too.  However, there are no beauties in this slice of the marketplace, and none of them get enough of my attention for me to even bother to be critical of them.  Some things are just better left ignored, y' know?
So many stairs...so little time...

sportyaccordy

Car is about a size too big. Motor would have been a much more interesting proposition in the Fusion with about 700-800 less pounds and prob close to the same level of practicality & comfort.

I love the new Fusion. I stare every time I see one.

Catman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 21, 2009, 02:40:46 PM
Car is about a size too big. Motor would have been a much more interesting proposition in the Fusion with about 700-800 less pounds and prob close to the same level of practicality & comfort.

I love the new Fusion. I stare every time I see one.

If you like the size of the Fusion than Ford builds a car to your liking size-wise.  How is it that the Taurus is too big?  It's too big for you.  Why is this an issue with you guys.  I would assume there are people that actually want a large car.

Raza

Quote from: Catman on August 21, 2009, 02:46:57 PM
If you like the size of the Fusion than Ford builds a car to your liking size-wise.  How is it that the Taurus is too big?  It's too big for you.  Why is this an issue with you guys.  I would assume there are people that actually want a large car.

NO!  Everyone has to like what I like.  Anything bigger than a compact is too big for everyone.  If it's smaller than a compact, it's too small.  Midsizers are for fags, full size cars are for even larger fags1121@!!23!!!!!!!!!!!!64.2!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

It's too big to be a Taurus SHO.  It's fast in a straight line, but that weight and size hamper the handling.

Catman

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 21, 2009, 02:51:38 PM
It's too big to be a Taurus SHO.  It's fast in a straight line, but that weight and size hamper the handling.

OK if you put it that way I agree.  The Fusion should get the SHO treatment.  It's a better candidate. 

Cookie Monster

I don't see why the Fusion couldn't have been named the Taurus and the Taurus named the Fusion. :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

It's the Taurus SHO; Super High Output.  Not the Taurus SHOAVGH.  (Super High Output and Very Good Handling). 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

I like the car, size, looks and all, but it's really only for mega hardcore Blue Oval fanboys.

Unlike when the SHO first debuted, today there are similar performing sedans available from more upscale manufacturers for equivalent cost.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Catman on August 21, 2009, 02:54:47 PM
OK if you put it that way I agree.  The Fusion should get the SHO treatment.  It's a better candidate. 

:rolleyes:

SVT666

Quote from: Catman on August 21, 2009, 02:54:47 PM
Well, the SVT Fusion is still in works from what I hear.  365 hp, AWD, 6 spd manual, and the typical SVT suspension upgrades, seats, and subtle cosmetic changes.

MX793

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 22, 2009, 12:08:40 PM
Well, the SVT Fusion is still in works from what I hear.  365 hp, AWD, 6 spd manual, and the typical SVT suspension upgrades, seats, and subtle cosmetic changes.

I'll believe that when I see it.  I can only think of one FWD/AWD application of the Duratec 3.0 that Ford ever offered a manual gearbox and that was the early Escape (and the Mazda6, but that wasn't a Ford branded vehicle).  If memory serves, that drivetrain choice no longer exists.  Prior to that, the last time Ford coupled a stickshift with a V6 of 3.0L or greater in a FWD vehicle was in the 2nd generation SHO in the early 90s.  The current Fusion doesn't offer a manual/V6 combo, even on the 3.0L versions for which a mating manual gearbox already exists.  There has yet to be a manual tied to the newer Duratec35/37 (even in the Mazda6, which previously offered a manual with the 3.0L V6).  More than likely, the SVT Fusion will get the same tranny as the new Taurus SHO.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on August 22, 2009, 01:07:19 PM
I'll believe that when I see it.  I can only think of one FWD/AWD application of the Duratec 3.0 that Ford ever offered a manual gearbox and that was the early Escape (and the Mazda6, but that wasn't a Ford branded vehicle).  If memory serves, that drivetrain choice no longer exists.  Prior to that, the last time Ford coupled a stickshift with a V6 of 3.0L or greater in a FWD vehicle was in the 2nd generation SHO in the early 90s.  The current Fusion doesn't offer a manual/V6 combo, even on the 3.0L versions for which a mating manual gearbox already exists.  There has yet to be a manual tied to the newer Duratec35/37 (even in the Mazda6, which previously offered a manual with the 3.0L V6).  More than likely, the SVT Fusion will get the same tranny as the new Taurus SHO.
No other Mustang comes with 6 spd manuals except for the SVT cars.  So I think it's entirely possible.  However, you could be entirely right as well.  We'll have to wait and see.

Quote from: Nethead on August 20, 2009, 07:23:39 AM
It's too big.  It's too heavy.  It's a six.  It's AWD.  It's thru the lights in under 14 :confused:

VIDEO: 2010 Taurus SHO breaks into the 13s
by Chris Shunk (RSS feed) on Aug 19th, 2009 at 4:57 PM

The 2010 Taurus SHO packs 365 horsepower courtesy of its twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 engine, but something about the sheer size of Ford's full-size sedan tells us that it doesn't quite belong on the track. That didn't stop one man from taking the 21st century SHO to New England Dragway in Epping, New Hampshire to try his luck in a straight-line foot race.

The massive SHO took its spot at the left starting gate against a Fox body Mustang of undetermined modification, and when the tree turned green, the 4,300-pound Taurus gave its fellow Ford all it could handle. Hit the jump to watch the 2010 Taurus SHO notch a credible 13.92 at 100 mph :confused: at Epping. Since we've already seen the 350 horsepower EcoBoost MKS hit 13.9 at Milan dragway in Michigan, we're guessing the SHO Taurus was either bone stock or only modestly modified. Hat tip to Brian.

100mph traps for 40K?  Man that's pretty slow and certainly nothing to brag about.  The 13.9 ET is deceptive because of the AWD launch.  Short of a full bore stoplight launch, the SHO is disappointing.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q1/the_quickest_cars_of_2009_20_000_to_25_000-feature

Toyota Camry V-6
Base Price: $24,935
0-to-60-mph time: 5.8 sec
Quarter-mile time: 14.3 sec @ 99 mph

Mazda 6 s
Base Price: $24,800
0-to-60-mph time: 6.1 sec
Quarter-mile time: 14.7 sec @ 98 mph

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/07q1/the_quickest_cars_of_2007_20_000_to_25_000-feature/fourth_place_3a_2007_nissan_altima_3.5se_page_3

Altima 3.5SE
Base price: $24,615
0-to-60-mph time: 5.9 sec
Quarter-mile time: 14.6 sec @ 99 mph

The SHO is a joke.  For a supposed high performance machine, any one of thus sub 25k family sedans with similar interior space would give it a run for its money on the highway.

The Pirate

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 22, 2009, 12:08:40 PM

If it comes exactly as you describe, then I would totally start hocking all my possessions for one.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ChrisV

Quote from: 565 on August 22, 2009, 01:58:06 PM

Toyota Camry V-6
Mazda 6 s
Altima 3.5SE

Wow. Did not know that Fusion competitors were the Taurus SHO's target demographic. Mazda 6? Really?

I guess as a full size sedan owner I have a different perspective on it than you guys. And I like the way the new Taurus looks. In fact, it's the first Taurus that I've actually liked the looks of ever.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ifcar

Quote from: ChrisV on August 24, 2009, 07:16:42 AM
Wow. Did not know that Fusion competitors were the Taurus SHO's target demographic. Mazda 6? Really?

He said that these are cars with comparable performance and interior space. People are too often bound by class distinctions based on irrelevant metrics like exterior size and how a car fits into an automaker's lineup. Really, no one is going to say "I like the way the Mazda6 drives and it has plenty of space for me, but despite all else being equal it is imperative that I have a physically larger vehicle."

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on August 24, 2009, 07:22:19 AM
He said that these are cars with comparable performance and interior space. People are too often bound by class distinctions based on irrelevant metrics like exterior size and how a car fits into an automaker's lineup. Really, no one is going to say "I like the way the Mazda6 drives and it has plenty of space for me, but despite all else being equal it is imperative that I have a physically larger vehicle."

I'm not so sure about that.  Exterior size affects how people view the interior.  Those words may not come out of their mouths, but they may view the smaller car as smaller on the interior as well, even if it's not. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on August 24, 2009, 07:32:41 AM
I'm not so sure about that.  Exterior size affects how people view the interior.  Those words may not come out of their mouths, but they may view the smaller car as smaller on the interior as well, even if it's not. 

There's certainly a chance it wouldn't occur to people to look at a smaller car with as much space or more. (If people did, no one would buy Chevrolet Impalas.) But once they've looked, I'd find it difficult to believe that they'd still gravitate toward the bigger vehicle, especially in one as claustrophobic as the latest Taurus seems to be.

ChrisV

Quote from: ifcar on August 24, 2009, 07:22:19 AM

You can have similar interior volumes, but have completely different amounts of useable "space" due to the arrangement of the space and components. Kind of like a 10"x10"x6' tube will have different/less useability than a 30"x30"x30" box, even though the 10" tube has more volume.

Looking at the rear seat area, even in person, it looks much larger, with more legroom, and easier ingress/egrtess than the listed cars:

i really like the way this car looks inside and out.

ifcar

I'm going entirely by usable space. The Altima has little, definitely, but the Camry and Mazda6 are quite spacious. A photo of the SHO interior doesn't say otherwise.

ChrisV

Quote from: ifcar on August 24, 2009, 07:36:47 AM
I'm going entirely by usable space. The Altima has little, definitely, but the Camry and Mazda6 are quite spacious. A photo of the SHO interior doesn't say otherwise.

I've tried to get in and out of the rear of the Mazda 6s when my buddy was looking at buying one a couple months ago. Nowhere NEAR as much room there as the Taurus, nor is it easy to get in and out without bumping your head on the low sweeping roofline.

I posted the photo becasue I've been in both. And the legroom shown in the photo, while not up to my 740iL standards, is still much more than cars like the 6 and Altima. And the trunk of the taurus is more useful than the 6 or Altima, too (though if the 6 was still available in hatchback form, that would take the kake, there).

yeah, I do tend to compare everything to this:

Hehehehehe.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on August 24, 2009, 07:35:32 AM
There's certainly a chance it wouldn't occur to people to look at a smaller car with as much space or more. (If people did, no one would buy Chevrolet Impalas.) But once they've looked, I'd find it difficult to believe that they'd still gravitate toward the bigger vehicle, especially in one as claustrophobic as the latest Taurus seems to be.

People see safety in size regardless of reality.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The SHO has all of .1 inches of rear leg room over the Mazda6.  38 inches vs 38.1 inches.  Plus total room is just .4 cubic feet of difference 101.9 vs 102.3 cubic feet.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2010/mazda/mazda6/i_touring_sedan/1869/specifications/index.html

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2010/ford/taurus/sho_sedan/1353/specifications/index.html

Plus the Mazda has more front leg room as well, so total leg room, assuming you move the seats about, is greater for the Mazda than the Taurus.  Interior room between the two cars is about the same.  You can talk about the psychological effects of having a car over 200 inches long all you want, but the fact is the new Taurus had its interior room severely compromised by styling (compared to the 2009 Taurus of similar footprint which was indeed huge inside).

The SHO's room is nothing to brag about subjectively either.  Edmunds remarked it feels smaller than an Accord (because it is).

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=153146

"2009 Honda Accord EX-L V6 has a subtly more spacious cabin. The beltline is lower, the seats are wider and, whether you're driving or riding in back, the cabin has an airier feel. Here we are back at the personal space argument again."

sparkplug

Quote from: 565 on August 24, 2009, 03:19:50 PM
The SHO has all of .1 inches of rear leg room over the Mazda6.  38 inches vs 38.1 inches.  Plus total room is just .4 cubic feet of difference 101.9 vs 102.3 cubic feet.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2010/mazda/mazda6/i_touring_sedan/1869/specifications/index.html

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2010/ford/taurus/sho_sedan/1353/specifications/index.html

Plus the Mazda has more front leg room as well, so total leg room, assuming you move the seats about, is greater for the Mazda than the Taurus.  Interior room between the two cars is about the same.  You can talk about the psychological effects of having a car over 200 inches long all you want, but the fact is the new Taurus had its interior room severely compromised by styling (compared to the 2009 Taurus of similar footprint which was indeed huge inside).

The SHO's room is nothing to brag about subjectively either.  Edmunds remarked it feels smaller than an Accord (because it is).

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=153146

"2009 Honda Accord EX-L V6 has a subtly more spacious cabin. The beltline is lower, the seats are wider and, whether you're driving or riding in back, the cabin has an airier feel. Here we are back at the personal space argument again."

The 2008 Taurus was so huge. What happened?
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

ifcar

Quote from: sparkplug on August 25, 2009, 09:31:19 PM
The 2008 Taurus was so huge. What happened?

Styling. Ford is gambling that people would rather have a sleek fullsize sedan than a useful one. We'll see if that works out for them.