2010 Euro Car of the Year candidates

Started by SVT666, June 23, 2009, 03:06:33 PM

SVT666

2010 Car of the Year candidates announced
06/23/2009, 2:23 PMBY ANDREW GANZ 

The European motoring press has announced their list of candidates for the 2010 Car of the Year award, which was given most recently to the Opel/Vauxhall Insignia. To qualify for the prestigious award, candidates must be on sale by the end of September in at least five European markets.

Sales projections for candidates also must exceed 5,000 units.

The list, published below, could increase, the organizations have said, as the on-sale cutoff date has not occurred.

Candidates:
BMW Z4
Chevrolet Cruze
Citroen C3 Picasso
Ford Ka
Honda Insight
Hyundai i20
Hyundai ix55
Kia Sorento
Kia Soul
Land Rover Discovery IV (LR4)
Lexus RX 450h
Mazda Mazda3
Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Mitsubishi Colt
Nissan 370Z
Nissan Cube
Opel/Vauxhall Astra
Peugeot 3008
Porsche Panamera
Renault Scenic
Seat Exeo
Skoda Yeti
Subaru Legacy
Suzuki Alto/Nissan Pixo
Toyota Avensis
Toyota iQ
Toyota Prius
Toyota Urban Cruiser
Toyota Verso
Volkswagen Polo

CJ

The new E-Class is going to take this, I'd say. 

2o6

I think it'll be either the iQ, Polo, 3008 or Avensis.

TBR

SVT666

cawimmer430

Probably:

BMW Z4
Mercedes E-Class
Toyota iQ

One of those.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

It's probably gonna be some small car.

The last (and only) time a Mercedes won was in 1974.

BMW's never won it ever.

Colin

Xenophobia rules in this contest......

Watch and see how well the rather bland new Scenic and the rather hideous Peugeot 3008 do, as they will get block support from the French.

I don't understand how the Astra is included, as it does not go on sale until December.

Sports cars and expensive cars rarely do well, so the Z4 stands no chance.. besides, what is truly new and innovative about it?

In terms of pure competence and value for money, I'd vote for the Skoda Yeti, but it probably won't even make the short list.

Why would you ever name a car the Yeti...

It just implies it's awkward, subhuman, reclusive, and eats people...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 565 on June 24, 2009, 07:37:50 PM

However, it should be great in the snow.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: 565 on June 24, 2009, 07:37:50 PM

It does. 

I say C3 Picasso.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on June 25, 2009, 06:36:09 AM
Why isn't the Fiesta on that list?

Wasn't it a year newer than all of these?

2o6

Too old, I think. The Fiesta has been out a year now. The US is getting it next year (or is it Fall?) and we're about two years behind. Don't quote me on it, though.

Colin

It was on the list last year..... and finished second, one point behind the Insignia. Steve Cropley of Autocar still has finished moaning about the injustice of it........

nickdrinkwater

I think the Fiesta should've won it last year.  Then again, the Peugeot 307 was once a winner so what does that say about ECOTY?

Atomic

i could not even guess. i read the most about the 2010 e-class, but i doubt it will win. it's obviously a fantastic vehicle... perhaps too obvious a "winner"... too predictable, imo.

Colin

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 25, 2009, 02:04:51 PM
I think the Fiesta should've won it last year.  Then again, the Peugeot 307 was once a winner so what does that say about ECOTY?
There have been all sorts of very dubious victors over the years...... agreed the Peugeot 307 was highly suspect as it was a terrible car, dogged by debilitating electrical problems........ but what about the Renault R9? or the Simca Horizon?

No wonder that this contest has got almost as bad a reputation as the Eurovision Song Contest or whatever it is called. pure garbage with the result fiddled by xenophoboc voting.

mzziaz

Quote from: Colin on June 25, 2009, 06:12:58 PM
There have been all sorts of very dubious victors over the years...... agreed the Peugeot 307 was highly suspect as it was a terrible car, dogged by debilitating electrical problems........ but what about the Renault R9? or the Simca Horizon?

No wonder that this contest has got almost as bad a reputation as the Eurovision Song Contest or whatever it is called. pure garbage with the result fiddled by xenophoboc voting.
I agree that the coty-award is kind of dubious, but calling it xenophobic would be a stretch. I guess it has to do with the selection of jurors (automotive journalists).
Small, South European (including French) cars tend to win.
Of that list, I really don't know what car would win.

Cuore Sportivo

Galaxy

Two people here said iQ. Why?

What does the iQ have over the Aygo? The Aygo is more usable and gets better gas milage.

Galaxy

I think the Polo is going to take it. Lower interior noise then the last E class.

TBR

Quote from: Galaxy on June 26, 2009, 08:50:09 AM

What does the iQ have over the Aygo? The Aygo is more usable and gets better gas milage.

It's a novelty, just like the Prius that won it a couple of years ago.

CJ

After poking around the new E-Class, I can safely say that it's an absolutely superb vehicle.  Absolutely stunning in person and it feels like it's made of granite. 

ifcar

Quote from: CJ on June 26, 2009, 04:28:05 PM
After poking around the new E-Class, I can safely say that it's an absolutely superb vehicle.  Absolutely stunning in person and it feels like it's made of granite. 

Smooth but cold?

2o6

Quote from: Galaxy on June 26, 2009, 08:50:09 AM

It's very clever and smartly designed.

nickdrinkwater

What's clever about the IQ, except for maybe the seating layout?  The engines are c/o from the Yaris/Ago.

I don't think the IQ is really any more innovative than the Smart.

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 27, 2009, 08:34:49 AM
What's clever about the IQ, except for maybe the seating layout?  The engines are c/o from the Yaris/Ago.

A Smart with extra seating capacity is a big step up from a Smart.

2o6

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 27, 2009, 08:34:49 AM

The iQ is only 9 feet long yet manages space for three or four people, compared to the smart's 8ft length and only two passengers. The tricks and ploys to get the car to be so space-efficient shows some engineering prowess from Toyota.