Which European Brand Would You Love To See In The US?

Started by cawimmer430, June 24, 2009, 04:29:25 PM

Which one?

Alfa Romeo
18 (64.3%)
Citroen
0 (0%)
Dacia
1 (3.6%)
Fiat
1 (3.6%)
Lada
1 (3.6%)
Lancia
1 (3.6%)
Opel
0 (0%)
Peugeot
1 (3.6%)
Renault
2 (7.1%)
Seat
0 (0%)
Skoda
1 (3.6%)
None - I'd rather have a donkey as a means of transportation...
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pommes-T

The brand I missed most would be Skoda. Since they aren't considered as stylish as Alfas and stuff I guess if I was american that wouldn't be the brand I would mention here.
But Skoda builds great cars with a very high quality for a good price. I could see myself driving a Skoda Superb 3.6 Combi in a few years. (the Superb even won comparisons against the new A4. If I remember correctly: ALthough beeing bigger it's even faster, because it's lighter)
'00 BMW 523i

Xer0

I would love to get my hands on a Leon FR personally.  GTI in a more attractive package at a far lower price?  Were do I sign.

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 25, 2009, 05:55:54 AM
I personally find the new Delta to be very attractive. They look better in person and I have seen quite a few of them in Munich. Like I said, they'll probably be low volume in the US like Saab and will appeal to folks who want something semi-premium and individuality.

I do like the new Delta, but what's more important is that the very few people in N. America who are aware of the Lanica marque know them for the Stratos and Integrale. Crossing the pond without those cars would be almost pointless, especially as part of the Fiat group.

The cars I would bring to N. America if I were in charge of Fiat:
Fiat 500
Fiat Panda
Alfa MiTo
Alfa 159
Alfa Brera/Spider
Lancia Delta

Of course I would develop an "Integrale II" to accompany the Delta in shared Fiat S.p.A. showrooms, and eventually a Boxster-fighting Stratos when market conditions allow.

Yawn

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 24, 2009, 04:41:10 PM
If they came here with a reincarnated mid-engine Stratos and Evo/WRX-fighting Integrale, then that would be simply awesome. Otherwise, their lineup doesn't really look that compelling. I think it's kinda cool that the new Delta looks kinda like a Nissan Murano scaled down to the size of a VW Golf/Mazda 3, but what else do they have to offer? A minivan, a weird-looking city car, and a weird-looking sedan? meh.

I want to cruise around in a Thesis!!!

Yawn

I wouldnt mind if the VW group brought SEAT as a more affordable option.. It was rumored a few years ago but I doubt it..

Citroen may do well in the states.. Clean lines.. Similar styling to the Japanese

Raza

Quote from: Xer0 on June 25, 2009, 09:29:33 AM
I would love to get my hands on a Leon FR personally.  GTI in a more attractive package at a far lower price?  Were do I sign.

The FR is nice, but the Cupra has 240bhp and a passenger-punishing ride!  When you're the driver, you won't be bothered by it, but it'll annoy the hell out of passengers.  And do you know what that means? 

You'll never be chosen to be the designated driver. 

But why I voted Renault:

(That's the Renaultsport dCi 175...diesel!)

I don't like the new Megane much, but I could warm to it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: 2o6 on June 24, 2009, 06:29:07 PM

I really didn't like it in the first place. I hate it now that people keep talking about it.

You wouldn't want to see a Modus, Megane, Clio or 207 here?

Who'd want to see a Modus anyway?  It's ugly as fuck.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on June 25, 2009, 02:02:51 PM
I'll take a Clio with the rear engine please!

Yeah, me too!  But I limited my decision to being based on cars they produce now (or in the very recent past), because if any brand ever came over, it's not like they would bring thousands of used cars with them. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

Awesome looking car.

It would be interesting to do this poll the other way round.  Which American cars should be brought to Europe?

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 25, 2009, 02:10:25 PM

Awesome looking car.

It would be interesting to do this poll the other way round.  Which American cars should be brought to Europe?

Well, the three of you Europeans can sort of PM each other and then announce it to us, couldn't you?   :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 25, 2009, 02:08:29 PM
Who'd want to see a Modus anyway?  It's ugly as fuck.

I think it's a rather handsome car.

I think Citroen could be a Scion fighter, but actually have decent cars. Possibly along the lines of Volvo (but slightly cheaper), quirky cars that appeal to young upstarts.

Raza

Oh yeah, I see young people in Volvos all the time.  Just the other day my friend said he couldn't wait to get out of his Civic and into an S80.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19042.msg1094663#msg1094663 date=1245964350
Oh yeah, I see young people in Volvos all the time.  Just the other day my friend said he couldn't wait to get out of his Civic and into an S80.

Maybe VW would be a better comparison. However, I do see a lot of people in S40/V50's and C30's.

I could picture a C4 being a great alternative to the Rabbit.

MexicoCityM3

Of those brands we get Alfa, Fiat, Seat, Peugeot & Renault in Mexico along with a few Opels (through GM).

If I had to recommend only one of those it'd be Renault. The Megane RS & Clio are great cars. The 207RC Pug is also good.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on June 25, 2009, 03:14:20 PM

Maybe VW would be a better comparison. However, I do see a lot of people in S40/V50's and C30's.

I could picture a C4 being a great alternative to the Rabbit.

I agree, the S40/C30 is probably the second most popular vehicle for the spoiled brats of Wake Forest (the Range Rover Sport being the most popular).

TBR

Quote from: Yawn on June 25, 2009, 12:42:53 PM

I kind of like it too. The interior is awesome.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 25, 2009, 04:41:55 PM
I agree, the S40/C30 is probably the second most popular vehicle for the spoiled brats of Wake Forest (the Range Rover Sport being the most popular).

Well, around here, the C30 isn't popular with anyone.   :lol: 

I see Continental GTs ten times more often than C30s.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Quote from: Yawn on June 25, 2009, 12:42:53 PM

That car would probably make me speak in a ridiculous Italian accent

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on June 25, 2009, 04:45:18 PM
Well, around here, the C30 isn't popular with anyone.   :lol: 

I see Continental GTs ten times more often than C30s.

Well it's mostly S40s, but I see 3-4 C30s on a daily basis. One of them is even the T5 with a stick.

Minpin

No one else for the dacia sandero? Fuck you guys, me and james will be the coolest people this side of the Mississippi.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 25, 2009, 05:01:19 PM
Well it's mostly S40s, but I see 3-4 C30s on a daily basis. One of them is even the T5 with a stick.

I think they're all T5s, aren't they?

My local Volvo dealer (when it was a Volvo dealer) had one stick Volvo in the past five years.  S60R.  I've never even seen a C30 stick. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on June 25, 2009, 05:03:56 PM
I think they're all T5s, aren't they?

My local Volvo dealer (when it was a Volvo dealer) had one stick Volvo in the past five years.  S60R.  I've never even seen a C30 stick. 

Sure enough. Well it's the upper level model (has the two-tone paint).

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 25, 2009, 05:05:54 PM
Sure enough. Well it's the upper level model (has the two-tone paint).

When I was looking for a car (when the local Volvo dealer was still a Volvo dealer!), I stopped in, thinking it would be a fresh new model and they'd have manuals.  But they didn't.  Then I looked at the sticker, subtracted the $1200 or so an automatic costs, and quickly retreated.  They're ridiculously expensive; it's a shame, since they're cool, and it would be a nice direction for Volvo.  But that price means poor sales and poor sales means Volvo execs will stick to big boring sedans.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on June 25, 2009, 05:14:53 PM
When I was looking for a car (when the local Volvo dealer was still a Volvo dealer!), I stopped in, thinking it would be a fresh new model and they'd have manuals.  But they didn't.  Then I looked at the sticker, subtracted the $1200 or so an automatic costs, and quickly retreated.  They're ridiculously expensive; it's a shame, since they're cool, and it would be a nice direction for Volvo.  But that price means poor sales and poor sales means Volvo execs will stick to big boring sedans.

I don't understand why anyone would buy one over a GTI. Sure it looks better, but the GTI is better in every other way as far as I can tell, including price.

omicron

I shall not forgive Lancia in the near future, because the Fulvia Concept was a delightful idea that richly deserved to make production.

With current engine technology, that would be a fantastic little car.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 25, 2009, 05:28:28 PM
I don't understand why anyone would buy one over a GTI. Sure it looks better, but the GTI is better in every other way as far as I can tell, including price.

I don't even think it's better looking than a GTI.  And yes, the GTI is better in pretty much every way.

But the Volvo isn't the obvious choice, and even though it isn't a better car than the GTI, perhaps being different was enough.  If it had come out cheaper, I might be in one now, just because I don't like to be obvious.  And I love Volkswagens.  It's not that I revel in being a contrarian, I'm just wired that way.   :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

I'd certainly consider a C30, but only as a used proposition. Lovely little cars.