SENTENCED: Accident question (Total loss)

Started by AutobahnSHO, June 28, 2009, 03:27:38 PM

rohan

Quote from: NACar on July 09, 2009, 06:10:08 PM
Where in your cop driving handbook does it tell you that lowering and softening the front springs of a vehicle decreases oversteer?
Wait, I'm not even going to aruge with you. Argue with this chart, and I'll just watch:

God you can be a total fucking asshole sometimes.  Fuck off dickhead.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: rohan on July 09, 2009, 07:09:31 PM
God you can be a total fucking asshole sometimes.  Fuck off dickhead.

:clap:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

rohan

Sorry about that Ncar.  Up to my eyeballs here at work in stress and I took it out on you for your small swat at me.  I apologize I shouldn't have done that.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: rohan on July 09, 2009, 07:42:55 PM
Sorry about that Ncar.  Up to my eyeballs here at work in stress and I took it out on you for your small swat at me.  I apologize I shouldn't have done that.

Perhaps
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Quote from: rohan on July 09, 2009, 05:53:19 PM
that's bullsheet- I get 16.4 on average when I'm tooling around town- and the sticker on mine said 15 city  18 highway when the wife got it.  under athat it said city range 14-16 highway range 17-19.  I can also get 22 on the highway if I'm careful. 

The RWD Durango gets 13 mpg with the Hemi and 14 mpg with the 3.7 and 4.7. The GC and T&C gets 16 mpg with the 3.8 and 17 mpg with the 3.3 and 4.0.

While I generally agree that EPA numbers are too conservative (I get between 6-10 mpg more than the Prelude's rating), you can't use your real life numbers to compare with EPA numbers for other vehicles for obvious reasons.

TBR

Quote from: rohan on July 09, 2009, 06:06:07 PM
So don't tell I'm wrong when I'm not.  Mine said what it said and it's almost exactly right city- highway it's way off.

Under the same standard under which your Durango was rated 15/20 the Odyssey was rated 19/26.

The Pirate

Quote from: TBR on July 09, 2009, 08:45:22 PM
The RWD Durango gets 13 mpg with the Hemi and 14 mpg with the 3.7 and 4.7. The GC and T&C gets 16 mpg with the 3.8 and 17 mpg with the 3.3 and 4.0.

While I generally agree that EPA numbers are too conservative (I get between 6-10 mpg more than the Prelude's rating), you can't use your real life numbers to compare with EPA numbers for other vehicles for obvious reasons.

Definitely true.  My parents' Sienna easily beats it's EPA numbers on both the city and the highway, and the actual numbers are significantly better than real world SUV numbers.  But I agree, for the sake of a comparison, the EPA numbers should be used for everything, as that's a much better baseline than Rohan driving his Durango vs. Pirate's mom driving her Sienna.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

S204STi

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 07, 2009, 06:41:29 PM
See, that's what kills me!
Sure you can buy a van w/ our mileage and year for $2k (acc. to some company the Insurance co. pays.)
But will it be as reliable as our current ride? It was probably good for another 50k with just minor work. The only real issues were a few rust spots, 10yr old suspension, and we never did buy the keyfob for the keyless entry.

It was bought March 2005, $4500 cash, with 118k miles. So 4 years, 40k miles, a/c and brake repairs= $3600, other maintenance= $400, new tires last month  :rage: =  $400
We'll get $2500 from it, that equals out to an average of $125/month.
Not too bad, sure beats a huge car payment.   

(we have friends who insist on buying a new SUV every 3yrs. They don't want to risk breaking down, but they are so upside down on their loan it's not even funny. We didn't have a single breakdown in 4yrs. Just some obnoxious diy maintenance.)

Buying used makes more financial sense 100% of the time.  Don't let the Jones get you down, if you can live without the shiny toys you're better off.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on July 10, 2009, 03:26:54 PM
Buying used makes more financial sense 100% of the time.  Don't let the Jones get you down, if you can live without the shiny toys you're better off.

I'm kinda sad I'm bowing to marital pressure to go with an auto loan instead of just getting another beater van.
All of our cars were $2300 or less until the deceased van. It was $4500, and "only" 6yrs old. We're getting $3200 for it, and maybe financing another $5k (max.) I was approved for up to $11k, but I don't want a payment more than about $150/month.
We'll look around next week (when we have the money down in the account) and see what we can get for $7k.

-------------------------------------
PS- I faxed receipts for all the work done and they bumped the $2500 up to $3200. That takes my average of $125/month down to $114/month.  :)

PSS- I'm still SOOO bummed about the whole situation. I'm getting a $500/month raise in December, I wanted to eventually (next spring?) trade or sell our Caravan and get a really nicer van for the wife..  Oh well.
Will

AutobahnSHO

UPDATE:
I'm not going to Siberia!!!

"Ya'll have a seat" were the first words from the Judge.
He was 45minutes late, then I sat about an hour through a few people being in trouble for "disturbing the peace" -firing shotguns (we're in a kinda urban area,) and whatnot.

I pled guilty, answered "yes your honor" to a bunch of questions and he asked the guy I hit if my insurance had taken care of everything.

$160fine with no probation since I'm in the military. (?!)

I talked with the guy I hit for a second- everyone was ok and their car (a 2004 Cadillac) was totalled.
Will

dazzleman

What did they charge you with, Will?  I didn't realize you had a court appearance out of all this.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

S204STi

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 11, 2009, 04:09:47 PM
I'm kinda sad I'm bowing to marital pressure to go with an auto loan instead of just getting another beater van.
All of our cars were $2300 or less until the deceased van. It was $4500, and "only" 6yrs old. We're getting $3200 for it, and maybe financing another $5k (max.) I was approved for up to $11k, but I don't want a payment more than about $150/month.
We'll look around next week (when we have the money down in the account) and see what we can get for $7k.

-------------------------------------
PS- I faxed receipts for all the work done and they bumped the $2500 up to $3200. That takes my average of $125/month down to $114/month.  :)

PSS- I'm still SOOO bummed about the whole situation. I'm getting a $500/month raise in December, I wanted to eventually (next spring?) trade or sell our Caravan and get a really nicer van for the wife..  Oh well.

Well, one step at a time.  $150 a month ain't bad.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: dazzleman on July 21, 2009, 05:40:01 PM
What did they charge you with, Will?  I didn't realize you had a court appearance out of all this.

Failure to yield.
What fun. I was the best-dressed guy there (besides lawyers,) in khakis, casual shoes, white shirt and tie. Why do people show up to COURT in T-shirts and jeans??

sat through a couple almost-interesting cases and a LOT of people's names read who are losing their $350 bail money since they weren't there, then said, "Yes your honor" a buncha times, and wrote a check.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on July 21, 2009, 06:12:45 PM
Well, one step at a time.  $150 a month ain't bad.

We actually went with 60month financing, at $110/month. I plan on making a LOT of double payments.
I don't want any new debt, but it does help build our credit, the Kia dealership said we "don't have any car-buying credit."

And it's still more than $0/ month.

(((I REALLY like the new van though. Drove to Atlanta and back tonight. It's got a couple quirks I don't like, but I'm pleased. I almost actually want to take that rather than my subaru once in a while....)))
Will

dazzleman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 22, 2009, 07:54:41 PM
Failure to yield.
What fun. I was the best-dressed guy there (besides lawyers,) in khakis, casual shoes, white shirt and tie. Why do people show up to COURT in T-shirts and jeans??

sat through a couple almost-interesting cases and a LOT of people's names read who are losing their $350 bail money since they weren't there, then said, "Yes your honor" a buncha times, and wrote a check.

People dress like absolute slobs to go to court.  Just dressing decently gives you an advantage.  I found court pretty entertaining the last time I was there.  It's been a while now.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

sparkplug

Quote from: dazzleman on July 22, 2009, 07:57:19 PM
People dress like absolute slobs to go to court.  Just dressing decently gives you an advantage.  I found court pretty entertaining the last time I was there.  It's been a while now.

If I ever go to court, I'll remember that.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Tave

CHILES
              Is everybody ready? Didn't I tell you
              I wanted you to wear the cardigan?

GEORGE
              It makes me look older.

CHILES
              Look older? Do you think this is a game?
              Is that what you think this is? I'm
              trying to give you a moral compass. You
              have no moral compass. You're going
              to walk into that courtroom, and the
              jury's going to see a mean, nasty, evil
              George Costanza. I want them to see
              Perry Como. No one's going to convict
              Perry Como. Perry Como helps out a fat
              tub who's getting robbed.

(Jerry laughs)

CHILES
              Do you think it's funny?

JERRY
              No.

CHILES
              You damn right it isn't. You better
              not be carrying on laughing in that
              courtroom, funny man. Cause if you start
              getting all smart-alecky, making wisecracks,
              acting a fool, you gonna find yourself
              in here for a long, long time. I don't
              like that tie. Suzie, get one of my
              ties from my briefcase.

ELAINE
              How do I look, Jackie?

CHILES
              Oh, you looking good. You look strong.
              You one fine-looking sexy lady.

ELAINE
              Thank you, Jackie.

KRAMER
              How bout me, Jackie?

CHILES
              Kramer, you always look good. You got
              respect for yourself. You're genuine.
              Jury's going to pick up on that.

(Jackie hands Jerry a tie)

CHILES
              Here.

JERRY
              This one?

CHILES
              That's right.

JERRY
              Do I have to?

ELAINE
              Jackie says put it on, Jerry.

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

mzziaz

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 21, 2009, 02:31:49 PM
UPDATE:
I'm not going to Siberia!!!

"Ya'll have a seat" were the first words from the Judge.
He was 45minutes late, then I sat about an hour through a few people being in trouble for "disturbing the peace" -firing shotguns (we're in a kinda urban area,) and whatnot.

I pled guilty, answered "yes your honor" to a bunch of questions and he asked the guy I hit if my insurance had taken care of everything.

$160fine with no probation since I'm in the military. (?!)

I talked with the guy I hit for a second- everyone was ok and their car (a 2004 Cadillac) was totalled.

Sounds like you got off easy. Congrats  :ohyeah: Is the insurance gonna hurt much?
Cuore Sportivo

MaxPower

Quote from: Tave on July 22, 2009, 08:25:59 PM
                             CHILES
               Is everybody ready? Didn't I tell you
               I wanted you to wear the cardigan?

GEORGE
               It makes me look older.

CHILES
               Look older? Do you think this is a game?
               Is that what you think this is? I'm
               trying to give you a moral compass. You
               have no moral compass. You're going
               to walk into that courtroom, and the
               jury's going to see a mean, nasty, evil
               George Costanza. I want them to see
               Perry Como. No one's going to convict
               Perry Como. Perry Como helps out a fat
               tub who's getting robbed.

(Jerry laughs)

CHILES
               Do you think it's funny?

JERRY
               No.

CHILES
               You damn right it isn't. You better
               not be carrying on laughing in that
               courtroom, funny man. Cause if you start
               getting all smart-alecky, making wisecracks,
               acting a fool, you gonna find yourself
               in here for a long, long time. I don't
               like that tie. Suzie, get one of my
               ties from my briefcase.

ELAINE
               How do I look, Jackie?

CHILES
               Oh, you looking good. You look strong.
               You one fine-looking sexy lady.

ELAINE
               Thank you, Jackie.

KRAMER
               How bout me, Jackie?

CHILES
               Kramer, you always look good. You got
               respect for yourself. You're genuine.
               Jury's going to pick up on that.

(Jackie hands Jerry a tie)

CHILES
               Here.

JERRY
               This one?

CHILES
               That's right.

JERRY
               Do I have to?

ELAINE
               Jackie says put it on, Jerry.

nice  :lol: 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: mzziaz on July 23, 2009, 01:07:44 AM

Sounds like you got off easy. Congrats  :ohyeah: Is the insurance gonna hurt much?

Probably.
I totalled an old 3-series in Germany in 2004, and I kept the same insurer. My monthly rate was already a good $20-30 more than my wife's...
Will

Vinsanity

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 21, 2009, 02:31:49 PM

hmm, that's good to know...

How hard was the impact?
How did their car hold up?

AutobahnSHO

I was going 15mph? he was doing 45-50mph?

I T-boned him, he was swerving away from me slightly. NO airbags. ?!

My front bumper was caught by the rear of his front fenderwell. Tore off my bumper and bumper cover, and the lights. (One headlight was still like new as we collected the pieces!!) Cracked my windshield, messed up the radiator and engine.

Pushed his door in about 6inches, broke the windows on that side. Peeled the metal off in 3-4 horizontal lines going the width of the door. The passenger door was also dented in. Neither opened.  Surprisingly enough, it still drove just fine but the police made him tow it because the metal was sticking out at such an odd angle.
Will

Vinsanity

wow, I'm surprised his side airbags didn't blow; 6 inches seems like a good amount of distortion.

Then again, I'm also surprised his car was still somewhat driveable. Maybe the impact itself wasn't THAT severe, but damn

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 23, 2009, 01:52:58 PM
wow, I'm surprised his side airbags didn't blow; 6 inches seems like a good amount of distortion.

Then again, I'm also surprised his car was still somewhat driveable. Maybe the impact itself wasn't THAT severe, but damn

It sounds like it wasn't the van pushing into the Cadillac so much as the side of the Cadillac scraping along the front of the van. Six inches could just be sheetmetal without hitting the structure.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on July 23, 2009, 01:55:12 PM
It sounds like it wasn't the van pushing into the Cadillac so much as the side of the Cadillac scraping along the front of the van. Six inches could just be sheetmetal without hitting the structure.

Probably. But I don't think my door is that much wider than 6"

AutobahnSHO

Oh his door was really messed up. I THINK the B pillar was mostly unscathed. It didn't look bent or twisted at all. I could be wrong though.

The front of the door (and wheel well) were really munched.

It was a 2003 Deville. Red.
Will

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on July 22, 2009, 07:57:19 PM

Same here. I think I've told the story 100 times on here, but several years ago when I got a ticket and went to court to strike a deal, some guy came up to me and asked if I was his lawyer because I decided to wear a shirt and tie and sport jacket.

Laconian

I upped my uninsured motorist insurance after I went to court for my ticket. Well over half the defendants were there because of lack of insurance. Talk about eye opening!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

I upped mine just now too!
I didn't realize that the "state minimum insurance" was only $25k for damages, $50k personal injury.

If I'd hit and totataled a brand new car that could easily be over $25k damages.
$50k in medical expenses is what, a day in the hospital and a box of tissues???
Will

The Bartender

Sorry I'm late to the discussion, but you guys have just talked about a good chunk of what I do every day for a living.  I'm an ADA (Auto Damage Adjuster) for the third largest auto insurer in the country,  (Further hint, our spokes......animal, mentions this fact in one of our ads.)

The total loss situation isn't surprising.  Many states have either laws or at least guidelines that require or strongly recommend that insurance companies declare a car a total loss at about 75% of the retail value.  Even if they don't have such rules, most insurance companies will consider a car totalled at around that point based on the initial estimate because there is almost always another 10-20% of hidden damage once repairs are under way.

In MD, for example, the state requires that any vehicle with damage in excess of 75% of the retail value but under the actual retail value, MUST have a MD State Inspection performed if the owner elects to keep the car.  The insurance company totals the vehicle, the owner elects to buy it back, the title must go the MD MVA for processing and the title is held untilt he owner sends in the proof that the vehicle passed an inspection.  AT this time, the owner is themn issued a branded title indicating the vehcile was declared salvage.
Wastin' Away Again in Margaritaville!
#3 #8 #15 #29