I bought a car.

Started by CJ, June 28, 2009, 09:42:21 PM

CJ

It's a 1980 Volvo 242 GT (The badges are in the trunk).  I bought it for $250 and I have to get it home somehow.  It does run, but off of the bottle.  It probably needs fuel pumps.  It will be converted from K-jet to Megasquirt.  I AM PUMPED!  It's REALLY rust free, aside from the minimal surface rust. 

TBR

:facepalm:

Shouldn't you get the Volvo you already have running before you get a project car?

CJ

The one I have is running, thank you.  And it runs quite well.  Nothing wrong with it at the moment...which is why it's for sale.

TBR

Quote from: CJ on June 28, 2009, 09:45:48 PM
The one I have is running, thank you.  And it runs quite well.  Nothing wrong with it at the moment...which is why it's for sale.

I wasn't aware of this, regardless, that information just makes me :facepalm: more.

Some people buy cars for driving.

93JC

I love how you replaced a moderately reliable Volvo with an older one. :lol:

I must say I wouldn't do the same, but whatever floats your boat, dude.

Laconian

Quote from: CJ on June 28, 2009, 09:45:48 PM
The one I have is running, thank you.  And it runs quite well.  Nothing wrong with it at the moment...which is why it's for sale.
What, don't you trust Volvo's reliability?
...You don't? Why did you just buy another one, then? An older one, at that?

Oh well. This one is a classic brick, enjoy.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CJ

It's not replacing the 940.  It was $250...I couldn't pass it up.  I'm replacing the 940 with a V70 T5.

TBR

Remind us again why you are selling the 940 at all.

CJ

Vinsanity

Cool find, but have you looked at the problem areas specific to this particular car, and how much it's going to cost to fix those items and get this thing back in roadworthy condition?

Trust me, I've gone through a few project car phases myself, where I've wanted to pick up a barnyard find like this, but they don't call them money pits for no reason

CJ

I know what I'm getting myself into.

J86

Forget the negativity.  Good on ya!  Looks like you'll have a blast!

Cookie Monster

Nice!

What kind of transmission?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CJ

It's an M46.  It's a 4-speed manual + overdrive. 

sandertheshark

I'm sorry.

At least it's a bargain.

You could sell it for scrap and make a profit.

Have fun with that! :ohyeah:

Vinsanity

Quote from: sandertheshark on June 29, 2009, 12:10:13 AM
I'm sorry.

At least it's a bargain.

You could sell it for scrap and make a profit.

Have fun with that! :ohyeah:

:hesaid:

Pommes-T

Nice one! These coupes should be really rare. With a bit of work this can be a stunning car. Have fun with it!  :rockon:
'00 BMW 523i

Speed_Racer

Quote from: J86 on June 28, 2009, 10:47:50 PM
Forget the negativity.  Good on ya!  Looks like you'll have a blast!

Amen! That looks like a fun project car, and nice finding one w/ little rust. Keep us updated on the progress of it.

Raza

I can't believe you actually bought it!

Keep us posted with the project work.  You should start a Project: Volvo 242 GT thread in the Garage when you get some work done on it. 

That is, however, the second filthiest car I've ever seen.  (My brother's is worse, hehe)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

"She's a brick... duh duh duuuh duh... house!"

mzziaz

Congrats with the tractor, er, car.  :lol:
As far as beaters go, they don't get much better than the 240-series.
Cuore Sportivo

cawimmer430

You lucky bastard! Those are hot!  :rockon:

There is actually a Volvo Bertone Coupe like that at a gas station outside of Munich! Same color but in much better shape. It's also for sale. They're hot.  :mrcool:

Congrats!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

nickdrinkwater

I can't believe everyone is slagging him off.  This is supposedly an enthusiasts' website.  CJ good on ya for trying to restore a classic.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 29, 2009, 12:06:17 PM
I can't believe everyone is slagging him off.  This is supposedly an enthusiasts' website.  CJ good on ya for trying to restore a classic.
+1

I would love to have something like that right now...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

ChrisV

Yeah, very cool!

Some people buy cars to drive, others buy cars to BUILD and also drive. Good job!
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

the Teuton

I think I have found the only person on the forums who might be more of a specific brand whore than I am.

Good luck with it, CJ.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CJ

Quote from: the Teuton on June 29, 2009, 12:49:42 PM
I think I have found the only person on the forums who might be more of a specific brand whore than I am.

Good luck with it, CJ.

You have no idea how much I love the GT.  There's one a few streets away that I've been eyeballing ever since I knew of its existence.  The fact that I even FOUND one was a marvel in and of itself.

The Pirate

Quote from: CJ on June 28, 2009, 10:14:13 PM
I know what I'm getting myself into.

I'm curious to see if you still agree with that statement when all is said and done with the car.  Not ragging on you, but it's very easy to underestimate the amount of work (and cost) a backyard find will need.  Keep us posted on your progress, it's a neat car.

I was originally going to call you nuts, as that doesn't like like it'd be an ideal replacement for your 940 (I was thinking daily driver), but I see that it's going to be a project car.  Have fun with it!

Going to put a 302 in there?  :devil:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on June 29, 2009, 03:33:52 PM
I'm curious to see if you still agree with that statement when all is said and done with the car.  Not ragging on you, but it's very easy to underestimate the amount of work (and cost) a backyard find will need.  Keep us posted on your progress, it's a neat car.

I was originally going to call you nuts, as that doesn't like like it'd be an ideal replacement for your 940 (I was thinking daily driver), but I see that it's going to be a project car.  Have fun with it!

Going to put a 302 in there?  :devil:

Here's a picture of it in its glory:

(Forgive the size)

Fucking gorgeous, if I were being asked.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

I agree with a 302. Putting Megasquirt on that old POS would be silly, but putting Megasquirt on a 302 would be glorious.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)