Aston Martin readying Toyota iQ-based city car

Started by SVT666, June 29, 2009, 08:56:30 AM

SVT666

Aston Martin readying Toyota iQ-based city car

Aston Martin has a knack for producing some of the most beautiful cars in the world, but the firm?s latest project could bring that reputation to a screeching halt. In order to pass more stringent upcoming fuel economy regulations, Aston Martin is readying its own version of the Toyota iQ city car.

As strange and blasphemous as it sounds, Aston Martin is indeed working on an iQ of its own, officially dubbed the Cygnet. The tiny hatch is still in its concept phase, but is reportedly being strongly favored for production. To prove the Cygnet is not just a vaporware joke, Aston Martin released a single teaser image of the dressed up iQ.

The teaser image reveals the Cygnet is basically a Toyota iQ in Aston Martin clothing. Up front is Aston Martin?s signature grille, with hood louvers giving the Cygnet way more bark than bite.

Although the standard interior of the iQ is rather sparse, the Aston Martin version will be completely revamped. Expect plenty of fine leather with quality standards up to those of the company?s DBS supercar.

Although the Cygnet wears the Aston Martin badge, don?t expect much in the way of performance. The iQ?s drivetrain will remain essentially intact, which means a three-cylinder will be the Cygnet?s source for motivation.

Although Aston Martin has yet to release specific details on the Cygnet ? such as price and a release date ? company CEO Ulrich Bez is high on the project. ?Much work is still required, but I am confident that this project could become reality in the not-too-distant future,? Bez said of the Cygnet. Surfacing reports suggest the Cygnet will list from 23,000 euros ($32,300), with 2,000 examples slated to be produced each year.

Unlike supercar makers such as Ferrari and Lamborghini, Aston Martin doesn?t have a parent company to leverage fuel economy averages. As such, Aston needs a car like the Toyota-sourced iQ to bring its emission average in line with new standards slated to take effect in 2012. The Cygnet is said to be reserved for current Aston Martin owners, which should give the volume model a bit of exclusivity.

giant_mtb

Raza

Either this is a joke, or those men are working awfully fast. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

mzziaz

It's got to be a joke.
What a marriage from hell that would have been.  :facepalm:
Cuore Sportivo

ChrisV

I like it quite a bit. But then again, I like the idea of a premium supermini, for city use where congestion charges are the norm, and parking is very hard to come by (remember the Top Gear with Clarkson and company taking the big luxury cars downtown London and trying to find parking spaces?). I've always loved the performance versions of the Japanese kei cars (like having AWD, turbocharged 5 valve percyl crazy revving little engines in a tiny car). This thing would still be exclusive, and I'm sure luxurious inside. And I think it looks vastly better than most superminis and kei cars.

Of course, they are only selling it to people that already HAVE an Aston, it's not like it's being marketed to Joe Sixpack down in the trailer park...

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ifcar

Are you legally allowed to determine who can and can't buy your product?

Cookie Monster

Is the iQ RWD?

This thing better have 250 + hp and a 6 speed manual.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

J86

Quote from: ifcar on June 29, 2009, 10:17:07 AM
Are you legally allowed to determine who can and can't buy your product?

Doesn't seem to be a problem...for example, the Stirling Moss edition SLRs were only offered to people who already owned an SLR.

68_427

Wasn't the Enzo originally only offered to those who had an F40 and F50 previously?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

ChrisV

There is a lot of precedent for limiting who can buy/use your product. "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."

Plus, We're talking European commerce laws anyhow.

SVT666

I think it looks pretty cool, though I would like to see a performance version with 170 hp.

ChrisV

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 29, 2009, 11:33:46 AM
I think it looks pretty cool, though I would like to see a performance version with 170 hp.

Yeah, it needs a 150-200 hp engine so it can outpower those old turbo Kei cars...

let's see a tuner step up...

hell, I'll take a used one and mod it. Would make a perfect commuter...

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on June 29, 2009, 12:12:42 PM
Yeah, it needs a 150-200 hp engine so it can outpower those old turbo Kei cars...

You and I are on the same page here Chris.  It's too bad that they have to make them exclusive to keep Aston's image intact, because I would love to see these things mass produced.

RomanChariot

These will probably be a buy-one-get-one deal with their other cars.  That would drastically reduce their CAFE, get their badge seen more often, and not cost the buyers much more than what they might shell out for custom branded luggage.

TBR

Quote from: RomanChariot on June 29, 2009, 01:10:01 PM
These will probably be a buy-one-get-one deal with their other cars.  That would drastically reduce their CAFE, get their badge seen more often, and not cost the buyers much more than what they might shell out for custom branded luggage.

It won't be sold in the USA so it won't impact CAFE, but I imagine that the EU has some equivalent. That has to be the reason, I can't imagine they are going to be making enough money on it to bother unless they have another motivation.

I must say I question their ability to move 2000 of these a year if they are only going to sell them to Aston Martin owners.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on June 29, 2009, 01:15:49 PM
It won't be sold in the USA so it won't impact CAFE, but I imagine that the EU has some equivalent. That has to be the reason, I can't imagine they are going to be making enough money on it to bother unless they have another motivation.

I must say I question their ability to move 2000 of these a year if they are only going to sell them to Aston Martin owners.

They're selling a subcompact car for $33,000 -- that's not a bad profit margin.

It will indeed be interesting to see where sales come from; maybe dealers will pick them up as loaners.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on June 29, 2009, 01:32:09 PM
It will indeed be interesting to see where sales come from; maybe dealers will pick them up as loaners.

I wouldn't doubt that for a second.

This makes the X-Type almost seem like a bargain.  For me to believe the Holocaust is really coming, all I need to see now is a Tata Nano with Connolly leather.

As for the concept and idea behind it, I am in awe of the ingenuity of Aston Martin.  I approve of this completely.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Byteme

I think the two door 3 Series BMW is classified as a sub-compact and they cost even more.  Personally I'd take a subcompact AM over a BMW. 

the Teuton

Quote from: ChrisV on June 29, 2009, 12:12:42 PM

You do know what kind of car that is, right?  There are a handful of legalized ones of those in the States and Canada.  I want one.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: Byteme on June 29, 2009, 01:55:23 PM
I think the two door 3 Series BMW is classified as a sub-compact and they cost even more.  Personally I'd take a subcompact AM over a BMW. 

The 3 series coupe is 99.6 combined cubic feet, which puts it, just barely, in the compact category (subcompact cuts off at 99, or, if we're rounding, 99.4).  It's a hair. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

RomanChariot

Quote from: TBR on June 29, 2009, 01:15:49 PM

Yeah I was just responding to this statement from the original post.

QuoteUnlike supercar makers such as Ferrari and Lamborghini, Aston Martin doesn?t have a parent company to leverage fuel economy averages. As such, Aston needs a car like the Toyota-sourced iQ to bring its emission average in line with new standards slated to take effect in 2012. The Cygnet is said to be reserved for current Aston Martin owners, which should give the volume model a bit of exclusivity.

CAFE may not be the correct term but they are only doing this to keep regulators off of their backs because of their low fuel efficiency averages.  Borrow a cheap highly fuel efficient car, put your own badge on it and sell it with your mega-buck exotics and you solve your problem.  If you make it a package deal you assure that you meet your goals and your buyers aren't likely to flinch at a minor price increase considering how much they are already paying.  Plus the buyer gets a novelty car for running errands or sending the kids to school in.

68_427

I would like to see a supercharged engine back in Aston's lineup.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

"So I see your Vanquish out in the parking lot today.  Nice, sir."

"Thanks.  I have a DBS on the way.  I ordered it 6 months ago.  It should be here anytime now."

"How are the wife and kids?  Isn't Junior getting his license soon?"

"Yeah"

"What's he going to drive?  Certainly, you're not going to let him drive the S63 or the Range Rover.  He'll kill himself."

"Yeah, you're right.  Those are a bit much for him right now.  But he's getting an Aston Martin, too."

"What do you mean?  None of them are particularly suited for a 16-year-old.  And I was worried about you letting your kid borrow the Range Rover."

"No, no, Johnson.  He's getting the new Aston Martin iQ.  It's a two-door, three-seater.  It's a neat, little car."

"Ah, yes, British three-seaters.  Proper supercars."

"Yup, 1.3 liter 3-cylinder.  The kid will love it -- except when the son of the arrogant pricks down the street want to race him against his M3."

SVT666

Raza

Took too long to get to the punchline. 

Comedy, much like life, is about timing.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on June 29, 2009, 02:35:20 PM

:lol:
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on June 29, 2009, 02:35:20 PM

It's been one of those kinds of days.  I don't care.

TBR

$20k if it was simply an iQ with an Aston Martin badge, but it isn't. It will have a significantly revised exterior and a completely different, much posher interior. On an absolute level, whatever is left over will be a relatively small margin.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R