Volvo C30

Started by 93JC, June 30, 2009, 07:35:33 PM

93JC

Fucking sexy.

Okay, so now that that's out of the way: I don't think I could ever buy this car.

The interior is great: the materials, fit and finish are all top-notch. The ergonomics are great too. There's tons of room in back, despite the roofline and the lack of rear doors. And even though the form-over-function hatch cuts down the opening, there's a generous amount of luggage room too.

The problems with this car are brief but important. The price is too high first of all. C$35,960 for a 2.4i with an automatic, sunroof, "premium package" and DynAudio sound system is way too steep, Volvo. It's nice but it ain't that nice.

The other problems are dynamic, specifically the steering and braking. They're too light. There's feedback, they're both linear in operation, the effort is just too slight. I like steering with a little weight to it, and brakes with a little more resistance in the pedal.

Given the exterior I expected more Mini Cooper thann, well, Volvo 240, in these respects.

omicron

Oh, bother. Don't say that! I like meaty steering, too, so now you've gone and ruined my C30 dreams.

280Z Turbo

Larger pulley for the power steering and a less aggressive brake pad compound. Problem solved!

Vinsanity

I test drove one when they first came out a few years ago. I did notice the brakes were a bit soft and grabby, and that the steering was lighter than the S40, but I don't remember thinking it was too light ... maybe it had to do with the fact that I was already used to the numb, overboosted, lifeless steering of the Camry I was renting at the time, but I figured Volvo made the steering that way to make the car feel more nimble or something.

My biggest complaint, actually, was that the clutch engagement point was all the way down on the floor, which made me stall the car several times.

Fine car, though, other than the fact that many extra-cost options such as cruise control should be included at no cost in the car's base price.

93JC

Yes, I think I could deal with the shortcomings if the pricing was more generous. I was shocked to find out that the leather shift knob and steering wheel were only available with the premium package. If this car was $24,000 instead of $36,000 I'd probably have driven it home. But for what it is it's just too steep. Oh well.

The Pirate

Quote from: 93JC on June 30, 2009, 08:47:17 PM
Yes, I think I could deal with the shortcomings if the pricing was more generous. I was shocked to find out that the leather shift knob and steering wheel were only available with the premium package. If this car was $24,000 instead of $36,000 I'd probably have driven it home. But for what it is it's just too steep. Oh well.

So what else are you looking at? 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

It's too much bloody money for what you get.  You pay a premium for a car not as good as a GTI in any way.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

I'd rather have a Jetta for the price. The S40/C30 looks great, but it doesn't seem to be worth it.

omicron

A Focus XR5 Turbo with the T5 engine, five doors, more interior space and an equally-sharp exterior costs around 15% less than a C30 T5 ($36,990 vs. $43,450).

93JC

Quote from: The Pirate on June 30, 2009, 09:35:55 PM
So what else are you looking at? 

:huh: :lol:

Everyone seems to keep telling me to try a GTI, or at the very least a Rabbit, but I have no desire to own a Volkswagen. The C30 interested me mostly because of the looks. I knew going in it would be expensive, but I wanted to see how it would perform anyway. I'm not really interested in any of its competitors.

If anything I'm looking for something roughly-speaking that size, but closer to half the price. I tried a Saturn Astra: it was too slow. I've tried a Pontiac G5 and Ford Focus for shits and giggles, and so far the Focus is the most complete package. A little chintzy on the inside but overall it's the best performer for what it is.

The Hyundai Elantra Touring is the most appealing car left that I have yet to try. I'll also try a new Mazda 3 (although I already know it's too much $$$ like the Rabbit...), Civic, Forte, Soul, Lancer, Impreza... to be honest the only ones I've ruled out completely are the Cobalt/G5/HHR, Elantra sedan, Spectra, Corolla and Matrix/Vibe.

Oh, and Caliber/Compass/Patriot and PT Cruiser. So low on my radar I almost forgot they existed.

TBR

Quote from: 93JC on July 01, 2009, 10:21:58 AM
:huh: :lol:

Everyone seems to keep telling me to try a GTI, or at the very least a Rabbit, but I have no desire to own a Volkswagen. The C30 interested me mostly because of the looks. I knew going in it would be expensive, but I wanted to see how it would perform anyway. I'm not really interested in any of its competitors.

If anything I'm looking for something roughly-speaking that size, but closer to half the price. I tried a Saturn Astra: it was too slow. I've tried a Pontiac G5 and Ford Focus for shits and giggles, and so far the Focus is the most complete package. A little chintzy on the inside but overall it's the best performer for what it is.

The Hyundai Elantra Touring is the most appealing car left that I have yet to try. I'll also try a new Mazda 3 (although I already know it's too much $$$ like the Rabbit...), Civic, Forte, Soul, Lancer, Impreza... to be honest the only ones I've ruled out completely are the Cobalt/G5/HHR, Elantra sedan, Spectra, Corolla and Matrix/Vibe.

Oh, and Caliber/Compass/Patriot and PT Cruiser. So low on my radar I almost forgot they existed.

The Impreza and Mazda3 are priced almost identically, at least in the USA. Though you could probably deal more with an Impreza.

S204STi

I love the C30 on the road, but I don't see it as being a real hot hatch.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

the Teuton

Don't do the Rabbit/Golf.  It's an incredibly refined car, but it's completely overrated, imo.  The brakes are too grabby at city speeds, the engine sounds like a diesel (even in the gas model!), and the seats are fairly uncomfortable.  That, and no reasonable straight man owns one.

Proof:

-My boss drives one.  He's a bit of an asshole, but he seems reasonable.  I just found out yesterday the guy is gay.  True story.

-Raza ain't reasonable.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 30, 2009, 08:02:44 PM
Larger pulley for the power steering and a less aggressive brake pad compound. Problem solved!

Steering issue more likely due to front end geometry.

Quote from: the Teuton on July 01, 2009, 10:27:47 AM
Don't do the Rabbit/Golf.  It's an incredibly refined car, but it's completely overrated, imo.  The brakes are too grabby at city speeds, the engine sounds like a diesel (even in the gas model!), and the seats are fairly uncomfortable.  That, and no reasonable straight man owns one.

Proof:

-My boss drives one.  He's a bit of an asshole, but he seems reasonable.  I just found out yesterday the guy is gay.  True story.

-Raza ain't reasonable.

I have to disagree.  The only two things that kept me from buying a GTI over the WRX were the AWD and perceived reliability.  Otherwise it was great fun to drive, if not quite as powerful. 

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on July 01, 2009, 10:52:19 AM
I have to disagree.  The only two things that kept me from buying a GTI over the WRX were the AWD and perceived reliability.  Otherwise it was great fun to drive, if not quite as powerful. 

Are you a reasonable straight man, and do you own one? 

I rest my case.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on July 01, 2009, 10:54:04 AM

I rest my case.

I drive a Subaru, which automatically calls into question my sexual orientation and IQ.  Have you met the average WRX driver?  Holy crap, if there was ever a good argument for abortion, that is it.

J86

Quote from: R-inge on July 01, 2009, 11:02:31 AM
I drive a Subaru, which automatically calls into question my sexual orientation and IQ.  Have you met the average WRX driver?  Holy crap, if there was ever a good argument for abortion, that is it.

:lol:

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on July 01, 2009, 11:02:31 AM
I drive a Subaru, which automatically calls into question my sexual orientation and IQ.  Have you met the average WRX driver?  Holy crap, if there was ever a good argument for abortion, that is it.

The average WRX owner is a lot like the average Honda owner except with a bit more douche, a lot less rice, and a generally less Ebonics.  The average WRX owner also has a bit more technical skill.

In any case, Jettas were designed to house the asses of skinny white women.  This is fact.

J86

Where the white women at!?

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on July 01, 2009, 11:07:12 AM
The average WRX owner is a lot like the average Honda owner except with a bit more douche, a lot less rice, and a generally less Ebonics.  The average WRX owner also has a bit more technical skill.

In any case, Jettas were designed to house the asses of skinny white women.  This is fact.

:lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on July 01, 2009, 11:07:12 AM
The average WRX owner is a lot like the average Honda owner except with a bit more douche, a lot less rice, and a generally less Ebonics.  The average WRX owner also has a bit more technical skill.

In any case, Jettas were designed to house the asses of skinny white women.  This is fact.

Re: this and your Golf/Rabbit post.  I know you aren't that much of an idiot, so what gives? 

Sweeping generalizations like that are full of shit, and just make you look like a punk.  Sure, a base model Jetta is going to have a certain amount of appeal to a driver (and yes, lots of them are women) who wants a decent sized, comfy car that isn't as mundane as a Corolla.  Same can be said about certain trims of the Civic, Impreza and Mazda3.  Each of those cars also offers a rorty version (GLI, Si, WRX, MS3) that is a credible enthusiast option.

And the whole Golf/Rabbit for a gay man?  :facepalm:  Gay peoples car tastes run the gamut, just like anybody else.  I know of gay people that drive Chevy Silverados, Pilots, Impalas, Civics, Subarus, etc.  Having a preference for a person of the same sex has little to do with what one prefers in a car.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

DISCLAIMER TO CAVEMAN:

SWEEPING GENERALIZATIONS AND SARCASM LEND TO HUMOR.  SORRY FOR OFFENDING YOU.  THAT BEING SAID, THE JETTA ISN'T MY FAVORITE CAR IN THE WORLD.  AND YES, I'D BUY A COROLLA BEFORE I'D BUY A JETTA.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on July 01, 2009, 11:32:16 AM
DISCLAIMER TO CAVEMAN:

SWEEPING GENERALIZATIONS AND SARCASM LEND TO HUMOR.  THAT BEING SAID, THE JETTA ISN'T MY FAVORITE CAR IN THE WORLD.  AND YES, I'D BUY A COROLLA BEFORE I'D BUY A JETTA.

You're an idiot.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on July 01, 2009, 10:54:04 AM

I rest my case.

:facepalm:

Tell me again how you came to the conclusion that the car is overrated?  Is it the multiple magazine comparison wins, the five star Evo and Car rating, the Top Gear COTY award, or something else? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19105.msg1100316#msg1100316 date=1246469597

Tell me again how you came to the conclusion that the car is overrated?  Is it the multiple magazine comparison wins, the five star Evo and Car rating, the Top Gear COTY award, or something else? 

I would consider one if I was in the market. I like the fact that it looks larger than it is.

Teuton doesn't like big things. A Solara convertible would be up his alley.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on July 01, 2009, 11:33:17 AM

First, they don't have the sucktastic 2.5 in Your-Rope.  It has enough get up and go, but it's not my favorite.  That engine was panned when it was in the Euro Bora.

Second, those same multiple mags that have handed the Jetta wins also said that the the M3 was a better car than the GT-R.  I don't trust most magazines' opinions as fact.

Vinsanity

I'd take a good look at a Jetta for the moar hp. They seem to be about the same price on the used car market.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on July 01, 2009, 11:35:27 AM
A Solara convertible would be up his alley.

I'm not going to lie, I'd drive one.  It wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I wouldn't turn one down.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on July 01, 2009, 11:36:38 AM
First, they don't have the sucktastic 2.5 in Your-Rope.  It has enough get up and go, but it's not my favorite.  That engine was panned when it was in the Euro Bora.

Second, those same multiple mags that have handed the Jetta wins also said that the the M3 was a better car than the GT-R.  I don't trust most magazines' opinions as fact.

Being nitpickey, the Bora is no longer called the Bora. It's now the Jetta again. Intrestingly enough, the MK3 Jetta was called the Vento.

Quote from: the Teuton on July 01, 2009, 11:37:44 AM
I'm not going to lie, I'd drive one.  It wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I wouldn't turn one down.

I would take anything at this point.