Volvo C30

Started by 93JC, June 30, 2009, 07:35:33 PM

J86

Quote from: the Teuton on July 01, 2009, 11:37:44 AM
I'm not going to lie, I'd drive one.  It wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I wouldn't turn one down.

My uncle has a red 5 speed first gen Solara.  He calls it his sports car just to get a rise out of me :lol:

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on July 01, 2009, 11:36:38 AM
First, they don't have the sucktastic 2.5 in Your-Rope.  It has enough get up and go, but it's not my favorite.  That engine was panned when it was in the Euro Bora.

Second, those same multiple mags that have handed the Jetta wins also said that the the M3 was a better car than the GT-R.  I don't trust most magazines' opinions as fact.

With regards to the European magazine, I was talking about 2.0T cars, mostly the GTI.   

The Rabbit also beat the Impreza, Focus, Corolla, Astra, Lancer, xD, and SX4, with the "sucktastic" 2.5L I5 in C&D.  It was also named one of the most fun cars under $20,000.  The GTI just beat a group of more powerful, faster, newer cars in its class despite not being the best performer by the stopwatch. 

I really have a hard time believing you dislike the A5 cars on their merits or shortcomings. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19105.msg1100316#msg1100316 date=1246469597
:facepalm:

Tell me again how you came to the conclusion that the car is overrated?  Is it the multiple magazine comparison wins, the five star Evo and Car rating, the Top Gear COTY award, or something else? 

Most overrated things get more positive attention than they deserve, right? Isn't that the definition of the term?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on July 01, 2009, 11:43:47 AM
Most overrated things get more positive attention than they deserve, right? Isn't that the definition of the term?

So the logic here is that if everyone thinks it good, it can't be? 

It's a car, not a band.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19105.msg1100341#msg1100341 date=1246470516
So the logic here is that if everyone thinks it good, it can't be? 

Anyone who thinks a car is overrated would not be surprised to find positive feedback about that car.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

93JC

Quote from: TBR on July 01, 2009, 10:25:30 AM
The Impreza and Mazda3 are priced almost identically, at least in the USA. Though you could probably deal more with an Impreza.

Yeah, they're pretty similarly priced. The 3 is available in the stripped-down GX model with a 2.0 L engine for $16,000-$17,000, but it jumps quickly once you start adding options.

I don't really like the Impreza, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Quote from: R-inge on July 01, 2009, 10:25:44 AM
I love the C30 on the road, but I don't see it as being a real hot hatch.

It isn't. It's, like, the hot hatch for old fogies who don't want a hot hatch. If there was a Buick hot hatch I think it would be something like this.

Although I'll give it this: the handling is great. No body roll, no pitching and wallowing from being underdamped and oversprung: very, very neutral. I liked that about it.

Quote from: Tave on July 01, 2009, 10:26:24 AM
Genesis?

I want something more practical.

(And I think it's ugly.)

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19105.msg1099941#msg1099941 date=1246419454
It's too much bloody money for what you get.  You pay a premium for a car not as good as a GTI in any way.

IMO, the C30 is better looking and has a better interior than the GTI.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on July 01, 2009, 11:53:00 AM
Anyone who thinks a car is overrated would not be surprised to find positive feedback about that car.

Well, I could be stubborn, but I suppose you're right on that front. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 01, 2009, 12:04:29 PM
IMO, the C30 is better looking and has a better interior than the GTI.

I could see you on the exterior looks (though I don't agree with you, but it is, at least, partially subjective) but after spending time in both, I couldn't honestly say that the C30's interior is better.  They're close; it's not as if I'm saying the GTI is leagues ahead or anything, but I prefer the design and materials of the GTI.  I think the C30's interior is cool, but the shiny dashboard is just a little grating. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Mark, what about a used Mazdaspeed3 or Civic Si sedan?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19105.msg1100361#msg1100361 date=1246471661
I could see you on the exterior looks (though I don't agree with you, but it is, at least, partially subjective) but after spending time in both, I couldn't honestly say that the C30's interior is better.  They're close; it's not as if I'm saying the GTI is leagues ahead or anything, but I prefer the design and materials of the GTI.  I think the C30's interior is cool, but the shiny dashboard is just a little grating.  

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from with the grating thing, I might get sick of that dash too.  FWIW I don't think the Mk5 Golf GTI is a bad looking car - but I still think the Mk4 is the best looker.  The new one is totally bland.

Have you driven the C30, and did you consider it when you were looking for a car?

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 01, 2009, 12:14:20 PM
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from with the grating thing, I might get sick of that dash too.  FWIW I don't think the Mk5 Golf GTI is a bad looking car - but I still think the Mk4 is the best looker.  The new one is totally bland.

Have you driven the C30, and did you consider it when you were looking for a car?

I did consider it when looking; two things kept me from driving it though.  The exorbitant price tag being one (the cheapest on the lot was $28,000) and the other being the fact they didn't have a single stickshift car available.  I didn't see the point in driving a car that would feel so different from the one I considered purchasing.  But as cool as these cars are and even if they had a stick, I don't think I could have justified the extra expense ($4,000 more than the GTI I was considering; and really $5,000 when you factor in my loyalty bonus) unless it was demonstrably better in a way other than being not the obvious choice. 

You know, I used to feel the same way about the A4s; but now that I seem them and A5s on the road together so often, I think, other than in R32 guise, the A5s look better from bottom to top.  The mundane Rabbits look much better than the mundane A4 Golfs, and the A5 GTI looks better than the A4 GTI (to me, anyway).  The R32s are still a toss-up though.  Some days I think MkIV, some days MkV. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19105.msg1100398#msg1100398 date=1246472716
I did consider it when looking; two things kept me from driving it though.  The exorbitant price tag being one (the cheapest on the lot was $28,000) and the other being the fact they didn't have a single stickshift car available.  I didn't see the point in driving a car that would feel so different from the one I considered purchasing.  But as cool as these cars are and even if they had a stick, I don't think I could have justified the extra expense ($4,000 more than the GTI I was considering; and really $5,000 when you factor in my loyalty bonus) unless it was demonstrably better in a way other than being not the obvious choice.  

You know, I used to feel the same way about the A4s; but now that I seem them and A5s on the road together so often, I think, other than in R32 guise, the A5s look better from bottom to top.  The mundane Rabbits look much better than the mundane A4 Golfs, and the A5 GTI looks better than the A4 GTI (to me, anyway).  The R32s are still a toss-up though.  Some days I think MkIV, some days MkV.  

28k?!  That's ridiculous.  I know you guys get a bigger engine, but I think after discount you can get an R-Design 1.6 C30 for ?15k.  That's an official promotional discount, not including haggling.  I would never pay 28k USD for a C30, either!

The A5 is definitely more modern but somehow the A4 is just classier to me.  It was the first car that brought the premium feel to the mainstream market, and Ford and Vauxhall have mimicked that ever since here.  The A5 is supposedly superior in every aspect, but I just find that the A4 has more character.

It's funny you should mention the R32.  I saw an A4 R32 today - they're much rarer than the new shape R32 here.  It may be my bias again, but they look a lot more special than the A5 R32, which to me is a GTI with a blue paint job and a chrome grille  :lol:  No offence.

Of course, on your side of the argument is that the A4 GTIs were watered down and mediocre, whereas the A5 GTI is (was) a class leader.

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 01, 2009, 12:39:32 PM
28k?!  That's ridiculous.  I know you guys get a bigger engine, but I think after discount you can get an R-Design 1.6 C30 for ?15k.  That's an official promotional discount, not including haggling.  I would never pay 28k USD for a C30, either!

The A5 is definitely more modern but somehow the A4 is just classier to me.  It was the first car that brought the premium feel to the mainstream market, and Ford and Vauxhall have mimicked that ever since here.  The A5 is supposedly superior in every aspect, but I just find that the A4 has more character.

It's funny you should mention the R32.  I saw an A4 R32 today - they're much rarer than the new shape R32 here.  It may be my bias again, but they look a lot more special than the A5 R32, which to me is a GTI with a blue paint job and a chrome grille  :lol:  No offence.

Of course, on your side of the argument is that the A4 GTIs were watered down and mediocre, whereas the A5 GTI is (was) a class leader.

Yeah, the only engine we get here is the turbo five out of the Focus ST.  Starting price on that model is 19K and change (GBP, of course) which is about what a GTI costs over there, right?

The A4 did indeed change the market of economy cars.  Actually, since I started driving Volkswagens, their interiors have impressed me, full stop, even without regard to price.  And, although I haven't spent much time in A4s, I'm told the interior of the A4 was slightly higher quality than the A5.  I'll have to believe it for now, I guess. 

But then again, the A5 is (was) the class leader.  That always feels good.  :lol:

However, if we had Seat here, I'd probably be driving a Leon FR or Cupra.  I like things that are a bit less obvious. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

The local Volvo dealer was expecting to receive a stickshift C30 with no options besides cruise control, and they offered to to me for $24k. More reasonable, but even at that price, there were better choices for me.

93JC

Quote from: the Teuton on July 01, 2009, 11:36:38 AM
First, they don't have the sucktastic 2.5 in Your-Rope.  It has enough get up and go, but it's not my favorite.  That engine was panned when it was in the Euro Bora.

Two completely different engines. The Bora was available with a 2.3 L VR5.

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on July 01, 2009, 12:07:41 PM
I think the C30's interior is cool, but the shiny dashboard is just a little grating. 

:confused:

Shiny?

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on July 01, 2009, 12:08:16 PM
Mark, what about a used Mazdaspeed3 or Civic Si sedan?

Rare. Asking price is about the same as a new one. (~$35,000)

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on July 01, 2009, 01:20:39 PM
:confused:

Shiny?

You didn't think it was shiny?  The center console, specifically?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on July 01, 2009, 01:21:13 PM
Rare. Asking price is about the same as a new one. (~$35,000)

So what else are you looking into?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

J86

Oooooooooooh shiny....

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on July 01, 2009, 01:24:01 PM
So what else are you looking into?

I already posted that shizz.

Quote from: Raza  on July 01, 2009, 01:23:20 PM
You didn't think it was shiny?  The center console, specifically?

No.

:huh:

J86

i love that center console.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on July 01, 2009, 10:21:58 AM
:huh: :lol:

Everyone seems to keep telling me to try a GTI, or at the very least a Rabbit, but I have no desire to own a Volkswagen. The C30 interested me mostly because of the looks. I knew going in it would be expensive, but I wanted to see how it would perform anyway. I'm not really interested in any of its competitors.

If anything I'm looking for something roughly-speaking that size, but closer to half the price. I tried a Saturn Astra: it was too slow. I've tried a Pontiac G5 and Ford Focus for shits and giggles, and so far the Focus is the most complete package. A little chintzy on the inside but overall it's the best performer for what it is.

The Hyundai Elantra Touring is the most appealing car left that I have yet to try. I'll also try a new Mazda 3 (although I already know it's too much $$$ like the Rabbit...), Civic, Forte, Soul, Lancer, Impreza... to be honest the only ones I've ruled out completely are the Cobalt/G5/HHR, Elantra sedan, Spectra, Corolla and Matrix/Vibe.

Oh, and Caliber/Compass/Patriot and PT Cruiser. So low on my radar I almost forgot they existed.

Not considering used cars?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: J86 on July 01, 2009, 01:39:27 PM
i love that center console.

The floating design is very nice; I just think all that apparently un-shiny stuff would get on my nerves after a while. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

It'd be cool if the C30 had the spaceball shifter like the rare stickshift S60's

Rich

Quote from: Raza  on July 01, 2009, 01:41:18 PM

What he said.  I remember you being in love with the '05 Mustang roof line when it came out
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 01, 2009, 01:41:57 PM
It'd be cool if the C30 had the spaceball shifter like the rare stickshift S60's

Is it different from the S60R's?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on July 01, 2009, 01:41:18 PM

Not in this area, anyway. You see, there's a global economic crisis right now. People are losing their jobs. Consequently these people are selling the cars they can no longer afford to keep. But, they're upside-down on the loans: the cars are worth less than the outstanding principal. Despite the fact the cars are completely, utterly, totally not worth what people are asking for them, they won't budge on price. Because they need the money to pay off the rest of their retarded loan. And they get very offended when you tell them, "Look, I understand your predicament, but I'm not going to buy a used one with 60,000 km on it for $500 less than a new one."

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on July 01, 2009, 01:41:54 PM
The floating design is very nice; I just think all that apparently un-shiny stuff would get on my nerves after a while. 

I honestly don't know why you think it's shiny. The one I drove was silver with a fake satin (somewhere between glossy and matte) finish. It wasn't distracting at all.